Author Topic: Known Fakes in Circulation.  (Read 7349 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Known Fakes in Circulation.
« on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
A friend of mine who works for the music industry in identifying and combatting fakes and bootlegs, has confirmed a number of things over the years as bootleg items.  Routinely I get updates which allow us to strike some items off the list here...

Here's a few things identified as FAKE in the most recent email I received.  Most of these should be common sense things.  But felt it doesn't hurt to share a reminder that there are a lot of fakes that go around.  And it was nice to see all the colours of some of those album boots listed. 

U2 Three EP in red, blue, green, pink, clear, white, purple and gold 7" vinyl. These come with a CBS label, a card that says they are ##/100. And a cover that duplicates the original.

U2 Another Day in lilac, turquoise, purple and gold 7-inch. (See above for description)

Picture discs and coloured vinyl issues of Boy (ILPS9646 - Picture Disc), October (ILPS9733 - picture disc, blue, green and clear vinyl), The Unforgettable Fire (U2 5 Picture Disc), The Joshua Tree (U26 - Picture disc, blue, pink, yellow, red and orange vinyl), Achtung Baby (U28 - Picture disc, yellow, red, clear and green); Zooropa (U2 9 - Mauve, white, red, green, orange and clear vinyl); Pop (U210 - picture disc, green vinyl); All That You Can't Leave Behind (U212 - picture disc)

"Japan" CDr promos from the recent album, as well as old singles, showing the single art on the face of the CD. These seem to be originating in Spain.

Vinyl 12" Single - Drowning Man / 4th of July / Tomorrow (Identified as US promo - DMD1222)

Promotional singles on CDR identified as being from The Netherlands or Benelux (Ordinary Love, Invisible, Joey Ramone, Every Breaking Wave, Song for Someone, You're The Best Thing, Get Out of Your Own Way, Summer of Love)

12-Inch and 7-inch vinyl of "You're The Best Thing" (Identified by many as Argentinian)

All Brazilian promos for "You're The Best Thing", "Get Out of Your Own Way", "Summer of Love" etc. There were no Brazilian promotional CDs / CDRs done for the recent album campaign.

Songs of Innocence Deluxe Press Kit - contains official CDs, but holder is fake, as are items in the holder.

"U2 Live at the BBC" or "U2 At the BBC" - the appearance with an orchestra on the BBC in 2017 has not been released.

Anam

Re: Known Fakes in Circulation.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:13:24 AM »
Good work. I think eBay as a source of anything beyond the ordinary is dead in the water. Unfortunately, the rampant sales on there mean the 'food chain' is polluted.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:52:06 AM »
I'm going to add to this list myself...

There's a seller on ebay selling deluxe version of "Boy", "October" and "War" in jewel cases rather than the boxes that we are used to seeing them in.  They are actually Russian fakes.  Not made by Universal, and they look like crap close up.  He's got four more copies to sell, and my copy is being returned to him so I expect it'll show up for sale again as well.

Second recent fake that has been appearing lately is fakes of the "En Vivo" promo: https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_en_vivo_promotional_release

The fakes are rather well done and duplicate the artwork and CD very well.  However, instead of the lettering being shiny and reflective on the CD surface, it is printed in white.  These are being sent out stretch wrapped, so if someone chooses not to open the item they aren't going to know that the CD inside has been faked...sadly that's the biggest clue that these are not real. 

Another one out of Mexico is a promotional CDR for "Landlady" - these are fake. They use the image from the gatefold of the deluxe CD for a cover insert. 

Finally there's a bunch of DVD-R promos showing up these days.  They claim to be region 1, NTSC videos, and contain an FBI warning.  Black text on a white background. But they've also included a snippet of artwork from the single and sometimes a label logo.  I've seen them for a few of the Pop singles, and a few of the HTDAAB singles.  They are fake. 

