Author Topic: Songs of Experience track list, formats, etc.  (Read 18211 times)

morgan1098

Songs of Experience track list, formats, etc.
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
The track list and formats for SOE have been announced. Vinyl, CD, digital, deluxe, etc.

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Lights of Home
3. You're The Best Thing About Me
4. Get Out Of Your Own Way
5. American Soul
6. Summer of Love
7. Red Flag Day
8. The Showman (Little More Better)
9. The Little Things That Give You Away
10. Landlady
11. The Blackout
12. Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
13. 13 (There Is A Light)
Bonus Tracks:
14. Ordinary Love (Extraordinary Mix)
15. Book of Your Heart
16. Lights of Home (St Peter's String Version)
17. You're The Best Thing About Me (U2 Vs. Kygo) [deluxe CD only]

Initial thoughts:
*At 13 tracks this is the most songs on a U2 studio album, the high point was previously 12 with Pop and Achtung Baby (R&H had 17 but only 9 were new studio songs)
*Why in the world is there a remix of Ordinary Love on the deluxe version?
*"13 (There is a Light)" apparently is a reworking of "Song for Someone," so that's more recycled material. But I guess it's a way to tie the Innocence and Experience albums together.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: Songs of Experience track list, formats, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:15:30 AM »
The track list and formats for SOE have been announced. . . . . . .
*Why in the world is there a remix of Ordinary Love on the deluxe version?
Thanks for posting the details.
I haven't heard this Ordinary Love remix.  But whatever their reason is for putting it on the deluxe version . . . . . . I'm just glad it was released in a format I could legally purchase.  I hate trying to hunt down rare remixes or unreleased tracks.

morgan1098

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »
Aaron already put this on the Discography page, but the Japan version of the deluxe CD will include "The Blackout (Jacknife Lee Remix)" as a bonus track.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICI-9068?s_ssid=e32d6959fb96122b63

dagobah

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »
. . . . but the Japan version of the deluxe CD will include "The Blackout (Jacknife Lee Remix)" as a bonus track.

:(

dagobah

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
For the u2songs.com discography listing of the standard jewel case 5-Inch CD of Songs Of Experience
The Track Listing shows 12 tracks, but then . . . . . in Other Notes, it says 13 tracks
 :o

So yes . . . . . . I guess I will be trying to hunt down a digital version of The Backout [Jacknife Lee Remix].  All because:
-  I don't have a record player.  What good does a vinyl record do me?   (i.e. Record Store Day release of the Single)
-  I am reluctant to purchase anything from the other side of the Earth   (will a purchase from Japan really go smoothly?)

It just couldn't be simple, could it?       >:(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:28:38 AM by dagobah »

sawheaton

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »

-  I am reluctant to purchase anything from the other side of the Earth   (will a purchase from Japan really go smoothly?)

It just couldn't be simple, could it?       >:(

It's not that difficult ordering from Japan. There are several websites that are easy to navigate for English speakers. You can use Google translate to make sense of website that aren't in English. There are services in Japan that will bundle packages from several stores in Japan, collect payment, and forward them to the US for a minimal fee. If all that fails the Japanese versions will show up on eBay here in the US but usually for a premium price. I'll be buying the Japanese release for this new album. The only question is do I get the Deluxe CD or go for the full package with vinyl as well.

I've bought the first press of every album from Japan. In addition I've also bought many bootlegs over there. Shipping usually takes about a week and I've never had a problem. From my experience their customer service has been great. I once had a guy run out to the post office to retrieve an already mailed package so he could drop another CD in it. All to save me from paying an extra postage charge.

BlueBlue

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
*At 13 tracks this is the most songs on a U2 studio album, the high point was previously 12 with Pop and Achtung Baby (R&H had 17 but only 9 were new studio songs)

13 tracks, track 13 called 13 - just another reference to their experience from 13 studio albums so far.

morgan1098

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
Re: the Japanese deluxe CD, I have never gone wrong with CD Japan. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

I have ordered some U2 discs from there as well as tons of vintage reggae CDs (yes, being a fan of roots reggae is part of my mid-life crisis. Ha!). The listings are in English, or at least sufficiently enough that you can be sure of what you're ordering. Just be sure to choose the right shipping option. If you're willing to wait a bit longer to receive your order, you can get shipping for relatively cheap. They also offer super expensive shipping that will get it to you sooner.

