Author Topic: New CD Single Tracklisting  (Read 7814 times)

barmar

New CD Single Tracklisting
« on: December 16, 2004, 02:49:35 PM »
U2’s next single in Europe will be ’SOMETIMES YOU CAN’T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN’

The song, the second to be lifted from ’How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’, will be released on February 7.

The track will be feature a Jacknife Lee remix of ‘Ave Maria’ sung by Bono with Pavarotti, the ‘Vertigo Redanka Remix’ (also known as the 'Close To The Edge Mix'), and the Jacknife Lee remix of ’Fast Cars’.

The DVD features a live performance of ’Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own’ from the band's Dublin studio and a Trent Reznor ‘Vertigo’.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 04:01:02 AM »
Um yeah. Most of that is from the NME article a while back.  We've been waiting on some confirmation etc before putting an entry up.  This is supposedly the tracklisting, though it is weird to have a remix as the b-side of the 2 track single, I would have thought it to be Ave Maria... take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

CD1

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - radio edit
2. Vertigo - Redanka Power Mix

CD2

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - radio edit
2. Ave Maria - Jacknife Lee Mix
3. Fast Cars - Jacknife Lee Mix

DVD single

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - live at Hanover Quay, 16 Nov 2004
2. Vertigo - video
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - audio
4. Vertigo - Trent Reznor Remix - audio

edit - I just noticed something, Vertigo Redanka Remix’ (also known as the 'Close To The Edge Mix').  The 'Close To The Edge Mix' sounds nothing like the 'Redanka Remix' that was streamed online a while back.  I'm a bit suspicious about that statement.

[Edited on 2004-12-20 by Carl]

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 12:45:54 PM »
I'm a bit suspicious about that statement.

With good reason; it's entirely incorrect.  The two mixes are not at all the same.

I don't think that either one is that wonderful, either.  They're not bad, but...  yeah.  They're your standard, decent-but-not-spectacular U2 remixes.  But, then, I can't remember the last U2 remix that knocked my socks off (that wasn't a 3rd party remix).  Maybe the Nasty Mix of New York.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »
where would one hear the 'Close To The Edge Mix' ?  I am actually kinda getting into these remixes.  I loved the Elevation Escalation Mix.  I am just about 10 years or so too late on most of them.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 11:00:53 PM »
I for one hope they actually put out some decent original b-sides instead of remixes of every track on the album.

Where is "Mercy?"

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 03:24:23 AM »
Heh yeah.  I'm not exactly sure how far up this has been confirmed it (this type of thing is more Aaron's area), but it seems a bit odd.  Ave Maria fits with the opera part of sometimes, but unless they really funk it up I've heard the broadcast, and I've heard the Vertigo remix from vinyl (to answer jimbo's question, I got the mp3 from someone who apparently got it off a vinyl release, not sure of a public site that has it up).  Fast Cars could be very interesting, I'm wondering if it'll be more rawk ala Xanax & Wine.

Where is Mercy indeed??  I'll wait on Aaron to confirm this, from what I know it is "from a list" and could possibly be BS.  They nailed the radio edit, though with a song as long as Sometimes that isn't entirely shocking.

robinpb

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 04:43:51 PM »
the "close to the edge" mix is bootleg vinyl, uptempo, with cheesy effects thrown ontop of the vocals. the redanka (andy holt) mix is the club killer, which has been out on test press CD for a while, making it's way through the hands of influential DJs:
http://people.gactr.uga.edu/robin/vertigo_redanka.jpg

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:10:23 AM »
It sounds like you're involved with the redanka mix or something.

That's quite a spiel there!

robinpb

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 01:50:17 PM »
not invovled, no. i just happen to be a dj who's been playing the redanka mix for some time. and i've also been very frustrated with all the bogus hype around the "close to the edge mix" -- people calling it promo, unreleased, pulled from australia, only 250 copies, etc. nonsense. if you want the "close to the edge mix" then go to the local dj record shop and buy it. it's about ten bucks. they're everywhere. the pressing quality is poor, the remix production is mediocre. and still no one can say who did the remix. he who gets to remix the biggest band in the world, will release his remix with official credits. as andy holt did.