Author Topic: Used Record Shop Treasure Hunt  (Read 6083 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Used Record Shop Treasure Hunt
« on: December 03, 2005, 04:55:07 PM »
I took a few CDs to the local hole-in-the-wall used record shop this morning to see if I could trade them in for something interesting.  It's really a treasure hunt in there; some records are on the shelves in alphabetical order, but there are just as many stacked in random piles in the aisles.  I even had to step over piles of 45s to get to the back of the shop.

Anyway, I came away with a very good quality copy of "The Last American Virgin" Soundtrack with a different studio mix of I Will Follow, and a promotional copy of the "They Call It An Accident" Soundtrack, with extended and instrumental mixes of October, that is open but looks to be unplayed.

I picked up those two LPs for an "even swap" of a couple old Led Zeppelin CDs (I recently bought the complete studio recordings box set) and a few other things I never listen to.

Just thought I would share.  Anyone else have any recent successful used record shop stories?

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »
Nice deal!

I've had some unexpected finds in shops like these.  The places that specialize in obscure/hard-to-find stuff are cool, but treasure hunting in that type of shop is not so much hunting as it is like...  buying gourmet dinner.  Not nearly as serendipitous as finding that sweet deal in a mess of 80s new wave and piles of disco!

Yeah, the hole-in-the-wall shops with bins of unsorted vinyl and CDs...  I can spend hours just searching for that great deal on a holy grail.  My poor girlfriend has to drag me out of places like those sometimes.  =P

I suppose my best find in a place like that would be a copy of U2: Three (not the numbered version, but the second pressing of the 12" vinyl - sunburst CBS sleeve).  I remember paying less than $30 for it, so I'd say they sorta knew what they had.  It was in an unsorted bin, though, so either someone was hiding it to pick up later, or it got misplaced, or...  who knows.  Maybe I was meant to find it!

Off the top of my head, I've been fortunate enough to pick up a 12" Mission Impossible single from a totally unsorted bin, a Sunday Times CD (Elevation-era promo) and a Passengers:OS1 vinyl from Amish country (!) here in PA, and a French 7" Two Hearts from a shop smaller than my bedroom.  

(There was no unique yellow sleeve with that THBAO vinyl, though, so if anyone has one, look me up!)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:38:28 PM »
Those are some pretty good deals.  I paid way more than $30 for my copy of Three. :)