Author Topic: U2 LIVE: SLANE CASTLE (PROMO)  (Read 10927 times)

jimbo913

U2 LIVE: SLANE CASTLE (PROMO)
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:02:28 PM »
Now this one really burns me up.  I would love to see a full release of this wonderful show.  I have two copies of the DVD (I bought the jewel case version first and then decided to buy the cardboard one too).  I extracted the audio and have been listening to that, but an official release would be great.  

Gotta find this one.  I saw a couple on ebay, for quite a hefty price.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 01:55:30 PM »
This is a late reply but I just signed up here. How did you "extract" the audio from the DVD? Do you have a dvd on your computer or did you go analog audio out from a dvd player into a cd audio recorder?

robinpb

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:23:25 PM »
Originally posted by slaneman
This is a late reply but I just signed up here. How did you "extract" the audio from the DVD? Do you have a dvd on your computer or did you go analog audio out from a dvd player into a cd audio recorder?

to extract audio from a dvd (on a pc), try using smartripper ("demux to extra file"). you'll be pleasantly surprised.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:18:11 PM »
Thanks. I'm getting a new PC with DVD burner. My current  just has a cd burner.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 03:51:17 AM »
You don't need a DVD Burner for this, just a DVD-Rom drive (reader).

I used DVD Decrypter (freeware) to extract Audio from DVD's I own (pretty much just the U2 ones to help with parsing lyrics, as repeating chunks of a DVD is really laggy.  Using that you just select the VOBs and choose extract audio or something to that.  It's been a while.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 09:49:12 AM »
I used a program which I am forgettting the name of at this time.  You don't need a DVD burner for this either, just a DVD ROM.  It is a piece of cake.  Basically, you just put in the disc, select the tracks you want and the directory to put them in.  You hit the button and within 20 minutes, you have the disc in wave files.  

I used to do it another way, but had to spend hours cutting up the wav file into seperate songs.  But with this, I just hit the button once and it automatically splits the tracks exactly as they are on the DVD.  I will check when I get home as to what it is called.  

The thing that sets this program apart from the others is that it is made specifically for this purpose, nothing more, nothing less.  As such, it does it's job great.  I have basically extracted audio off every music DVD I have including the HTDAAB bonus DVD, Live Aid, Boston, and a few bootleg videos with good sound.  

I have never used DVD Decrypter, even though I have the program, so I can't speak too much to it.  But if Carl says it works, then you might want to try that.  The program I am talking about isn't freeware :(

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »
DVD Audio Ripper is the program that I used.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:34:01 PM »
DVD decrypter just makes large wavs from the vob files... no tracks (at least back when I used it) though cdwav is good for splicing large tracks up into either smaller files or creating a .bin file for burning.

If you can find a shareware version of DVD Audio Ripper that'd probably just be the easiest course of action.  There's probably other apps out there but I'm not that familiar with them.  Google some more I suppose. :)

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 01:21:42 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to print this page so I'll have it to refer to when I get my new PC. I'm in the stoneage with this kinda stuff. Which goes back to your first post. I'd gratefully pay the money to buy the official cds of their concerts.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »
Yes, I think we all would :)  Especially this show.  I am still mystified why they bothered cutting out Mysterious Ways, just to include it as a "bonus."  But it is still a great DVD.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 12:14:55 AM »
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents here in case any Mac users are following this thread.

There is a freeware application called OSEx that will rip the audio from a DVD and split it into individual tracks.

However, you'll need a seperate application like MPEG Streamclip to convert to .aiff or .wav.

Now we REALLY need a DVD of ZOO TV Sydney to rip the audio from

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: U2 LIVE: SLANE CASTLE (PROMO)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
I didn't feel comfortable starting a new topic because I'm a novice when it comes to forums (and because I couldn't figure out how to do it).  Anyways, I have two questions related to "live" U2 music:
Question 1
I am interested in getting the audio from some of my U2 DVDs and putting it into my iTunes library; since this topic is from January 2005 and it's currently January 2010, can someone tell me updated info for this process?  I have a Dell Dimension B110 from 2006; it's just a basic desktop computer, but I acquired and installed an extra 1 GB of RAM within the last year; the U2 DVDs I want to get audio from include Live At Red Rocks/Under A Blood Red Sky, Rattle & Hum, Popmart/Live From Mexico City, Vertigo/Live From Chicago, U218; once I get the audio from the DVD to my computer, I think I know how to get it into my iTunes library

Question 2:
I have NEVER acquired a bootleg CD of any U2 concerts; the only live U2 music I have is from three sources:
- from official U2 CDs
- from official CDs for renewing my U2.com subscription
- from the Complete U2 digital box set from iTunes
My goal is to BUY "live" U2 songs that I don't have "live" versions of; are there any legal sources on the Internet where I can BUY these?  If not, what are my options?  the key words are "buy" and "legal" so please understand my intention is to compensate U2 according to laws related to music-buying; I'm not a collector like some of you ......... it's just that there are several U2 songs that I don't have live versions of

Any assistance would be appreciated

miryclay

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
There is noting wrong with ripping audio from a DvD for home use. The quality will be on par with any offcial release. I would just do it that way....

Scarlet

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »
sent you a PM regarding unofficial live (R.O.I.O) , as for DVD rips try using DVD decryptor

morgan1098

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
The live audio from the U218 DVD is available for purchase from iTunes.