Author Topic: ABOY video on espn  (Read 15447 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »
I think a social critique of romance consisting of primarily/uniquely of sex appeal would be valid.  However the album itself seems to promote this, to a certain extent "I could never take a chance, of losing love to find romance" can definately contain emotional/intellectual attraction present in a fling but when it is put in direct contrast to "love" one thinks at the very least of increased shallowness, and nothing says lack of depth like physical superficiality.  I suppose you're going along the lines of Love contains elements of Romance, and though one has precedence over the other they aren't mutually exclusive?

If the shirt is meant as a refute of classical puritanish ideals (perhaps along the lines of big girls are best) ie my wife is a mother and I love her but I find her sexy and there is nothing wrong with that, that'd be cool with me - and it seems to be where you were taking it.  But the design of the shirt seems a bit off for that... and it would make more sense for "Beauty is good" or something from the band.  And again the shirt didn't say "Romance is good" but "Sexy is good" so your last remark doesn't really apply to the shirt in and of itself.

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »
Hmm. I meant to say that love is inclusive - in love there are rules (!) and within those rules, i.e. within a context defined by steadfast love, "sexy is good".  "Romance" is the impoverished version or even parody of love where "sexy is good" and "there are no rules"... So maybe the t-shirt can be used to supplement "A Man and a Woman" - although I'd have to agree that a t-shirt may not be the most suitable place to do so, it looks a little too much like an open invitation...

As I've had a look at the t-shirt just now, I saw the Larry Mullen apology - better than the earlier U2.com one, I'd say. (Of course it continues to fail to address the situation of those who got tickets but are nevertheless not quite happy - I could have got pretty much the same pricey ticket without being a member of U2.com - I tried it.)

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 10:31:10 PM »
I can't seem to be able to save them from the itunes site at all.  They don't seem to be caching, so the usual methods aren't working.  Anyone have any luck?

Oh yeah... I am on windows.  TIA.