Author Topic: Fan Club Survey  (Read 3710 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Fan Club Survey
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:14:29 AM »
https://goo.gl/forms/MfA4bt3V8hQbI9OJ2

At the link above you will find a short survey pertaining to fan club gifts and what you personally would like to see for the gift in the next subscription period. Should only take a few minutes to fill out.

God, Part II

Re: Fan Club Survey
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
Completed. Question--how will this information be used? Since U2Songs isn't officially connected to the band, is this information something the fan club will be provided? Have they solicited this feedback? In other words, is there reason to believe the powers that be in the fan club will take our opinions under serious consideration?

Anam

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to the results of this. I'm a fan of vinyl/CDs/lossless files in more or less equal measure. It will be interesting to see where the general preferences lie.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 04:50:24 AM »
For the question:  What would you prefer for a gift?  Initially, I was going to choose Music - CD . . . . . but then I got to thinking about a CD being mailed.  I've read how the mailing process (for fan club subscription gifts) has negatively affected so many people over the last 15 years.  Whether its multiple time delays, incorrect items being mailed or items being damaged because the packaging was poor.  I figure . . . . . . the most efficient thing to do is . . . . . log-in to my account at U2.com and download live audio files, whether they are from a concert on the current tour or from a concert in the past.  I would think . . . . . . setting that up on the website . . . . . would be the easiest task and least expensive project for the people responsible for the subscription gifts.  So for that survey question, I ended up choosing Music - Digital.  I suspect I am in the minority on this one.

If the subscription gift is live audio files, I think fan club subscribers should be able to choose those live audio files from a variety of U2 concerts . . . . . past and present.

I think they should also offer live audio files from performances like the one that Bono and Edge did on June 30, 2018 at the Radio.com beach house on Cape Cod.  There are so many of these types of performances.  Many are done before a tour starts.  Many include just Bono and Edge.  But sometimes, it's the entire band.  Many of those little performances include unique acoustic versions of songs.  Obviously, many of these recent performances are available on YouTube.  But what about the ones from 1990s or the early 2000s?  Did someone in U2 management have the foresight to make quality recordings of these little performances?  I don't know, but . . . . . I suspect recordings of those performances could somehow be acquired.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:57:12 AM by dagobah »

Anam

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »
There are all sorts of ethical arguments in favour of moving to digital music as gifts. There is a lot of regret that physical releases are disappearing, but it can only be positive from an environmental point of view. As for those performances, I suspect many are lost to the ether, or Youtube, but you'd never know. R.E.M. raided the MTV vaults, and have a BBC set out shortly. RTÉ have a mine of broadcasted U2 material also.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »
There are all sorts of ethical arguments in favour of moving to digital music as gifts. There is a lot of regret that physical releases are disappearing, but it can only be positive from an environmental point of view. As for those performances, I suspect many are lost to the ether, or Youtube, but you'd never know. R.E.M. raided the MTV vaults, and have a BBC set out shortly. RTÉ have a mine of broadcasted U2 material also.

Before they dismantled the "U2 Reissues Team" in 2011, they were working on a collection of material from the BBC archives. Two discs of audio and a disc of video.

morgan1098

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »

Before they dismantled the "U2 Reissues Team" in 2011, they were working on a collection of material from the BBC archives. Two discs of audio and a disc of video.

And now REM have beat them to the punch with the recently announced 8CD+DVD set "REM at the BBC."

Anam

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
The REM set looks very good. I was in their fanclub for nearly 20 years. The annual record/CD was always at Christmas and very thoughtfully produced. But only ever had a few tracks; U2 are far more generous in terms of exclusive music.