Author Topic: Anaheim 2 Recap (MASSIVE Spoilers)  (Read 6698 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Anaheim 2 Recap (MASSIVE Spoilers)
« on: April 03, 2005, 05:30:12 AM »
Overall I'm going to talk about my thoughts on the setlist in general and each of the songs.  I'll be putting in spoilery spoilers as I'll be describing a lot of neat/new things that you will WANT to experience yourself.  I already knew that there would be Electric Co., 40, that at one point they played Gloria, etc due to various spoilage online, which I tryed to avoid, which merited some wonderful moments for me.

Main Set:
Love and Peace or Else - What a way to start the show, given the song's long snythy intro it is a natural opener - the band walking the ellipse with flashlights skittering into the audience was pretty cool.  The distorted “everyone” vocals coming into this with fighter jets screaming around- powerful stuff if a bit more obvious than the minimal ominous sounds the studio version had. I don't think it needs to have SBS/Bullet after it to stay strong (as in the middle of SD and intro to Anaheim 1).  It is one of the songs from the album I was dying to hear live and also one I knew would be hard to pull off live as well.  The middle 8 and the transition out of it seemed a bit off a bit off (but it seems to be getting better night by night).  The solo itself rocked, with Bono taking over the mini drum kit Larry played near the tip of the ellipse and banging away.  Lovely song.

Vertigo / Stories For Boys - It seemed faster than usual.  Bono's timing was off on the verses as usual but it seemed more intense than on the TV recordings.  At "and no one gets hurt" he really delays singing "hurt" and the music just stops a few seconds, similar to the 'slow down' in the video version I suppose.  It makes more of an impact but also interrupts the pacing a bit. When the song ended and the cymbals kept on going then the bass came back in I thought "oh how cool, they've made a little coda for it"  Then he starts singing SFB! Wow! The lyrics are sung over almost "vertigo-light" instrumental parts making it even cooler.  When he reaches "Hello, hello" the song slams back into Vertigo.  A wonderful parallel between the two eras.  Thematically it works well as a follow up to LAPOE (confusion following discord, deliverance from chaos, etc) while setting a tone for the show as a whole copmared Anaheim 1 (though listening to that now it was a really strong first half of the set).

Elevation - The first two verses (+ first chorus) are sung over just Edge playing two chords over and over, and larry providing hi-hat hits.  It WORKS.  At this point I was like "damn, they're being pretty creative this time."  I found it cool Edge emphasized "mole, hole, soul" like fans did during the last tour, melody is a bit different, at the end of the slow part Edge plays a silly little riff.  Apparently it was supposed to go full band after the first chorus in an earlier show but Larry goofed, and it worked so well they kept it.

The Cry - Electric Co. - I knew it was coming but still great.  Bono had some new lyrics for The Cry.  It keeps up the energy/heaviness of the beginning of the set.  The time period thing seques well into the next song...

An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart - This blew my mind.  Never expected to hear this - I got goosebumps during the transition, powerful moment, Bono kind of laying on the ellipse/crawling around.  Bono grabbed someone's girl and walked around with her a bit and then said "raise your arms and see what happens"....

City of Blinding Lights - Little sparkly confetti rained down among the lights (no doubt delighting the girl) the whole first verse or two fit well with that as well, thematically nice rolling off of ITH.  The backdrop was *really* cool for this song, reminded me of some kind of abstract cyberpunkish backdrop (which was emphasized by some scrolling Japanese text near the end - Tokyo archetype city of the future).  The "time, time" part didn't come out too well, my favorite part of the song.

Beautiful Day - Again, this song really works after COBL nice thematic tying in... the set really flowed. Nothing really new or exciting here until the end, when Bono motioned for Edge to keep playing the ending phrase while he sang Blackbird on top of it, that toning down of things segued really well (you must be getting tired of that by now!) into

Miracle Drug - Long Bono chat about the Pope over Edge playing the intro riff over and over (poor The Edge!).  Beautiful work done using the stage lighting, very unique.  Heavy backing synth/sfx compared to the early BBC broadcast, no MIDI backing from his guitar.  Was peeved Bono sang along to Edge's verse (apparently the night before Edge’s mic cut out, so I’ll forgive him though).

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Again dedicated to the pope... you know this song's gonna make it in, and it doesn't really fit anywhere better at this point.  He added in an extra line from 'no regrets' at the end.  The CG postman on the backdrop was a bit cheesy, arrangement of the song didn't seem as good as on TV appearances but it might have just been the sound where I was sitting.

