Author Topic: 2019 Subscription: INNOCENCE + EXPERIENCE LIVE, 2015 & 2018  (Read 26348 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: 2019 Subscription: INNOCENCE + EXPERIENCE LIVE, 2015 & 2018
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
Aaron, I agree with you mostly on this, except that instead of going for a one-size-fits-most model and going DVD only, they should be offering a choice between getting either a DVD, a regular Blu-Ray, a 4K Blu-Ray, or a download code.  The production cost would increase slightly, but there would be no grumbling about format whatsoever.  Well, except for those who must have each version and then "have to" subscribe multiple times, but I'd wager that's the 1%.

I don't hold out hope that they'd be able to make that work. They struggle with the gifts in most cases. Getting out one version in a timely fashion seems to be a challenge, look at this years address mess up.  I'm not confident they'd manage something more complicated, although they did it with some success with the Slane T-shirts years back.

The fact that a beautiful 4K film is being shipped on DVD makes me (and others) think it's being released in other formats. That added to the rumour mill that said this was going to be released, with more news in March, makes me think it's a way to fill the gift quickly with something they have mastered, approved and ready, but may hope to maintain some income from whatever they might do with it in the future.

morgan1098

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »
Aaron, I agree with you mostly on this, except that instead of going for a one-size-fits-most model and going DVD only, they should be offering a choice between getting either a DVD, a regular Blu-Ray, a 4K Blu-Ray, or a download code.  The production cost would increase slightly, but there would be no grumbling about format whatsoever.  Well, except for those who must have each version and then "have to" subscribe multiple times, but I'd wager that's the 1%.

I don't hold out hope that they'd be able to make that work. They struggle with the gifts in most cases. Getting out one version in a timely fashion seems to be a challenge, look at this years address mess up.  I'm not confident they'd manage something more complicated, although they did it with some success with the Slane T-shirts years back.

Still wondering how the PAL/NTSC formatting might figure into this. If the Fan Club has to be responsible for getting the right format to the right countries, I expect huge problems! While a Region 0 DVD will play on any player worldwide, the PAL/NTSC issue will still impact how it's displayed on a TV screen. I think?

George

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »

The fact that a beautiful 4K film is being shipped on DVD makes me (and others) think it's being released in other formats. That added to the rumour mill that said this was going to be released, with more news in March, makes me think it's a way to fill the gift quickly with something they have mastered, approved and ready, but may hope to maintain some income from whatever they might do with it in the future.

100% in agreement.  I don't think that they will end up offering a choice, but doing so would have made a lot of people happy.

I forgot all about those shirts.  Did we choose a size, was that it?

God, Part II

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »

The fact that a beautiful 4K film is being shipped on DVD makes me (and others) think it's being released in other formats.

And it's for this reason that I'm going to wait to renew until much later in the year, even though it means I'll pay $50 to subscribe vs. $40 to renew. If I were to pay $40 for a lame DVD only to turn around a few months later and discover a Blu-ray or 4K UHD disc release of it, I'd be even more livid with this offering than I already am.

morgan1098

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »

The fact that a beautiful 4K film is being shipped on DVD makes me (and others) think it's being released in other formats.

And it's for this reason that I'm going to wait to renew until much later in the year, even though it means I'll pay $50 to subscribe vs. $40 to renew. If I were to pay $40 for a lame DVD only to turn around a few months later and discover a Blu-ray or 4K UHD disc release of it, I'd be even more livid with this offering than I already am.

Pursuant to my theory above, I think this gift effectively puts a nail in the coffin for this being a physical release down the line. As Aaron said, they could still offer/sell it as a 4K streaming product, but I don't think they will release this in a physical format outside the fan club now.

We MIGHT still get the JT Tour as a wide physical release, but I'm not even sure that's a given at this point. A brief theatrical run and then streaming might be all they're hoping for. The market is shrinking, and outside of this forum I don't think music blu rays have the same "collectible" appeal that vinyl and yes, CDs still have among music fans of a certain age.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 07:02:22 PM »

100% in agreement.  I don't think that they will end up offering a choice, but doing so would have made a lot of people happy.

I forgot all about those shirts.  Did we choose a size, was that it?

Size and a design. I got the one I asked for...in the right size. So they've shown they have some hope.  They also offer three packages each year...new gift, old gift and both gifts...

God, Part II

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »
Pursuant to my theory above, I think this gift effectively puts a nail in the coffin for this being a physical release down the line. As Aaron said, they could still offer/sell it as a 4K streaming product, but I don't think they will release this in a physical format outside the fan club now.

We MIGHT still get the JT Tour as a wide physical release, but I'm not even sure that's a given at this point. A brief theatrical run and then streaming might be all they're hoping for. The market is shrinking, and outside of this forum I don't think music blu rays have the same "collectible" appeal that vinyl and yes, CDs still have among music fans of a certain age.

The good news is that I have the better part of a year to wait it out and see if you’re wrong before I cave, if you’re not.

morgan1098

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 06:54:56 PM »
I got an email today from U2.com reminding me that "you only have one day left to resubscribe!" so I took the bait. They said they'd release shipping dates/info in February in the original announcement; they have until end of day tomorrow to make good on that! :)