Here's the listing for the deluxe CD with the bonus track. I now see they're also offering this with a "bonus postcard calendar!" whatever that means. Gotta love the Japanese and their commitment to physical product and extra trinkets.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICI-9068?s_ssid=e330fc5a0b3184ff61
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:12:24 PM by morgan1098 »

dagobah

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 04:15:11 AM »
It's not that difficult ordering from Japan. There are several websites that are easy to navigate for English speakers. You can . . . . . . . .
Re: the Japanese deluxe CD, I have never gone wrong with CD Japan . . . . . . . .
Thanks to both of you for the detailed feedback.  I sincerely appreciate it.  I may use that Japanese website, but I have not yet made up my mind.

In the u2songs.com discography . . . . . for the Digipack listing for 5-Inch CD, Worldwide:
Are we expecting it to be two CDs . . . . . like the 2-CD Deluxe Version of Songs Of Innocence?

miryclay

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
I am pretty sure that SOE is a one disc deluxe edition. We don't know there could be more deluxe versions released six months after December 1. Songs of More Experience.

morgan1098

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
I am pretty sure that SOE is a one disc deluxe edition. We don't know there could be more deluxe versions released six months after December 1. Songs of More Experience.

There isn't a 2CD format this time. The standard CD (13 tracks) is in a jewel case and the deluxe CD (17 tracks or 18 in Japan) is in a cardboard sleeve. From the photos, the deluxe sleeve design does look similar to the SOI deluxe, including the two booklets, but there is only one CD.

BTW, I was wondering if all 18 songs would even fit on the Japan CD, but they will. Here are the times:
Standard album: 51:05
Deluxe album: 67:38
Japan deluxe: 74:56

And I mentioned earlier that at 13 tracks, SOE will have the most songs on any U2 studio album. The previous record was 12 songs for both Achtung Baby and Pop. Pop is still the "longest" U2 studio album in terms of time, at 60:05.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:43:05 PM by morgan1098 »

God, Part II

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
I’m importing mine from Amazon.jp and, if I’m translating well, it will come not only with the exclusive Jacknife Lee mix but also with a bonus calendar of some kind.

morgan1098

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
I’m importing mine from Amazon.jp and, if I’m translating well, it will come not only with the exclusive Jacknife Lee mix but also with a bonus calendar of some kind.

Same with CD Japan! See my post above. Maybe all copies pressed in Japan will be bundled with a calendar.

George

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »

I'm going with CD Japan myself - they seemed to be quite cheaper than Amazon.

dagobah

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:35 AM »
I think I will wait until December 3rd or 4th and then go to cdjapan.co.jp, create an account and buy these 2 items:
          Songs Of Innocence   5-Inch CD x 2   Japan   UICI-1134/5
          Songs Of Experience   5-Inch CD   Japan   UICI-9068

For shipping (to the United States), I want to choose this option because it is the least expensive:
          S AL Small Packet
          (Economy)
          2 - 6 weeks  /  Without Tracking  /  Not Insured

I don’t mind waiting 2 to 6 weeks.  Because you guys have experience with buying from Japan, you might be able to give me some accurate feedback on:
1.  If I wait until December 3rd or 4th to make this purchase, is a delay more likely due to "Not In Stock" ?
        In other words . . . . . . if I wait until after the official release date (December 1st) to make the purchase and hundreds of people
        have already bought Songs Of Experience by then . . . . . . is that Japan website likely to have run out of stock, label
        my order as "Back order" and thus, delay it past the 6 weeks?
2.  Has any one of you guys had a problem with choosing the least expensive shipping option?
3.  When using the least expensive shipping option, what shipping carrier is used once the package gets to the United States?

Well, I went ahead and bought the 2 albums last night from www.cdjapan.co.jp    For shipping, I chose Registered SAL Small Packet (Economy).  I hope they mail both albums together in the same package.  I guess the package will arrive some time in January.  I already had Songs Of Innocence, but I decided I would rather have the Japan release instead.  Basically, I just want both mixes of The Crystal Ballroom on CD.  I'll just give my original Songs Of Innocence album to a friend . . . . . I don't think he ever bought it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:42:08 AM by dagobah »