Author Topic: Aaron's Discography notes.  (Read 5117 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Aaron's Discography notes.
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »
My goal for 2019 is to keep track of the work we are doing in the discography a little better so people will know what has been updated, changed, etc.  What better place than here?  I know some will just be bored.  But for those who have an interest, maybe this will help you out if you want to know what's new...

JANUARY 2019:

January 3: Entry Tina Turner - "Tina Live" Album
January 4: Entry "PolyGram Classics and Jazz Sampler" Promotional Release
January 9: Entry "Rattle and Hum" Remastered Album (2017)
January 9: Entry "No Line on the Horizon" Remastered Album (2019 Master)
January 10: Entry "Defected Presents Def Mix Classics" Album
January 12: New catalog entry for SHM-CD: Songs of Experience
January 12: New lyric entry for "When the Stars Go Blue" promo edit.
January 13: Scans and catalog entries for U218 CD done
January 14: Entry "Generations: Three Decades of Dance" - Paul Oakenfold
January 15: Entry "Modern Mantra" - DJ Spooky
January 17: New catalog entries for digital singles "Wild Horses", "One", "If God Will Send His Angels", "Please"
January 18: New catalog entries for digital singles "Every Breaking Wave", "Vertigo"
January 19: New catalog entries for digital singles "Get On Your Boots", "Discotheque", "Staring at the Sun", "Beautiful Day", "Walk On" and "Elevation"
January 20: New catalog entries for "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own", "Window in the Skies"
January 24: New catalog entries for digital singles "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew"
January 27: New scans and catalog entries for "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"
January 28: Entry for Japan "Thank you for your Support" Pop Promo disc. Scans for Original Soundchat 1
January 29: Entry for the Australia "Zooropa / Stay" Box set, released to promote album while Zoomerang went through Australia.
January 30: Entry for the Australia "Zooropa / Mysterious Ways" Collection released in Virgin Megastores in Australia.

New images added to discography in January 2019 to date: 262
Total discography images: 7679 images to date. (Separate from the news section)

FEBRUARY 2019:

February 1: Rewrote and updated full entry for "Invisible", Added images of The Ground Beneath Her Feet Promo single (thanks Alan)
February 2: Images added for Passengers album. (6) Images added for The Unforgettable Fire (original release) (37)
February 3: Images added for original release of UABRS (48)
February 4: Images added for original release of UABRS. (4). Discography entry also modified. Research on "Remasters 1980 - 1983" digital promo sent to radio (same as CD release)
February 5: Updated entry for Remasters 1980-1983 to include digital promo. Addition of green bordered "Boy" copies (2nd pressing in Australia) images (4)
February 6: Additional images for "Boy" (3)
February 9: Images for "Rattle and Hum" on CD (11)
February 10: Images for "Rattle and Hum" on CD (21)
February 11: Updated news formatting in discography to include article dates and source information when a news article is displayed.
February 12: Updated credits and information in Remaster articles.
February 15: Entry for "Excerpts from A Very Special Christmas" promo cassette including images (5)
February 16: Update to "Solicitation Kit Entry" including image (1) and images for EU deluxe versions of Boy, October, War and UABRS (28), and the USB release of NLOTH for Uruguay (3)
February 17: Box set scans for 1980-1983 (Collection of USA deluxe reissues) and 1977-1983 (Collection of European deluxe reissues) (12)
February 18: USA deluxe versions of Boy, October, War (18) IMCD versions in Netherlands "The Complete U2" set (15) and scans of Tina Turner, A Fanatic Heart and Roy Orbison releases (9)
February 19: Uploaded two promo images for Magnificent single (Digital release)
February 19: Public launch of "Unreleased Mixes" section: https://t.co/cZk0kAvO7v
February 21: Added two images of "Ultraviolet" promo single from Philippines
February 22: Updated entry for NLOTH remaster now that it has been released.
February 26: Updated entry for fan club release, including lyrics for two live songs released.
February 27: New discography entry for "The Europa EP" written.
February 28: Two images added for RSD release: The Europa EP.

