Author Topic: New Reissues.  (Read 20234 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
New Reissues.
« on: March 01, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
http://www.u2songs.com/news/vinyl_reissues_for_four_recordings

Just a heads up - three of the four reissues we wrote about last month are now appearing on Amazon in the UK. They will be pressed on 180g vinyl, and will come with a download card. The fourth hasn't been listed yet, but expect it a few months from now as it is being released a couple of months later.

Descriptions from Amazon:

All That You Can’t Leave Behind, the tenth studio album from U2, garnered multiple Grammy awards following its release in October 2000 and shot to #1 in 32 countries. Produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, and recorded in Dublin (HQ, Windmill Lane, Westland and Totally Wired) and the South of France, it includes the singles Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of, Elevation and Walk On. Remastered and pressed on 180gsm vinyl, this reissue also includes a download card. The artwork comprises a 16-page booklet featuring lyrics and photography by Anton Corbijn.

3rd March 2018 marks the 21st anniversary of Pop, U2’s ninth studio album, which reached #1 in the UK, US, Ireland and 26 other countries around the world following its release in 1997. Produced by Flood, with Howie B and Steve Osborne, the album was recorded in Dublin (Hanover Quay, Windmill Lane, The Works) and Miami (South Beach Studios). It features the singles: Discothèque, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Please, If God Will Send His Angels and Mofo. Remastered and pressed on 180gsm vinyl, this reissue includes a download card. The artwork has been faithfully reproduced from the original release, including a gatefold sleeve, printed inner sleeves and a lyrics insert.

Wide Awake In America is a four-track half live/half studio EP from 1985. Originally released only in North America and Japan, it was subsequently re-released internationally in the late 1980s. Side A features live performances of A Sort Of Homecoming and Bad from UK shows on The Unforgettable Fire tour in late 1984. Side B features two B-sides from the 12” single of The Unforgettable Fire – The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling. Remastered and pressed on 180gsm vinyl, this reissue includes a download card and the artwork is a faithful reproduction of the original.

There is more information in the article including links to Amazon for those who want to preorder. These will be pretty easy to come by and should be available at record stores worldwide, although only one pressing is likely out of Europe.

George

Re: New Reissues.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
I think that the big news in this, if it's accurate, is that each of these releases has been remastered.  I wonder what this means for future digital formats of these releases.  I thought that it was said, perhaps by The Edge, that the albums from Achtung Baby onward do not require remastering.

morgan1098

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:57:53 PM »
My theory on this, which I have shared before, is that all the albums up to Pop or maybe ATYCLB were remastered for the CD reissue campaign back in 07/08. The whole "remastering overseen by the Edge" situation. There were clearly more remasters planned after Unforgettable Fire. We got the Achtung Baby anniversary set after that, but it was famously NOT remastered.

This is also why the recent Mastered for iTunes versions of ATYCLB, R&H, and Pop all carried a remastering credit for The Edge. I seriously doubt that he got involved in remastering just those three titles for iTunes. I think his involvement dates back to when those were planned as CD reissues. Those 08 remasters were the basis for the MFiT versions.

At any rate, I think it's possible that's why we see the "remastered" credit on these new vinyl copies. They were remastered back in 07 or 08 for the CD reissue campaign and haven't been released until now. Plus, WAIA was remastered in 08 for the UF reissue, and I can't imagine they would have done anything else unique to it for this round.

All pure speculation on my part, of course!

morgan1098

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
I should also add that Aaron has an article coming soon that totally blows my theory out of the water. :)

morgan1098

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 02:03:39 PM »
Ha! Actually, thanks to some late breaking information in this article, my theory was pretty much correct. Pop, R&H, and ATYCLB were remastered with the Edge back in the day but the CD reissue campaign stopped, so the remasters aren't being released until now (both for iTunes and the upcoming vinyl). http://www.u2songs.com/news/pop_reissued_remastered_collected_and_dreams

miryclay

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:32:40 PM »
Ha! Actually, thanks to some late breaking information in this article, my theory was pretty much correct. Pop, R&H, and ATYCLB were remastered with the Edge back in the day but the CD reissue campaign stopped, so the remasters aren't being released until now (both for iTunes and the upcoming vinyl). http://www.u2songs.com/news/pop_reissued_remastered_collected_and_dreams

So these releases are quite significant than. Not as much as the 2CD box editions but more so than the recent HTDAAB edition. After all, these got a tweet from U2. So only R&H hasn't been remastered save iTunes release? What's everyone's opinion on that one?

George

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
http://www.u2songs.com/news/pop_reissued_remastered_collected_and_dreams

Aaron - the write-up that you did on the website is just fantastic.  It's amazing - u2songs.com has consistently been putting out, for me, the best, most comprehensive write-ups on U2 stuff anywhere to be found.  Well done!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »
Thanks George.  I haven't forgotten that I need to sit down and put a few notes together for you on it all as well. But we have been keeping busy lol.  :)

miryclay

Re: New Reissues
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
I always compliment Aaron's writings. It might be a good idea to collect them and publish them one day. So many diaries, journals etc now get published in volumes.

miryclay

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
So that leaves, R&H, Passengers, NLOTH and Best of 90/00 and U218 as having not been released on vinyl since 2007.

Any corrections? 

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
So that leaves, R&H, Passengers, NLOTH and Best of 90/00 and U218 as having not been released on vinyl since 2007.

Any corrections?

U218 is still in print and is regularly repressed. There was a refresh a few years back of that one. The icons on the back are slightly differently sized.

R&H also had a more recent pressing in Europe, think it dates to around 2010, and is still pretty common to find. The pressing coming in October will use the new remaster that was also used for iTunes. (The Rattle and Hum news is here: http://www.u2songs.com/news/new_vinyl_releases_july_27) Both NLOTH and the Best Of 1990 - 2000 should be out on or before next April. That will leave Passengers.

morgan1098

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »
I understand why they did it, to fill up four sides of vinyl, but it's kind of strange that Zooropa got two remixes tagged on to the album for this release. It sticks out like a sore thumb. The inclusion of One Tree Hill on 80-90 is more understandable because at least that was on the original release in some regions.

Nikabrik

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »
Comparing the recent reissue of Pop to my original, I noticed that my copy of the new version has a black hairline rule printed horizontally across the yellow arch. Anybody else have that on theirs?

Panama Jack

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »
Aaron, do you know if there any way to get a lossless version of the 2017 version of SOI?  I purchased the 2017 MFiT version on iTunes, but I would really like to get that particular remaster in lossless.

I recently picked up the recent vinyls with the new WAV remasters of Pop, ATYCLB, AB, Zooropa, Best of 80-90, and WAIA.  And I will get Best of 90-00 and Rattle & Hum when they come out. But again, I really want the new remaster of SOI in a non-lossy format. Thanks in advance!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
Aaron, do you know if there any way to get a lossless version of the 2017 version of SOI?  I purchased the 2017 MFiT version on iTunes, but I would really like to get that particular remaster in lossless.

I recently picked up the recent vinyls with the new WAV remasters of Pop, ATYCLB, AB, Zooropa, Best of 80-90, and WAIA.  And I will get Best of 90-00 and Rattle & Hum when they come out. But again, I really want the new remaster of SOI in a non-lossy format. Thanks in advance!

The issue with "The Troubles" that was on all the other CD pressings, and fixed for the MFiT recording, also seems to have been fixed for the Japanese SHM CD that was released last year.  Will confirm over the next day or so but that may be the one you are looking for.