Author Topic: The Hands That Built America  (Read 4276 times)

rivergoat

• Parser
The Hands That Built America
« on: December 16, 2004, 10:14:04 PM »
Boy, was I ever wrong! Anyhow, I did a quickie mixpaste/invert of the right channel onto the left of this song, and the whispers come out clear as a bell (for the most part). Unfortunately, this song is not listed in the lyrics section on U2.com (no, I'm NOT going to say it!), and I can't remember what the 'official' lyrics are. But here's my quick transcription:

First whisper  This one is crystal clear!
Christian Jew Muslim Hindu
Polish Irish German Italian

Second whisper
Irish Black Chinese Jew
? Islamic Muslim Hindu
Not sure about the ? part

These are spoken words - sounds like Leonardo DiCaprio's voice, but I'm not very sure (first part sounds like it could possibly be The Edge, but the second part doesn't sound like anyone in the band - no accent for one thing!) I'll send the file bits I made to you shortly.

Edited this post after a second (more like twenty-second) listen.

goat

[Edited on 2004-12-17 by rivergoat]

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:04:45 PM »
This is actually really close to what the official lyrics had listed, there was a promo sheet going around for when it was up for the oscar award.  Funny thing is those lyrics were only on the best of studio version, not the soundtrack one (which had backing vocals similar to the demo dvd version). Go figure.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/pr140.html

I'll see if we can dig that up again. Though I think I put up the official transcription on the best of version (for the soundtrack version, hehe):

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/lyrics.php?id=146

(Russian, Sioux, Dutch, Hindu)
(Polish, Irish, German, Italian)

(The Irish, the Blacks, the Chinese, the Jews)
(Korean, Hispanic, Muslim, Indian)

update: Third line seems to only have "the's" before the second and third lines.  Your first seems a lot more accurate except for the Russian/Christian...

First two words in the line 4 are correct in mine, Hindu/Indian is debatable, I'm leaning Hindu actually but in the context of the song (american) Indians make more sense as opposed to (asian, mainly hindu) Indians.

[Edited on 2005-3-17 by Carl]