Author Topic: Songs of Experience track list, formats, etc.  (Read 18559 times)

morgan1098

Re: Songs of Experience track list, formats, etc.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 06:28:38 PM »
I think I will wait until December 3rd or 4th and then go to cdjapan.co.jp, create an account and buy these 2 items:
          Songs Of Innocence   5-Inch CD x 2   Japan   UICI-1134/5
          Songs Of Experience   5-Inch CD   Japan   UICI-9068

For shipping (to the United States), I want to choose this option because it is the least expensive:
          S AL Small Packet
          (Economy)
          2 - 6 weeks  /  Without Tracking  /  Not Insured

I don’t mind waiting 2 to 6 weeks.  Because you guys have experience with buying from Japan, you might be able to give me some accurate feedback on:
1.  If I wait until December 3rd or 4th to make this purchase, is a delay more likely due to "Not In Stock" ?
        In other words . . . . . . if I wait until after the official release date (December 1st) to make the purchase and hundreds of people
        have already bought Songs Of Experience by then . . . . . . is that Japan website likely to have run out of stock, label
        my order as "Back order" and thus, delay it past the 6 weeks?
2.  Has any one of you guys had a problem with choosing the least expensive shipping option?
3.  When using the least expensive shipping option, what shipping carrier is used once the package gets to the United States?

Well, I went ahead and bought the 2 albums last night from www.cdjapan.co.jp    For shipping, I chose Registered SAL Small Packet (Economy).  I hope they mail both albums together in the same package.  I guess the package will arrive some time in January.  I already had Songs Of Innocence, but I decided I would rather have the Japan release instead.  Basically, I just want both mixes of The Crystal Ballroom on CD.  I'll just give my original Songs Of Innocence album to a friend . . . . . I don't think he ever bought it.

Dagobah I went with the same shipping option as well from CD Japan. I got an email earlier this week saying it had shipped. I'll be sure to post here when it arrives. Hope yours get here soon!

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 03:22:49 AM »
I got an email earlier this week saying it had shipped. I'll be sure to post here when it arrives.
Thanks for the info.  I look forward to reading your post . . . . . not only to get an idea of how long the shipping takes, but also because of the bonus postcard calendar (mentioned on Page 1 of this topic).

Panama Jack

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
I think I will wait until December 3rd or 4th and then go to cdjapan.co.jp, create an account and buy these 2 items:
          Songs Of Innocence   5-Inch CD x 2   Japan   UICI-1134/5
          Songs Of Experience   5-Inch CD   Japan   UICI-9068

For shipping (to the United States), I want to choose this option because it is the least expensive:
          S AL Small Packet
          (Economy)
          2 - 6 weeks  /  Without Tracking  /  Not Insured

Well, I went ahead and bought the 2 albums last night from www.cdjapan.co.jp    For shipping, I chose Registered SAL Small Packet (Economy).  I hope they mail both albums together in the same package.  I guess the package will arrive some time in January.  I already had Songs Of Innocence, but I decided I would rather have the Japan release instead.  Basically, I just want both mixes of The Crystal Ballroom on CD.  I'll just give my original Songs Of Innocence album to a friend . . . . . I don't think he ever bought it.

When you receive these, please PM me. If I haven't already found them elsewhere, then I would be willing to PayPal you some $$ for lossless copies of the Crystal Ballroom and Blackout remixes.  Thanks in advance!

God, Part II

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
I can’t speak to CDJapan, but Amazon Japan is faaaaast!

Panama Jack

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »
I can’t speak to CDJapan, but Amazon Japan is faaaaast!

How much was it from Amazon Japan? When did you order? And how long did it take to get to you? 

Amazon US has the Japan Edition for $30.88 and free Prime Shipping (when it comes back in stock).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773KDJ9B/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2MQ7GUZ249L1L&colid=12FJ37VRBYX3K&psc=0

God, Part II

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
How much was it from Amazon Japan? When did you order? And how long did it take to get to you? 

