Author Topic: u2000 ATYCLB  (Read 5187 times)

jimbo913

u2000 ATYCLB
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:52:39 PM »
Okay, so the place where I usually buy my U2 vinyl has had the u2000 box set w/ cd, lighter, hat, and picks for a long time.  Every time I am in there, they show it to me.  

I googled it and found out that it might not be an official release.  It was only priced at $20, but I still want to know more about it.  If it is unofficial than why can you find it on amazon, and various other reputable online sellers?

Edit:  I did buy the U2 show book, and while it isn't in perfect condition, it is in good shape.  Included in the inside was an official letter from the publisher talking about the author and labeled the book as an advanced release.  Is this common, and all the books came with it, or is it something special.  It was really what solidified my decision to purchase it.

[Edited on 1/7/2005 by jimbo913]

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:22:08 PM »
U2000 is absolutely unofficial.  It does have some nice packaging, but it's definitely produced by a third party.

You can find it on Amazon for the same reason that you can find bootlegs on Amazon (search for Zoocoustic, for example).

It's not Amazon who is actually selling them.  Amazon is simply listing the item because some customers are trying to sell their used/like-new merchandise, and Amazon doesn't know any better.  I suppose if enough pressure was put on them, Amazon would remove the listings.

I can't speak towards the "other reputable online sellers"...  but they're likely just as oblivious or unconcerned as Amazon.

As for the advanced promo copy of U2 Show: cool find.  As far as I'm aware, the regular release did not come with these letters.  I can double-check my copy at home and post my findings otherwise if there are any.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 03:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the info on both counts.  I guess I will not buy the box set then.  I was always a bit dubious of it, as it looked cool on the outside, but looked a little underwhelming on the inside.  I mean, a beanie hat?  

I am glad I bought the book.  I wanted mint condition and almost passed on it, but when the letter fell out, I couldn't just pass it up.  I mean, I guess it could be a copy or something, but it is on heavy weight paper, and includes quite a bit of info.  Looked official to me :)