New Year's Day - Yeah, the rebirth song (after UTEOTW, etc).  Dunno, been there done that.  Great song but compared to the stuff before it rather familiar live.  Got the highest approval rating of any song up to this point judging by the cheers when it started.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Well it fits after NYD due to them being on the same album.  I swear this is faster than it was last tour.  Bono had a world religions bandana on, said some lines about us knowing what was on his mind.Bono does the "no more" bit in the middle - REALLY resonated with the audience (and myself) I found myself really getting into the song after having NYD being the first real "passive listening".  After the normal ending they did the lil drum pickup thing, I thought they're going into their little live version coda.  Mid measure it slams into (wow!!!!)  

Bullet the Blue Sky - Hands That Built America - I WASN'T expecing this to come in where it did.  Edge's solo was pretty raw distortion, then went into BLUES!! I'm not talking about R&H "Edge play me the blues" either.  There are some recognizable licks here and there, but it is pretty much a new solo.  Amazing (after listening to previous three nights this was much more original).  Ala Popmart there is a plane in the background, this time instead of a cartoony fighter it is a F-22 Raptor (or something like that, the new JSF plane?).  Either way there aren’t all that many countries that have them. Bono puts the bandana over his eyes and sings this creeeeepy THTBA... then to a verse from this song http://www.instantknowledgenews.com/johnny.htm then back to Hands.  Shivers up and down my body. Perhaps to stave off belligerence from the crowd at the end of the song he said “this next one goes to the brave men and women of the armed forces.” Of course knowing the ZooTV/Vietnam connection I had a good idea what that song would be, and how ambivalent that statement might turn out to be... always looking at the humanistic side of things, taking an angle not always appreciated. [I didn't catch it but he did similar poses as in LA 2 - see that for description].

Running to Stand Still – Yup. Edge on piano, Bono contributing a handful of notes on an acoustic guitar – beautiful… got goosebumps around the third verse.  There is an instrumental outro where the beginning of the UN Declaration of Human Rights is displayed. http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html Articles 1-2 (and part of the preamble?) are shown text only, 3-6 are recited in somewhat broken English by a video-recorded girl. 3 naturally got a wonderful response from the crowd, 4 got an amazing amount of cheering (it seems a bit dated for such a large response) and 5 (which I think hits hard on the whole widespread use of “coercive interrogation techniques” leading in dozens of cases in death, administration legal workings to justify said actions, extracting prisoners for “interrogation” in countries that are known for torture, refusing the red cross access to certain detention areas, etc), 6 which would undermine the patriot acts holding people indefinitely with no legal counsel, etc.  I doubt the armed forces are turning to Heroin etc as much as the forces in Vietnam (the inspiration for the zootv running order, the helicopter sounds deliverance into streets, at the end as Bono wrapped in opposing flare signals of yellow/red) , but another link would be how the war in some aspects seem to be ‘standing still’ despite massive money and effort exerted.  It seems an odd piece, in context, to get across "supporting the troops is different than supporting the war", it seemed more sympathetic in ZooTV (the smoke remains, though uncolored in this version).  Heavy song...

Zoo Station – I thought I heard the closing bars soundchecked but didn’t believe it’d be in the set.  I was screaming my little head off when this came up… I associate it with the opening of ZooTV, never thought I’d see it in the middle of a set.  The stage had some really cool lighting, Edge had a little headset so he could sing while playing/walking around the ellipse. Bono didn’t seem up to this one lyrically (he repeated some lines in BTBS, LAPOE’s middle, and a few other places too).  At some point near the beginning he sang “it’s not alright, not alright” I kind of associated it with the violation of Geneva conventions (perhaps reading too much into it, but why else have this song after RTSS?). Great song, I was wondering “I hope this doesn’t mean I won’t get the fly.”  

The Fly – As close to a ZooTV concert as I’ll ever get… sigh.  Had a cool intro where they looped Edge’s playing and Larry came in on top, a more traditional arrangement than last tour aside from that, with the chorus featuring both vocalists. Bono sang along with Edge’s part of the chorus before his part came in with a lower/distorted voice – it kind of diluted the impact but worked well at other times.  Edge seemed to have his pitch bend effects off during the solo and it came off a little flat.  The LCD drapes flashed ZooTV phrases over them – I was in heaven.   Nice kind of information overload can’t-take-it after Zoo Station and the preceding songs.

