Author Topic: New Reissues.  (Read 20268 times)

U2Joshua

Re: New Reissues.
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
Brad, do you have an opinion on the vinyl digital download?  I know there some peaks that are over 0.0dB, but have you looked at the waveform like you did the SHM-CD to determine if you feel one is better than the other?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 01:45:41 PM »
They look basically identical to me. I think they may have just decreased the amplitude on the SHM-CD by 0.1 dB, but the mastering looks the same.

Which makes sense if the DR numbers are pretty much the same.

Panama Jack

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
Even though the new Rattle & Hum vinyl that’s coming out is just a repress of the 2002 European release of the original master, is there any chance that the digital download that comes with it is the 2017 remaster?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 05:09:47 AM »
Even though the new Rattle & Hum vinyl that’s coming out is just a repress of the 2002 European release of the original master, is there any chance that the digital download that comes with it is the 2017 remaster?

Was told no. Have a copy on order will confirm when it arrives.

Panama Jack

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »

Thanks! I'll look forward to your report.

Panama Jack

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »

@Aaron, just curious if you were ever able to confirm whether the download card for the recent Ratttle & Hum vinyl reissue gives the original master or the 2017 remaster?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »

@Aaron, just curious if you were ever able to confirm whether the download card for the recent Ratttle & Hum vinyl reissue gives the original master or the 2017 remaster?

Still waiting for it to arrive :(

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »

I got it today and looked at the digital download. 

One thing to remember, the "original" release was often mastered in each country for release, and this results in differences in track timing and even volume as you go country to country. 

This new digital download is not the MFiT remaster from iTunes. The volume is lower, and it has very different track timings and editing decisions (how much crowd noise to leave attached to Van Diemen's land for instance.)

So I then went back through and compared this new digital download to all of the CD pressings I own, including pressings from Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the USA. It doesn't look like the versions from Canada, USA or Japan. There's enough little differences to make me say those are different. But two of my pressings pop out as very similar, the French and German CDs, both from Universal and both with the label number 842 299-2, which matches with the label number on the vinyl itself, 842 299-1.

Track timings are very similar (off by ms) and the volume of the tracks, and dynamics of the tracks are very similar to these pressings on CD.

I looked at an earlier version from Germany as well for comparison, that CD was closer to the Canadian / USA mastering for timing and volume.  So it looks like when Universal took over in 1999, at some point along the way they released a new set of CDs, likely around 2002 when this vinyl first appeared.  The original vinyl at that time (2002) had claimed to be remastered from the original tapes, so there may have been a bit of tweaking, but it is not listed in the credits, and likely wasn't done by the band. 

This new download is definitely not the mfit version. It most closely matches CDs from Europe pressed by Universal after 1990, which carry a similar catalog number. The vinyl itself appears to be a faithful replica of the vinyl that was first issued in 2002 as well.

Panama Jack

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
Not sure if this post is on topic or not for this thread, but figured it's as good of a place as any. 

I recently purchased the Nov 2019 Japanese budget release of SOI (UICY 79043), figuring that it would be the same new mastering that was on the recent SHM-CD releases with the fixed, "Troubles."  I've been wanting the SHM-CD of SOI for a while now, but it's so expensive, so I thought this would be a great alternative cheaper way to get that mastering, even if it wasn't on an SHM-CD. 

Well, it's just a reprint of the original 2014 CD with the bad "Troubles", and not only that, but it's the US version to boot without the bonus Crystal Ballroom remix.  I feel so ripped off! haha  Anyway, if anyone was thinking along my same lines, I figured it was my duty to sound a warning cry on the Nov 2019 Japan re-releases.