PatrickM

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:29:26 AM »

Since the 'En Vivo' single has just been brought up, I have always wondered about the authenticity of two Colombian promos from the last decade: 'Versiones Acusticas' and 'Magnificent' (a 3-track promo, with Boots and Magnificent remixes). They both seem phony to me. Versiones Acusticas has two tracks ripped from the DVD on the deluxe version of Atomic Bomb and not available anywhere else. I never heard it, but I would guess it is not high-quality. The font type is also completely off... Does anyone know for a fact that this is an official release - or did it become "official" once it got published on a Record Collector list many years ago?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of these sets on ebay lately. They seem to be based on the Italian magazine CDs from a couple years ago. Even as bootlegs, $67 for the entire U2 catalogue ain't bad.  :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/U2-The-Complete-Edition-1976-2018-Box-22-CD-U-S-Made-shipped-New-Sealed/263827634570?_trkparms=aid%3D777001%26algo%3DDISCO.FEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160801204525%26meid%3De52c7ffdb2814f09a4e1d4e244892944%26pid%3D100651%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D263827634570&_trksid=p2481888.c100651.m4497&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab76e8746-29c9-11e9-9f47-74dbd180c803%7Cparentrq%3Ac11dfffe1680ad7835f7129bffce0eb7%7Ciid%3A1

Yes, those are boots as well.  Chinese I believe. I've heard some complaints that a few people have ordered them only to find the paper sleeves glued to the CDs. It does show a demand for some sort of overall boxed set of their work.  Hopefully they do something one of these days...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »

Since the 'En Vivo' single has just been brought up, I have always wondered about the authenticity of two Colombian promos from the last decade: 'Versiones Acusticas' and 'Magnificent' (a 3-track promo, with Boots and Magnificent remixes). They both seem phony to me. Versiones Acusticas has two tracks ripped from the DVD on the deluxe version of Atomic Bomb and not available anywhere else. I never heard it, but I would guess it is not high-quality. The font type is also completely off... Does anyone know for a fact that this is an official release - or did it become "official" once it got published on a Record Collector list many years ago?

I do have some answers on this one...

En Vivo was the first of these, produced to promote the sale of "All That You Can't Leave Behind" in a certain chain, and the artwork was specifically prepared for this one by U2's design team in Ireland.  The release was given away when you bought the new album, and it was a bonus to get people into stores.  Very similar to what has been done in Mexico a number of times. The official version is the one with the shiny background of the CD showing through on the print, and not the more recent fake that is showing up with white paint for lettering...

The other two are also legitimate releases from Universal, but were produced at a local level. Both were used in the same manner, given away in certain shops when you buy the album.  The "Versionnes Acusticas" is particularly bad as it was an audio rip of the DVD audio which resulted in a horrible sounding audio. The "Magnificent" one was everywhere so I expect it was given away without an album purchase.

The reason I mention the Mexican ones, is they've also done a number of these 'one off' style promos over the years. Universal is 100% behind these, and they are official.  The one that always comes to mind is the Exclusive CD ROM Compilation...https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_exclusive_cd_rom_compilation_promotional_release - 100% legit but pretty low production values.  I know some of the people involved in that compilation and some of the other Mexican ones, and like the later Colombian ones, they are put out by Universal, but are done on the local level with approval but little input from anyone outside of the local offices.

morgan1098

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 06:53:14 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of these sets on ebay lately. They seem to be based on the Italian magazine CDs from a couple years ago. Even as bootlegs, $67 for the entire U2 catalogue ain't bad.  :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/U2-The-Complete-Edition-1976-2018-Box-22-CD-U-S-Made-shipped-New-Sealed/263827634570?_trkparms=aid%3D777001%26algo%3DDISCO.FEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160801204525%26meid%3De52c7ffdb2814f09a4e1d4e244892944%26pid%3D100651%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D263827634570&_trksid=p2481888.c100651.m4497&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab76e8746-29c9-11e9-9f47-74dbd180c803%7Cparentrq%3Ac11dfffe1680ad7835f7129bffce0eb7%7Ciid%3A1

Yes, those are boots as well.  Chinese I believe. I've heard some complaints that a few people have ordered them only to find the paper sleeves glued to the CDs. It does show a demand for some sort of overall boxed set of their work.  Hopefully they do something one of these days...