Mysterious Ways – Heh, keeping up the little ZooTV block.  I love the song, but miss the Elevation intro, no piano parts either.  An odd song to close the set with, but I always that solo they tagged onto the ending.  Perhaps a kind of "well we might not understand it, but things will work out" kind of message - or just leaving things on a happy dancy note.

Africa Encore:
Pride – A great song, but I never got much out of hearing it live.  Bono had the audience do the little “oh oh” (My throat got tired… I was dry coming into the show but wasn’t gonna spend no $4 for bottled water once inside) stuff for a long time while he talked about Dr. King’s dream not just being for the US but for the world – equality in Europe, Asia, and Africa, Africa, Africa.  Odd that he didn’t mention the M.E.  If you support a modernistic spread of values “dream big enough to fit the whole world” it seems fair to assume that would somewhat support the neo-conservative “new American century” they’re trying to build up.  

Where the Streets Have No Name – It ties into the song before it, odd spot in the concert for it.  Instead of the traditional red dawn and then blinding sunrise you see a lot of African flags flowing down the backdrop.  The lighting didn’t seem as dramatic as past tours.  An amazing song live presented in any manner.

One – Didn’t recognize the synth riff repeated in the background at first, interesting inversions on the chords.  Nice for Edge he didn’t have to play while Bono plugged the One Campaign.  Bono had all the lights turned off, and had people hold up their cell phones, they did look like stars shining in the night.

God Encore:
All Because Of You – This song is growing on me, it feels a lot more alive than it used to, when it wasn’t in the main set I figured it might be used to open up an encore.  Bono tried playing tambourine… his technique was pretty jerky and it sounded off.  The shaker in Stuck worked a lot better. He missed the little scream moment as he moved over to shake the tambourine near Edge’s head.  Funny.

Yahweh – It started off as an acoustic number, with Adam adding some subtle bass and Larry playing keyboards (?!). I like it a lot better than the album mix, the feeling of the song really comes out a lot clearer.  I’m not sure if Larry had the wrong sample loaded on his keyboard or if they wanted it to be clear he wasn’t playing a backing track as it sounded like a $50 radio shack string sample.  This encore doesn’t seem to work as well, the songs fit well lyrically but not so much musically.

40 – Bono apparently forget the lyrics, melody, or both, as he had to run over to Edge and have him sing in his ear.  I think Edge went over to Adam and told him the chords as well.  Weird – it’s such a critical song.  I tried to do the “how long to sing this song” for as long as I could, but my throat was shot from Pride and my voice kept cracking on the “how.” Still went on.

What I’d change:
Keeping things realistic – no Like A Song, Acrobat, etc. Move Elevation between Fly and MW [possibly after, it would fit well near it with the new intro - perhaps it was just an abrupt transition that evening that makes me want to put something between those two...] leaving Vertigo – Electric Co with a much more energetic intro.  Perhaps replace Yahweh with Gloria, or put Gloria before Yahweh to make ABOY not stick out so much. Take out NYD and replace with Crumbs, or Gone. There are no songs from Pop!  Hell, toss in Discotheque/SATS after MW?  And Xanax and Wine somewhere? (OK that last isn’t realistic).

Overall I thought it a great setlist, more balanced than Anaheim 1 thematically.  Interesting to see them take out some staples – Bad, UTEOTW, WOWY (though I’d like any of these over Pride it is a pretty integral part of his campaign encore and don’t expect to see it go).  I thought at times the prompting for audience singing was a bit overdone or detrimental, especially at the "oh oh whoa whoa" part of Miracle Drug where Bono wasn't even sure of what to sing and what to expect from the audience - perhaps that just keep that within the band, it's neat to see Larry singing back up in any case.

[Edited on 2005-4-9 by Carl]

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »
Pretty cool. Thanks, Carl! I can't wait to see and hear for myself but will have to for a whole academic term...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 09:47:37 PM »
Carl, glad to hear you made it to a show.  Thanks for the review.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:28:01 PM »
Thanks, it was great to be at one.  The review reads more analytically than it felt at the moment - hoping to score some GA this tuesday (perhaps wednesday?) and get the full floor experience, ellipse or not.  The light show was pretty amazing, I'm glad I got a seat but it was hard to see what was going on at times (though things weren't quite as small as I feared they might be), the TV screens seemed really low contrast, and the occasional tints didn't help.  Sound also left something to be desired.  I was in Row F of section 404 - a nice clear view next to an aisle.  Most importantly inside the door! I'll do a little pre-concert write up since I've been so prolific this post.

update: here's section 404.

