Author Topic: U2 on fire-draw your own analogies  (Read 9278 times)

slaneman

U2 on fire-draw your own analogies
« on: January 28, 2005, 01:51:18 AM »
Feeling a bit depressed lately? Put the load right on me.
Here's what happened to me today at my store.
I couldn't help drawing a parallel to a similar occurence at our favorite official website.

Took a couple customers back to the theatre room for a demo. Asked if they liked U2. One of them said he had been to a couple shows so I proceeded to do my usual DVD demo. My coworkers call it "U2 top volume, please leave the area immediately".

I start up the Boston DVD which is black and white and very low decibel audio but I've got the amp cranked it up so when the real song starts they will get blown away just like the fans inside the heart. Normally this gets a reaction when all 5 speakers and the sub kicks in and the video goes to color.

This time the amp shuts down. In my zeal I'd cranked it to far. The display says "protection". Now that's an embarrasing letdown after all my "wait till you see this blah blah."

The customers were psyched. Laid back in the reclining theatre seats. And then a click and Nothing. I managed to mumble and try to place the blame elsewhere like geez somebody messed with the wiring,  but the moment was gone. I was crestfallen. So many demos, so many gaga U2 fans in past plays. Why this.

Anyway, when everybody's gone we try to fix the problem. These amps often come back after a couple minutes and work fine.

We turned it back on. It crackled and hummed. Then it popped. Then it burst into flames.  A very bright white flame(s) shooting out the top of the heat grates.
True story.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 10:18:27 AM »
Lol.. That is great.  What kind of amp was it?  I surely won't be buying one of those.  Maybe principle management, or ticketmaster came and sabatoged the thing.  Wouldn't want anyone getting any U2 live experience without a hassle.

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 12:31:25 PM »
Awesome story.  I guess that particular amp didn't go to 11.

/obligatory Spinal Tap reference

So where do you work?  I'll come visit, we'll crank up some U2 DVDs on the off-hours.  =P

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 03:16:45 PM »
Hey u2rob - you're still not liking the new album? I grant you that it's not a brand new departure but U2 are on fire - no doubt about that (for me).

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 03:55:21 PM »
Yeah, well...  I can honestly say that I haven't listened to the new album in about three weeks.

There are only about 4 or 5 tracks on it that I really do like.  But they're nowhere near the genius of previous U2 releases, in my mind.

There's not a single song on HTDAAB that grabs my attention at the moment.  I'm all Vertigo-ed out, and although I like that song, I have to say that I much prefer the former incarnation of it, "Native Son".

Same with preferring "Xanax and Wine" over "Fast Cars".  I listen to the Rare and Unreleased tracks from iTunes frequently, actually.  *Those* were something to be excited about, in my view.  "Levitate" is phenomenal, in my book

SYCMIOYO is fantastic, and OOTS is interesting, and COBL will likely be a great live track...  but I just don't understand the glowing reviews.  To each their own; the world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.

So, to answer your question in my long, typical, drawn-out way...  no, I still don't like the new album.  =)

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 09:25:55 PM »
Jimbo- Marantz SR8400. But someone had bare speaker wires touching. A rookie mistake. However they're not supposed to do arc welding in any case. Something about "UL Approved".  Quack

Hey Rob, You can come anytime. We'll put a bigger amp back there. Turn it up to 12 for all I care. We don't have to listen to Bomb. Actually,  I can plug in my now coveted Hammersmith Palais which is cd quality. I'm so stuck in that concert now. I've been stumbling around on the metro almost missing my stops I get lost in this time capsule.
I'm not that far away.
Go skins!