Author Topic: 1982 Hammersmith Palais BBC???  (Read 8690 times)

slaneman

1982 Hammersmith Palais BBC???
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:01:01 AM »
Anyone listen to XM radio?
  By pure luck I just activated mine last week and tuned in to the channel 44 called "Fred" that plays what they call "deep (old) classic alternative".  I had it hooked into my stereo and was in another room deep into the owner's manual cause i heard you could record 5 hrs of programming to play back when you were out of antenna range.
 I hear the announcer say something like "if you are a U2 fan then get set to record etc an old live BBC recording"  so I'm beside myself looking for the remote that has a record button to push. By the time I start recording I hear Bono scream "I threw a brick..I threw a brick through a window"
The XM display reads out U2 BBC. I got about 11 songs from that show.
  From Bono's remarks during the set - he mentions Hammersmith- and the setlists  at U2 tours I think it was the 12-6-82 concert at Hammersmith Palais.

Is this a well known recording to you guys? Can you shed more light on this? Recording quality is excellent. Whatever its rarity it's inspired me to re-listen to Boy and October.  

Sorry to ramble but give me a "new idiot" break.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:43:36 AM »
I'd assume it would be a recording already out there is the BBC recorded it, but I don't know if there are any versions of it that would be cleaner than digital radio.  I know BBC Radio 6 has been putting up some good old live shows at 160kbps, and even compressed they sound better than some of the old tape from fm radio boots floating around.

I don't have a massive amount of October boots and FLOM doesn't seem to be up so I can't be much more specific.

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 11:24:35 AM »
12/6/82 Hammersmith Palais is a classic BBC recording, yes.

There are a few different BBC radio promo CDs featuring tracks from this show, none of which contain the full concert, as far as I know.  Most, if not all of the BBC CDs contain only five tracks from the show, and I think that between them all, they only cover 8 or 9 of the songs in total.

That said, there are a couple of BBC-produced vinyls that contain the full show, and the best bootleg in circulation is taken from a 1st-gen recording of the radio broadcast, but a digital radio copy would likely be better than any of those!

The most well-known bootleg goes by the title "An Electric Company on Stage", by the way.  Great show, great sound.

There *are*, however, some Westwood One Radio promo CDs that do contain the whole show (In Concert #99-47; In the Zone #00-07; Superstar Concert Series #02-09; Absolutely Live In the Zone #02-22).  Not sure if any copies of these have been put into circulation.  

Bottom line, I don't think anyone would complain if a copy was made of the complete digital radio broadcast, provided one clearly indicated the lineage/method of the recording.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:30:25 PM »
Thanks again for the replies. You guys are awesome. Maybe someday I can get the first 2 songs, but I think you may be right that what i lucked into will prove to be the best sounding version.

I did querry XM as to what their source was but I got a form reply. That's a dead end.

Well I'm not a collector and have no bootlegs-
But you're blowing my mind with these details. FLOM was new to me, so i checked that out , but as you said, it's under construction. Instead you inspired me to buy Chatterton's Enyclopedia today. Yes, despite all the free info online. I should live long enough.

Actually you're scaring me with this stuff.

I'm glad to hear this is considerd a classic. This vindicates my first impressions. The audience was into it for sure.  

Thanks

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:56:54 PM »
You're very welcome.

FLOM is a nice resource (and has moved to www.u2news.de/flom, btw), but I'm not sure that any more work will ever go into it.  When you say it's "under construction", I don't think anything's been touched since late 2001.  Just a heads-up.  =)

FYI, for my info, I used:

The "Radio Promos" section at u2-discography.com (no direct link - go to the main site and check out the section headers)
The "Columns" part of at atu2.com's Collector's section
(specifically, the two "radio show" columns at http://atu2.com/collectors/columns/)

I do love the Hammersmith show, but then again, I love most of the earlier stuff.

Also, I just checked over at easytree.org, and it was stated by another poster in one of the torrent threads that BBC Digital Radio 6 re-aired this particular show recently, and that someone else did record and circulate the digital broadcast.  So you're off the hook; no need to worry about re-recording unless you want your own taped copy.

(The link to the easytree thread I'm referring to is here, but you have to be registered to view, I believe: http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=20298)

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 01:33:04 AM »
Thanks for the resources.
Been all over atU2 for 2 mo.s but never was looking for specific info on old stuff. Doooh! (smacks head)

Carl -  "don't leave me here all alone" as the last post in the introduction section. I put a big motzah ball out there.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:43:54 AM »
unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any seeders for that file right now on easytree.  Great place to get stuff btw.

slaneman:  don't worry about the introductions.  It always takes awhile, but someone will say something eventually.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 06:09:03 PM »
about easytree - if it's a new torrent I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of seeds, they'll come back soon (perhaps the original seeder had a blue screen of death etc).  You do have to be registered to view files, due to resources they will close membership soon (or have they?).

about the intros - I usually don't reply to everything here, I've been having a pretty busy past few weeks.  I find it somewhat amusing that I'm kind of the staff presence here as Aaron moderates on a few mailing lists and I mainly lurk on them.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 11:30:10 AM »
I have been able to get a good amount of stuff off easytree... about 4 DVDs, and about 10 or so audio boots.  Now that you mention it, I do kind of remember that they might not be taking new members anymore.  They had a problem a few weeks ago where they lost new members (after Nov of last year), so I had to not only sign up again, but had to refind all the .torrent files I had previously downloaded (something about my key needing to be updated to new membership).  The key to torrents is to be patient and let them sit for awhile.  While waiting, open up a popular file you have finished and build up your stats.  I could be wrong, but it seems that once my ratio reached over 2:1 (upload:download), things got a bit faster.  Now I can get 2-3 shows in a day or so.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 02:06:11 AM »
I'm following you.
I've tried a couple times and easytree wasn't taking new members. I'll check back there and get on to it.

Real world impinging. I'm getting all new windows and frames in my townhouse starting 8 am which means after 12 hr day i get 5 hrs sleep and repeat 12 hr day and hopefully nobody breaks anything that has a power cord attached to it.
Blankets literally on the elctronics. So for a couple days it's me and xm and headphones.