Author Topic: Construction Ahead. Use Caution.  (Read 5438 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Construction Ahead. Use Caution.
« on: May 14, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »
Just a heads up...we've started reconstruction on some parts of the discography.  The first casualty was the singles page.  You can see the new version here:

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/singles/

We're working to incorporate a few more graphics around the site. Older versions will still be around, but will be gathered later in a text only section. 

As part of the clean up we're once again looking at the digital only section and questioning exactly what purpose it serves. Do we really need a separate entry for "Wide Awake in Europe" as a 12-inch record and as a digital stream from U2.Com? Well probably not. It just adds some confusion as people try to find information about releases. We combined the two entries and did a bit of clean up on them here:

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_wide_awake_in_europe_single

You can find them under the new singles page. Yes, it's gone from the digital only section at this time.

We will look to expand the digital section a bit but with a clearer purpose of what we are collecting there. The team are tossing around definitions of what will belong there, and once we come to a consensus we'll share those thoughts, but feel free if you want to chime in and suggest we take one path or another.

While you are on the Wide Awake in Europe page, if you look down to the bottom you'll see some new scans as well. I invested in a better scanner which allows me to do large flatbed scans - including some decent scans of 12-inch vinyl without a lot of editing after. I've gone through and finished scanning most of my 7-inch singles over the past few months, and I've started working on 12-inches. You'll see them fill in slowly, and I'm starting with the early ones and going in order, but this one from 2010 was needed to finish off the new singles section. 

Also working in the background on several new sections which aren't yet ready to be shared, but we're finally getting things into the shape we were hoping to get them to when we moved into the new home in 2015.  Thanks for sticking around. The journey isn't over. Just getting started.  :)

God, Part II

Re: Construction Ahead. Use Caution.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
It has finally occurred to me what feature I would desperately like to see enabled at U2Songs.com! A way to search by format! I know each album and song listing advises which formats they’ve been released in, but rather than be limited by going from album/song to format, I’d like the reverse search to be possible, too. I know some people won’t be able to fathom this, but I have no tolerance for vinyl and cassette formats, and can only begrudgingly accept digital downloads if they’re high resolution. CD is my format of choice and I feel that I am starting to get a little lost on some of these one-off releases (like Five Seconds of Summer’s “Best Years”) in terms of what’s available in formats I prefer. Do you think a feature like that could be made viable?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »
It has finally occurred to me what feature I would desperately like to see enabled at U2Songs.com! A way to search by format! I know each album and song listing advises which formats they’ve been released in, but rather than be limited by going from album/song to format, I’d like the reverse search to be possible, too. I know some people won’t be able to fathom this, but I have no tolerance for vinyl and cassette formats, and can only begrudgingly accept digital downloads if they’re high resolution. CD is my format of choice and I feel that I am starting to get a little lost on some of these one-off releases (like Five Seconds of Summer’s “Best Years”) in terms of what’s available in formats I prefer. Do you think a feature like that could be made viable?

Yes. It's about 2/3 finished :)

You will be able to view lists by best quality available...

Streaming Only
Compressed Digital Files
Non-Compressed Analog Sources (Vinyl / Cassette)
CD Quality Audio (Digital or Physical)
High Resolution Digital Audio
Analog Video Source
Digital Video Source.

It'll be tied in at the lyrics pages.  So you'll be able to find a list of what is available as best format.

Also going to give you the ability to sort tracks by solo U2 vs the full band or Passengers. And a couple of other options as well...

God, Part II

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
Boom-cha!

MartinTexas

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »

Streaming Only
Compressed Digital Files
Analog Video Source
Digital Video Source.

It'll be tied in at the lyrics pages.  So you'll be able to find a list of what is available as best format.

Also going to give you the ability to sort tracks by solo U2 vs the full band or Passengers. And a couple of other options as well...
That's nice feature, but what would be really cool it's a lyric search - as you have the most complete and corrected U2 lyrics. I mean search by worlds or phrases in whole lyrics section.

Anyway one new thing on the site is really confusing - dividing the A-Z Song section into 3 separate catalogs: Studio, Live & Solo. arlier way was easier to find all appearences of one song across all releases.

Now when I look at "The Sains Are Coming - Live Rehearsal" - I see it on Studio catalog insead of Live. It's strange.

Other is "Tomorrow" when someone is looking for all their U2 releasen could not see very quickly the Common Ground Version as it is in othe section.

The solution could be also 4th section gathering all songs - easy way especially for collectors to see different song versions.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »

Streaming Only
Compressed Digital Files
Analog Video Source
Digital Video Source.

That's nice feature, but what would be really cool it's a lyric search - as you have the most complete and corrected U2 lyrics. I mean search by worlds or phrases in whole lyrics section.

Anyway one new thing on the site is really confusing - dividing the A-Z Song section into 3 separate catalogs: Studio, Live & Solo. arlier way was easier to find all appearences of one song across all releases.

Now when I look at "The Sains Are Coming - Live Rehearsal" - I see it on Studio catalog insead of Live. It's strange.

Other is "Tomorrow" when someone is looking for all their U2 releasen could not see very quickly the Common Ground Version as it is in othe section.

The solution could be also 4th section gathering all songs - easy way especially for collectors to see different song versions.

The 4th section is still there.  You just have to click through to get to it.  If you click on any of the pages (live, studio etc.) you get an option on the right side to view all songs. The problem is there is so much information being pulled that these pages take forever to load.  Splitting them up solves that problem if someone is just looking for just one subset. 

MartinTexas

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
The 4th section is still there.  You just have to click through to get to it.  If you click on any of the pages (live, studio etc.) you get an option on the right side to view all songs. The problem is there is so much information being pulled that these pages take forever to load.  Splitting them up solves that problem if someone is just looking for just one subset.

OK. Thanks for info, not easy to find this but good it's still there. But of course it's not something others can find so separate section (evan at the bottom of the page): https://www.u2songs.com/songs/ would be great and very usefull.  ;)