Amazon US has the Japan Edition for $30.88 and free Prime Shipping (when it comes back in stock).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773KDJ9B/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2MQ7GUZ249L1L&colid=12FJ37VRBYX3K&psc=0

Almost to a penny the same cost. It shipped on Thursday and arrived today (Japan to Oklahoma, USA). Not sure if Amazon U.S. also offers the free calendar postcard, though, if that’s important.

dagobah

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 07:27:34 AM »
On u2songs.com . . . . . . in Latest News, there is a write-up titled 2017-12-05: A Sound of Drum and Bass: The U2Songs Staff Reviews Songs Of Experience.  The last line of Brad's review says:
I will make a plug for referring to the bonus track as "Lights of Home (Burn The Witch Version)"

What does Burn The Witch Version refer to?  Is Brad referring to Lights Of Home [St Peter's String Version] ?  Is there a joke that I'm not getting?  If so, can someone explain it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:29:50 AM by dagobah »

dagobah

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
I have another question about the write-up titled 2017-12-05: A Sound of Drum and Bass: The U2Songs Staff Reviews Songs Of Experience.  In Don's review, the last sentence of his first paragraph says:
". . . . . and it dilutes the continuation of the personal themes of SOI (what happened to “The Morning After Innocence” for example?)"

What is "The Morning After Innocence" ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:30:08 AM by dagobah »

God, Part II

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
What does Burn The Witch Version refer to?  Is Brad referring to Lights Of Home [St Peter's String Version] ?  Is there a joke that I'm not getting?  If so, can someone explain it?

Listen to Radiohead’s “Burn the Witch” and all will become clear.

dagobah

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
Listen to Radiohead’s “Burn the Witch” and all will become clear.
OK, thanks.  I have Radiohead's Burn The Witch, but I won't have U2's Lights Of Home [St Peter's String Version] until I receive Songs Of Experience from Japan.  An email said it shipped from Japan on Monday (Dec. 4).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:26:32 AM by dagobah »

morgan1098

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »
I have another question about the write-up titled 2017-12-05: A Sound of Drum and Bass: The U2Songs Staff Reviews Songs Of Experience.  In Don's review, the last sentence of his first paragraph says:
". . . . . and it dilutes the continuation of the personal themes of SOI (what happened to “The Morning After Innocence” for example?)"

What is "The Morning After Innocence" ?

Hey, thanks for reading those reviews!

"The Morning After Innocence" was quoted extensively by Bono in interviews a couple years ago as the song on SOE that picks up where "Songs of Innocence" leaves off. You can read about it and most of the lyrics about halfway through this interview: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-u2s-innocence-spectacle-a-backstage-q-a-with-bono-and-edge-20150521

I understand that plans change, especially in U2's world, but my point in the review is that I think U2 needlessly abandoned some of the original ideas for "Songs of Experience" in order to make room for some Trump commentary. I think that weakens/changes the thematic intent of the new album.

dagobah

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:24 AM »

"The Morning After Innocence" was . . . . .
Thank you for writing them!  I enjoyed every one of them.  And thanks for the link for the Rolling Stone article.  My Internet Browser is having a hard time connecting to that link at this moment so I'll try again later.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »

"The Morning After Innocence" was . . . . .
Thank you for writing them!  I enjoyed every one of them.  And thanks for the link for the Rolling Stone article.  My Internet Browser is having a hard time connecting to that link at this moment so I'll try again later.

There's more about that particular demo here:
http://u2songs.com/demos/the_morning_after_innocence

dagobah

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 04:20:20 AM »
There's more about that particular demo here:
http://u2songs.com/demos/the_morning_after_innocence
Thanks.  Considering the info in that u2songs.com write-up and the info from the Rolling Stone article, I don't expect to see a song titled Morning After Innocence in the future.  Oh well.

jw

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
I happened to see the covers of SOI of SOE side by side today and was struck by the literal contrast between the two covers.  On SOI, the subject (Larry and son) are light against a dark background.  On SOE, the subject (kids) are in dark clothing against a light background.  So the black and white aspects of the two covers are inversions of each other.  I wonder if that was done intentionally.