Author Topic: SYCMIOYO Video  (Read 8953 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
SYCMIOYO Video
« on: January 31, 2005, 05:29:54 PM »
Here's a direct link to the "member exclusive" video, which should work for everyone, I think.

http://www.u2.com/secure/video/media/q_H_SOMT.mov

Only cost me $40. ;)

[Edited on 2005-1-31 by Brad]

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 01:02:07 AM »
Thanks.  I got audio only. Played on my Quicktime player. Sound was excellent. I think I like this version better than the album cause there's less production ( like the DVD version).
But I'm curious about the where and when.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:20:19 AM »
My guess is it's from the BBC broadcast with Jo Whiley.  Thanks for this treat. :)

There isn't any backing track (the strings are MIDI effects from Edge's guitar - similar to those used on ISHFWILF on Elevation Leg 3) and he doesn't have the Scott Walker lines at the end.  The pronounciation of "own" around 4:40 should cinch it, it is pretty unique.  The small crowd safely behind a glass barrier reminds me of etheir that show or one shortly before it... the one where they redid sometimes due to people waving around during it or something?? My audio/video of what promo stuff I did grab (it was near the beginning of the lyrics mess) is on another computer right now so I can't double check.

Try upgrading Quicktime if there isn't any video, it worked for me.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 12:55:58 AM »
Yup-I have multiple quickplayers and didn't even know it. I got the right one to play the video! This is the Hanover Quay BBC broadcast for the contest winners. U2star has the mp3s of all the songs from that set but at 128k theirs is very tinny sounding. I remember plowing thru the BBC broadcast that was posted the day after that show. And that must be Jo herself at the end juicing over the band, heh. I had pictured that show differently in my mind. The fans were indeed looking in at the band like spectators at a zoo.
Bono nailed the "is to fake it" line.
Thanks again Brad.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 02:39:48 AM »
Is there a public link for the new studio stuck video?

Any link posted here would just be testing if they had changed their setup of course. ^^

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 08:55:07 AM »
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...

http://www.u2.com/secure/video/media/q_H_SOMT_F.mov

*cough* Right click and save as... *cough*

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
Right click and save as don't work in Firefox, but I load the song and then save the file.  Very intheresting.

Gotta love the fact it is in the "secure" folder. :)

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 01:34:47 PM »
Was that a dry cough?

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 04:16:49 PM »
I have to say this might be their best video - it is one their most artistic and most meaningful, and the two are often somewhat opposed.  Most of the studio videos don't do much for me, the ones that do (off the top of my head and in rough order)  are Please, Stay, Lemon, BD, HMTMKMKM, Numb, Stuck (euro), the FLY, NYD, A Celebration (for fun).

I do have one gripe, but I'll try to explain in a non spoilerish way... it seems like at one point the two aspects of the video come together/meet, but then it still cuts off to the first one which seems a bit out of context at the moment.

A fun aside, the band plays facing the backdrop of the theatre??? I assume this is just so you can have their faces visible and still show the theatre behind them... or does it have some deeper point?

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 02:03:52 AM »
You mean right after the curtain opens but they switch back to the street scene? It kinda broke the effect for me as well. I thought they could have milked the theatre part a bit more. Shooting from the audience side might have done it better. Maybe the idea was putting Bono in his old man's shoes seeing it from his view looking out. But then the band would have been facing the other way...

What deeper meaning?  My first thought to your comment was now, now you don't mean they're pulling a Miles Davis?
That's a wicked one. Splain yourself.

By the way, was that Bono's old bedroom?

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 02:29:46 AM »
The going back to the street after he reached the theatre kind of threw the mood for me - having kind of reached the band / support unit, both Bono and the Band were missing something without each other, perhaps the music helped bridge what he had lost.

The facing away from the audience allowed us to see the seats etc in the theatre framed behind the band, and it worked well as you see them playing there with the curtain down from the same angle, but it still seems odd.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 12:54:21 PM »
When The Doors first started performing live, Jim Morrison used to sing with his back to the audience because he had such bad stage fright.

Somehow I don't think that's ever been an issue with Bono.

I agree that there's probably no deeper meaning than they wanted to show the theater in the background.

And yes, going back to the street scene after Bono has entered the theater is distracting.  Still easily the best video from the current album so far.