The pre-show experience:
It was close... I showed up (late due to malfunctioning alarm clock) and when I got there a bit after 2pm there was a horrifically long line at the box office (well it's a saturday in LA).  The line stopped moving shortly after I got there.  I was right behind two U2 fans from the Netherlands - they flew over and saw the first three shows (only having tickets for two of them).  We chatted a bit and then I went to caruse the GA line.

I said hi to the first familiar face and asked if there were any tickets to spare. She didn't have any left, but pointed me over to someone who knew someone that did (whew).  They got there earlier and scored GAs and were looking to unload seats, I was offered a $98 seat for $50 (which made my day, though I payed $60 to be a bit more fair) due to their joy at being on the floor.  I hooked the pair of visitors from the Netherlands up with a pair of $50 behind/sidish the stage from the same group... and ended up floating between GA (hoping to get floor - nothing to lose!) and the box office line, chatting with familiar and new faces alike.  It really got my enthusiasm up, after a dullish spring break of staying to work and make up some hours lost during finals week and realizing that a little road trip up the coast + going to concerts + buying textbooks this week wouldn't be financially feasible.  I personally enjoy the whole "line experience" and it psyched me up to hit both the Staples shows instead of just one (I saw some $170 seats online a few days ago, but... ouchy!).

There was a guy with a busted up knee (swollen to 3x it's normal size) with a little icechest to carry icepacks around in.  He ended up getting in with a pair of ticketfast tickets someone brought him, so that's good.  Tryed to find him something but couldn't get any more.  Around 8:30 the line was still occasionally getting trickles of tickets (two lines for one window, go figure) but it was time to say "well I'm in the door fantastic - floor some other day" and head to the arena.  I know there must have been a lot of people that had to resort to scalpers or go home with nothing...

Oh, and Aaron - one of the Netherlands guys is a collector, has almost all the Holland stuff and some more to boot.  He mentioned visiting the site, I talked about things and he said he noticed white spaces where we don't have stuff.  He doesn't have a computer at home now but he's thinking of getting one soon (hopefully with a scanner).  They have a plane leaving 4am wednesday but hopefully they'll try and give LA 1 a try.

[Edited on 2005-4-4 by Carl]

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 04:49:29 PM »
Sweet.  This has really got me pumped up for the shows.  I won't be seeing them until the third leg but I have a ton in life to keep me busy until then.

I have behind the stage seats for the Atlanta show.  Am I screwed, or from your experience seeing the stage, is all hope not lost?  This will be my first show, and I want it to be ideal... but then again, I am just happy I was able to get tickets.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 06:45:29 PM »
I heard someone talking about having behind the stage seats and being really happy with the view, they were down lower not in the terrace though (200 level? 300?).  There really isn't any large obstructions in the back, the "screens" are strings of LCDs kind of like curtain doors (or whatever you call them).  Obviously it isn't the most desirable place to be but it may be better than having a front view but being waaaaaaay back.

If you can get away from real life duties for the day you can try showing up early and snagging either a better seat or floor ticket and then selling your tickets at face to fans at the show.  If not - hey you're in the door!

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 03:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I had thought about trying to find better tickets elsewhere and selling my tickets.  The problem is, in the rush to complete my order with ticketmaster, I wasn't thinking about selling them, so I had them send my tickets via email.  I imagine that would be tough sell to a stranger.  But I do have some friends who would trust me enough to buy them.

I am in the lower level (not the floor) at least.  I just wish I wouldn't be looking at "my boys" backs.  

I have always been a believer that they shouldn't sell behind the stage seats.  I saw Phish in Philly that way and really felt taken out of the whole experience.  But I am going to remain optimistic.  You are right... at least I am in the door :)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 02:36:58 AM »
I talked with the two dutch guys today and they thought that the sound behind the stage at the pond ($50 - sec 425) was better than their $171 ticket much nearer the stage etc at Staples.  I'd say floor at staples was a lot better than my 404 at the pond (staples overall has crap acoustic for seats) but didn't seem as good as most other floor shows I remember - night two should be better calibrated though.  

My seat had the advantage of a front view of lights and backdrop, but couldn't really see the details of what was on stage or even the little TV screens.

If you get something better, awesome.  If you don't, I think a lot of tapers think the best seats are behind the stage. :)

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 09:39:06 AM »
That is encouraging.  Thanks :)

I am so excited to see them.  It should be a great time.  By then, I will be done with my dissertation (hopefully), out of debt, and guilt free (due to the previous two).  It will be a glorious day.  I can't wait.