The crazy thing is just how many of these sets are out there. Search "U2 complete" on ebay and you'll get dozens of listings for this box set from numerous sellers in the US as well as Europe, China, etc. One of the US listings even says "Made in the US" right in the title (which I'm sure isn't true), and the seller has already sold more than 40 sets. The sheer volume of these certainly creates the impression that it's a legitimate release. I wonder why ebay doesn't even attempt to shut this down?

Anam

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 07:49:13 AM »
I think the problem with eBay is that it is very difficult to police unless you have an in-depth knowledge of the releases themselves. Add to that that the fact eBay are taking a hefty cut, they have no real desire to act. I've alerted UM UK to Terry McGinty and a few other main offenders.

The bottom line is, unfortunately, that eBay is no longer a viable place for collectors to buy U2 material. Given that we all know this, that eBay knows this, that UM knows this and that U2 knows this then it is very surprising that nothing gets done. EIL are sheep-shearers, record fairs are hit and miss and some of the old and trusted dealers are at the forefront of the cardsleeve knock-off influx.

Fans should take it in-house. I have mentioned a few times that a well-organised, U2 and related acts -only physical-item trading site is a viable option. Clearly there are fans with money seeking genuine opportunities. I'm always willing to time, resources and what little wit I have to any group willing to help launch it.

PatrickM

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »

En Vivo was the first of these, produced to promote the sale of "All That You Can't Leave Behind" in a certain chain, and the artwork was specifically prepared for this one by U2's design team in Ireland.  The release was given away when you bought the new album, and it was a bonus to get people into stores.  Very similar to what has been done in Mexico a number of times. The official version is the one with the shiny background of the CD showing through on the print, and not the more recent fake that is showing up with white paint for lettering...

The other two are also legitimate releases from Universal, but were produced at a local level. Both were used in the same manner, given away in certain shops when you buy the album.  The "Versionnes Acusticas" is particularly bad as it was an audio rip of the DVD audio which resulted in a horrible sounding audio. The "Magnificent" one was everywhere so I expect it was given away without an album purchase.

The reason I mention the Mexican ones, is they've also done a number of these 'one off' style promos over the years. Universal is 100% behind these, and they are official.  The one that always comes to mind is the Exclusive CD ROM Compilation...https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_exclusive_cd_rom_compilation_promotional_release - 100% legit but pretty low production values.  I know some of the people involved in that compilation and some of the other Mexican ones, and like the later Colombian ones, they are put out by Universal, but are done on the local level with approval but little input from anyone outside of the local offices.

Thanks a lot, Aaron. Really appreciate all the info. Still down in the priorities' list, but at least it's there!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »

Thanks a lot, Aaron. Really appreciate all the info. Still down in the priorities' list, but at least it's there!

It sounds awful.  :)

morgan1098

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 09:30:35 PM »
I think the problem with eBay is that it is very difficult to police unless you have an in-depth knowledge of the releases themselves. Add to that that the fact eBay are taking a hefty cut, they have no real desire to act. I've alerted UM UK to Terry McGinty and a few other main offenders.

The bottom line is, unfortunately, that eBay is no longer a viable place for collectors to buy U2 material. Given that we all know this, that eBay knows this, that UM knows this and that U2 knows this then it is very surprising that nothing gets done. EIL are sheep-shearers, record fairs are hit and miss and some of the old and trusted dealers are at the forefront of the cardsleeve knock-off influx.

Fans should take it in-house. I have mentioned a few times that a well-organised, U2 and related acts -only physical-item trading site is a viable option. Clearly there are fans with money seeking genuine opportunities. I'm always willing to time, resources and what little wit I have to any group willing to help launch it.

I would be so up for this!

Anam

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 04:48:02 AM »
In mind's eye it's like Discogs, where individual sellers list and sell items, but where there is oversight and the ability to deal with abusers. Any ground-floor staff would need to include someone with the tech nous to achieve that, good working knowledge of the catalogue and lots of time. I'd be happy to devote time needed to do any admin and legwork, limited capital and a significant amount of stock to get the ball rolling, but technically I wouldn't know where to start. Plus, it would need a good shove across the community to take on eBay as an alternative.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »

I would be so up for this!

There's a number of those on the go right now.  I can point out a few when I get a chance. There's also another project that hasn't launched yet that will cover some of this...