Author Topic: ABOY video on espn  (Read 15036 times)

jimbo913

ABOY video on espn
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
I am looking for a place to download the new video for ABOY that is on espn.  I can stream it just fine, but would like to have it saved.  I found the link:

http://mfile.akamai.com/10474/wmv/espn.download.akamai.com/10474/U2_allbecauseofyou.wm9_300k.no_logo.wmv

but it won't download for some reason in GetRight... but will work in Internet Explorer just fine.

If this is an innappropriate post, I apologize... feel free to delete this post and slap me around.  Sometimes it is tough to figure out what is acceptable and not.  Seeing as the video is free to watch, I thought that this was okay.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »
I'd consider this to be fair play... if it's streaming online and not commercially released I don't really see any problem with it downloading it.  

There are some programs will capture streams for you... try googling some up as I'm not familiar with them.

Perhaps u2.com members will be able to download a copy soon or something.

[Edited on 2005-1-5 by Carl]

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks Carl... I just don't want to get anyone in trouble... especially you fine folks here at wanderer (still the best fansite I have ever seen).

I do have a capture program at home, but never had any luck with it.  I might try it again when I get home. But as usual, once I do it, a better quality version always pops up.  

If anyone finds it, could you post a link here?  If it does turn out to be posted on the u2.com site, then I will edit out this post, or feel free to lock it.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:12:55 PM »
I found a link on u2 star.  It says not to hot link, but I am not sure what that means.  If it means not to do what I am about to do, feel free to delete.

edit: it is called hotlinking when you link directly to someone else's file... it's  considered bad manners if you do it on your own site and pretend it is your own bandwidth being used. We've had a few sites set up little discographies linking to images on our server before we set up safeguards server side to prevent stuff like that.

To present the information in a manner that won't step on any toes, go to the link below and find " All Because of you (full ESPN video) " to get the file.

http://www.u2star.com/news/

fyi - google result #2 for "hotlink"
http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

[Edited on 2005-1-6 by Carl]

Moved comment to my last post to ensure it would be noticed.

[Edited on 1/6/2005 by jimbo913]

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 12:44:41 AM »
To answer your original question, I was able to save the ESPN stream using a shareware program called "Net Transport."

The quality is not great, so I'm hoping they post the video in iTunes soon.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
ABOY video on espn
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 03:24:05 AM »
Once they start airing it on TV someone will post an XVID rip and we'll all be happy.  Until then it's just streams or u2.om streams or whatever.  I imagine it'll show up as a DVD B-Side sometime... too much effort was put into this video to just let it slide away in my opinion.

What resolution are videos sold on iTunes usually?  Do they even sell them normally (I'm not on the service much)?  I can't imagine them being all that high res given they sell pretty small/compressed audio.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 07:12:10 AM »
iTunes doesn't sell videos, they just stream them in Quicktime, but they are saved in a cache that is pretty easy to find.  In other words, they're free.  They definitely don't offer every video for every band, but they have a pretty tight relationship with U2.

The quality is generally very good. Electrical Storm is offered as 480x360 Sorensen 3 video, which is the Quicktime codec used for most downloadable movie trailers.  The Vertigo "Desert" video is 480x272 MPEG-4.

I've even imported some of the videos into iDVD and burned a DVD, and they look pretty decent.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 11:41:49 AM »
Very interesting.  I'll check out the Vertigo video.

I suppose I should have just connected and checked it out instead of posting, but at least your response to mine contributes to the general understanding of the board.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »
Okay, so I went to itunes and found the videos, but nothing is loading.  It sat there for about 30 minutes and nothing.  Are the vids loading for anyone else?

Comment on my previous post:

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I should have looked it up myself, but in my rush to get the info out, I failed to do my homework.  Lesson learned.

[Edited on 1/6/2005 by jimbo913]

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 09:17:27 AM »
Apple has updated the (American) iTunes Music Store with a high-quality version of the ABOY video.

There are ways of saving the video.  I can give you instruction for Mac, but there's a way to do it in Windows as well.

For some unexplained reason, they have edited out the guy holding the "Rock N Roll Stops the Traffic" sign, which was one of my favorite parts.  Oh well.

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 05:47:47 PM »
ITMS-UK has only the two versions of the iPod ad, as far as I can see...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 10:31:38 PM »
You can watch videos on the US ITMS from anywhere.  You only have to have a US address to buy tracks from the store.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 01:22:38 AM »
I downloaded the ABOY video free from some site a couple weeks ago. Looks decent in WMV at 291K. I really don't remember where since I'm usually doing this way too late at night. This has been all over tv of course. I rolled over at 6 am a couple days ago and there it was on vh1,  no. 12 on their video countdown.

My version does have the "Rock n Roll Stops the traffic" sign at 1:55.

One of these days I may become proficient enough with computer stuff to actually contribute something to this site.

The screaming girls overpower the band.

(The youngest best looking ones will all get GA near the stage for the tour) .

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 02:06:47 AM »
Originally posted by slaneman
(The youngest best looking ones will all get GA near the stage for the tour) .

Hahaha.

Yess... all the pre-sale tickets that leaked to brokers happened because they were impersonating good looking girls.  There is finally some reason to all the madness!

On a somewhat more serious but tangentially related note, did anyone else do a double take when seeing the "sexy is good" women's t-shirt at the u2.com store?  It doesn't really seem to fit in with the sentiments of the album really - love over romance etc.

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 04:49:06 PM »
I hadn't seen the "sexy is good" t-shirt - at first I agreed that it does not seem to go well with the grown-up sentiments of HTDAAB. But on second thoughts: "sexy is good" is not in contradiction to the statement that love is to be preferred over romance. Is it too glib to say that the trouble with romance is that "sexy is good" is made out to be the only truth there is?

Thanks, Brad, for pointing out that ITMS-US videos can be watched from anywhere!