Author Topic: Anyone else have a dream? DVD  (Read 7082 times)

slaneman

Anyone else have a dream? DVD
« on: January 23, 2005, 01:57:27 AM »
Inspired by Jimbo's "Slane castle promo" thread
I was going to post this at the end but was hoping to get into a broader,  non-computer, i.e. subject matter where  I'm less of a klutz.

carl- here's another embarassing motzah ball for ya

I have a dream..
 The zoo concert and red rocks are finally put on dvd- this time in the new HD-DVD video format with DTS-HD sound.  But a dual layered version so it still plays on current dvd players. That way everybody can be happy. These releases will ( at least temporarily) satisfy the lunatic U2 dvd fan who might otherwise have spent 40 bucks on an old charity concert 4 disc set just to see two rather musically weak tho highly cringeworthy Bono exhibitions. Gaak.

Since I'm dreaming, these releases will also have a companion cd or cd's if necessary for the complete soundtrack...COMPLETE SOUNDTRACK. Forget the "bonus" crap like dvd rom calendars.

Now I'm in a coma..
The cds will be SACD hybrids for us audio geeks.

Now I'm on drugs..
 The Bomb tour or vertigo tour or whatever will not be "filmed"but recorded using the best HD cameras like they use for HD sports broadcast. 1080P, why not? This produces a better video quality than film transfers. (I've seen Rattle and Hum in HD).  In fact, we will finally be able to discern Bono's hair color that night and whether Larry has had plastic surgery. This will keep the groupies happy. More importantly for you "transcribers", the improved video will allow lip readers to once and for all decode Bono's mutterings. Think of the consequences!
 This HD "Vertigo DVD"  will be unedited start to finish. UNEDITED. Every false start and choked lyric will be left in. (The band will have signed a cease and desist order banning them from the final mixing seesions.) The bonus "making of " disc will contain soundchecks, backstage banter, and shots from roving cameras during the show from under the stage with the sequencer crews, including Edge setting up his pedals etc. Fell free to add your own extras here.

And then I fall down and wake up.

Anyone else have dream dvds?

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:35:48 AM »
I am with you.  Heck, I am still waiting for Zoo TV, Red Rocks, PopMart, and the videos 80-90.  We know they have them, why not release it?

I am sure the new tour is going to get a nice release.  Should be something special.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:39:44 PM »
Well you may be dreaming, but according to thedigitalbits.com, Rattle and Hum will be included in Paramount's first wave of HD-DVD releases.

[Edited on 2005-1-25 by Brad]

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 04:54:28 AM »
I'd love to see the ZooTV and Popmart videos on DVD.  They could easily add in TTTYAATW from Sydney that was dropped due to VHS constraints - not sure about the full macphisto speech and confessionals but those aren't so critical.  I actually have no real experience reading lips so I'm not sure how that would go. :)

It's odd all the treatment R&H has been getting, a DVD, and now the new HD-DVD (u2log had a good article about that a while back).  I suppose it is because it was an actual movie and not just a tour video so it is more marketable?

At the moment my U2 related dreams would be to get GA tickets for the two shows at the Staples Center and to have my lyrics archive go back online.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 10:31:27 PM »
I've seen R and H in HD in our store on the Comcast HD cable box.  They hyped it for a week and it was funny to see that old trailer.

Carl, you'll get tickets and your lyrics back online. I got here via atU2 only a couple weeks before they went down but spent several pleasurable evenings here simply amazed at the work put into this site. There's gotta be some justice here.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 10:27:18 AM »
I know this isn't exactly the same but...

http://www.abbeyroad.com/studio3/

as reported over at atu2.com.... look under the recent artists and projects area.  Sweeeeeeeeet.

Anyone else hear any news on this supposid DVD box set mentioned on atu2.com?

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 01:52:14 AM »
I read about this back in Dec.

U2tour.de got a newsletter from Universal Music ( last dec.) that contained a list of upcoming releases for 2005.
It listed for May 2005 "U2 - DVD Box Set: Nach ihrem 11. Studioalbum veröffentlich die größte Band der Welt im Frühjahr 2005 endlich eine DVD Box, auf die die Fans schon sehnlichst gewartet haben."

Verstehen Sie?

U2tour.de voiced skepticism and listed other newsletters from Universal that had promised forthcoming dvds from U2 like Best of 1980-1990 as early as 2002. These never materialized.

But now with the Zoo TV project listed at abbeyroad.com they seem more optimistic.

Zoo TV looks promising but what else might constitute a "Box Set" isn't actually mentioned.

I searched the Universal site but they don't post newsletters apparently. I haven't read the Record Collector magazine article that atU2 mentioned. I'm not a collector. Maybe someone else has.

Here's the link for the archived news article from U2tour

http://www.u2tour.de/news/article1868.html

My German's a bit rusty.  Maybe Between Two Worlds can translate better.

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 12:40:52 PM »
You've understood the quote all right, I think. It says (roughly, in idiomatic English): ""U2 - DVD Box Set: Following their 11th studio album, the biggest band of the world will publish  a DVD box in spring 2005, an event which has been eagerly awaited by fans."

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 10:41:48 PM »
Excellent. Thanks!

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 11:51:08 AM »
Seems more "news" was released today on this.  Head over to http://www.u2newzooland.com/ to read about it.  

Basically, it will be UABRS, Popmart, and Zoo TV... with the best of 80-90 following later.

Sounds good to me :)

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 06:02:59 PM »
Well, if you have seen the COBL video on U2.com you may have seen a glimpse of what the offiical dvd for the Vertigo tour will look like.

I thought it was much better than the version released for tv. I wonder if they are fishing for some feedback?

The opening shot of the Edge working his magic with the setlist in full view was great. The camera shots are always too quick for my taste. I always want more closeups of Larry at work. But I liked Bono repeating "luckily" at the end.