Author Topic: New Year's Day vinyl single  (Read 4866 times)

jimbo913

New Year's Day vinyl single
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:02:59 PM »
Just lost a long post due to not having a title... grrr....

Let me try and recreate this.

Sorry for asking two questions today... but I just got back from a local record store where I purchased the New Year's Day 12" vinyl single (New Year's Day (Long Version) / Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?) / Fire (Live) / I Threw a Brick (Live) / A Day Without Me (Live)).  

I was a little skeptical buying it as it came in a generic sleeve.  It is kinda difficult to describe, but it is a greyish color with a measurement (ruler) type thingie on the right hand side.  There are no labels/company names on the sleeve itself.  The album looks like this:

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/sing010-41.jpg

However, since I am at work and the record is in my car, I can't remember the location of manufacture.

I asked the store owner (who is a very cool and knowledgeable guy btw) if it was the original cover.  He said that he thought so.  He then described exactly what the UK cover looked like and told me he has been a huge U2 single collector since the 80s.  Anyway, I only paid $8 for it, so no huge loss if it isn't the cover, but I was hoping that someone with more Vinyl knowledge might know more about it.  I am new to Vinyl and don't know the ins and outs.  Maybe someone recognizes my description of the sleeve and can tell me if that is just a common replacement cover or something.

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:33:19 AM »
Answering after a month's delay!

I think I have one of those sleeves in my own collection; I can check the next time I pull it out of storage.

I believe that the 12" sleeve with the ruler on it is a generic sleeve from Mercury/Polygram (and therefore not the sleeve that goes with the NYD single, or any particular single, for that matter).

If anyone knows otherwise, I'd be glad to hear about it.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 11:54:18 AM »
LOL.  Thanks for the speedy response ;)

That is what I thought.  Oh well.  No huge loss I guess.  Still would be nice to have the real cover though.  I should have bargained for it but he seemed pretty sure this was the right one.

[Edited on 1/4/2005 by jimbo913]