New images added to discography in February 2019 to date: 231
Total discography images: 7910 images to date. (Separate from the news section)

MARCH 2019:

March 6: Added 16 images to section not yet launched. (16)
March 9: Added images for Irish A to Z of Rock, Universal Barnes & Noble CD, Wicked!, Simply Acoustic, RMF On Styl, Planeta Rock, Island Mobile Music, Hit Mix, Now Dance, Fall From Grace, and did discography entries for many of these. (10)
March 12: Discography entry for "The Tube Anthology" (1 image)
March 16: Added 8 images of NLOTH vinyl (clear) ( 8 )
March 17: Added 14 images (Ordinary Love and Another Time 10-inches) (17)
March 18: Added 5 images (U22) (5)
March 23: Added 5 images (Wide Awake in America new vinyl) (5)

New images added to discography in March 2019 to date: 62
Total discography images: 7972 images to date. (Separate from the news section)

APRIL 2019:

April 7: Launched new History Section (https://www.u2songs.com/history/)
April 13: Added 7 images (Europa EP) (7)
April 19: Added 10 images (NLOTH and The Best of 1980 - 2000) (10)
April 20: Added 6 images (The Unforgettable Fire and Pop) added Irish cassette of Put Em Under Pressure to discography entries (6)
April 21: Added 6 images (Boy Remaster) (6) and entry for Oakenfold's "Sunset at Stonehenge (1)
April 24/25: Added 25 images (You're the Best Thing Promo Entry, Get Out of Your Own Way Promo Entry, Album Interview Disc (2000) Entry, Magnificent Promo Entry, Elevation Promo Entry, Sweetest Thing Promo Entry) and minor updates to entries. New lyric entry for GOOYOW Edit. (25)
April 26: New info and images for fan club release (2) Added three images to new section (3)
April 27: Added 2 images & entry: Dealer Introduction Promo Cassette (2)
April 28: Added 15 images (Promo Dance CD and TUF Cassette Single) (15)
April 29: Added 11 images (With or Without You and WTSHNN Cassettes) (11)

New images added to discography in April 2019 to date: 88
Total discography images: 8060 images to date. (Separate from the news section)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:34:33 PM by Aaron »

u2expert

Re: Aaron's Discography notes.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
...I know some will just be bored...

It's not boring, it's important to me and many other fans who enjoy these details. So, thank you.
Thank you for spending your free time with us.

Cheers,
u2expert

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 06:41:50 AM »
...I know some will just be bored...

It's not boring, it's important to me and many other fans who enjoy these details. So, thank you.
Thank you for spending your free time with us.

Cheers,
u2expert

Thanks for that.  I'll try to pop in once a month with an update of the full month. 

Most of the updates of the discography entries will show on the front page, but smaller updates like changes to the catalog and the like do not show up.  So even though we added 50 scans to the HTDAAB entry this week, they don't show as an updated entry.

Nikabrik

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
It's great to know about the images. Personally, IMHO, they're the best feature of the site. I'd rather have all the images online than have an entry for some obscure Belgian compilation CD from 2000 with "Elevation" on it.

But I know I'm not the only one using this site. :)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
It's great to know about the images. Personally, IMHO, they're the best feature of the site. I'd rather have all the images online than have an entry for some obscure Belgian compilation CD from 2000 with "Elevation" on it.

But I know I'm not the only one using this site. :)

It’s easier to catch up on them when there isn’t a lot of news and I’m not running around as much. Did another 24 CDs today, will get them uploaded tomorrow. Rewrote the “Invisible” single entry, and uploaded the 7-inch images for “The Ground Beneath Her Feet”...we will likely focus on getting the CDs and 7-inches in my collection done and then start asking for contributions.

The 12-inches will get done eventually.

We’ve also built out a couple of new news sections (one for interviews, one for special stories) and have been playing around with some improvements to the discography. It’s time to give he discography some love :)

As for the compilations, mostly ignoring them unless there’s a unique edit or something different about them. But in the near future I’ll be uploading a master list of nearly 1500 compilations and what U2 song and what version of the song is on there. Once that’s up I’ll have even more reason to ignore compilations for a while yet :)

Anam

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:56:26 AM »
Definitely not boring, Aaron. I'm a fan, as you know. I spend a lot of time trawling through old Irish rock records from the 1980s & 1990s and so much information gets lost. Release dates of #1 albums. The dates of Rory Gallagher's last Cork gigs. Setlists - even by U2 - gone. And even REM. There was a site much like this - svs - that catalogued their work. Gone. Important and appreciated work Aaron, even all those seconds of silence and Belgian comps!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »
As you can see above I'm just updating the initial post.  But it's nice to see the growth, and it gives me a bit of a challenge. Can I upload more scans in February than I did in January?! Haha.  We've been going like this in the background for some time, so if anyone hasn't poked around the discography maybe its time for a second look.  :)  A lot has changed since we first put it together back in 2009 - 2014.