Author Topic: 2021 Release(s)?  (Read 8562 times)

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: 2021 Release(s)?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 05:54:05 AM »
The site just put it up on Twitter that Bono's Eden track will be released to digital retailers / streamers tomorrow. So, yay!!
I bought it from the iTunes Store . . . . then removed the first 20 seconds from the track because that's essentially when the song starts.  I hate it when a track requires this kind of editing.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: 2021 Release(s)?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 07:05:05 AM »
I ended up purchasing [from the iTunes Store] 14 of the 40 tracks of the Citizen Penn Soundtrack, including the track that features Bono . . . . . Eden (To Find Love).  I throw them into a playlist with a bunch of other music . . . . . and I enjoy them on my hikes in the Yellowstone wilderness.

On a separate note . . . . . concerning the 3 live versions of Gloria on the November 2021 Record Store Day/Black Friday 12-Inch Vinyl Record of Gloria [celebrating the 40th anniversary of its release] . . . . . it got me curious to see if there were any obvious differences in the way Gloria was played in 2005 and in 2015.  If there was something appealing to me, then I want to add that live version of Gloria to my iTunes library.

Since one of the live Gloria tracks is from the Boston May 26, 2005 concert [of the Vertigo Tour] . . . . . I decided I would watch the performance of Gloria on my Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago DVD set.  I was shocked to see that Gloria is not on the DVD.

Since one of the other live Gloria tracks is from the London October 29, 2015 concert [of the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour] . . . . . I decided I would watch the performance of Gloria on my iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live In Paris DVD set.  Again . . . . . I was shocked to see that Gloria is not on the DVD.

Based on researching my U2 DVD sets, I discovered . . . . . live performances of Gloria are only featured on 2 of the U2 DVD releases:
-  Live At Red Rocks: Under A Blood Red Sky
-  eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Live In Berlin

For me, the Red Rocks version of Gloria appears to be performed the same way as the one live audio file of Gloria that I have in my iTunes library [which is from London, December 6, 1982].  My audio file was imported from CD#2 of the October re-release and I love it.

For the Berlin version . . . . . . it appears to be performed a little slower, which I love.  But then Bono does a few things that annoy me.  During the second set of in te domine Gloria exultate lyics . . . . . . he stops singing and lets the crowd sing.  What the fuck!  I realize it's only for a few seconds, but his voice cuts out . . . . . and it just sounds incomplete.

And then later, while Edge and Adam are playing guitar . . . . . . Bono chimes in with the local Dublin neighborhood info about Edge, Adam and Larry.  Yeah, it takes only a few seconds but . . . . . . it distracts from my enjoyment of hearing Edge and Adam playing their guitars.  So I'm not going to extract Gloria from the Berlin DVD.

I don't expect to buy the November 2021 Record Store Day/Black Friday Gloria release because I don't collect vinyl records.  Even if a record store in Idaho Falls, Idaho [90 minutes away from where I live] gets a copy, which I doubt, I wouldn't have a way to extract the audio from the vinyl record.  I guess I can try to find a good audio file of Gloria [from 2005 or 2015] on the u2start website and download it.  But this will take some time.

OK, 24 hours later . . . . . . after some time-consuming research . . . . . I finally downloaded [from u2start.com] a great live version of Gloria from the Saitama, Japan Dec 5 2019 concert.  The recording sounds great.  I love that this performance of Gloria is a little slower than the live versions from the 1980s.  And Bono keeps his comments [during the song] to a minimum, which allows me to really enjoy the guitar playing.  I have now added it to my iTunes library and I'm so happy.

Good luck to anyone searching for the November 2021 Record Store Day/Black Friday 12-Inch Vinyl Record of Gloria.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:39:16 AM by dagobah »