Author Topic: Welcoming New Forum Members.  (Read 3509 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Welcoming New Forum Members.
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
With the atu2.com forums shutting down, we may have some new visitors around these parts.  We're a pretty laid back group and I'm sure you'll join me in welcoming any stragglers who find their way over here.  Maybe it's time we take a minute and reintroduce ourselves for anyone wandering in for the first time? 

And for those who are here, and who have stayed here over the years, thank you for not making any trouble - ever.  This has been one of the easiest going corners of the internet for me.  Love that it's relatively low maintenance. 

For those who haven't seen the shut down notice, it can be seen here on their forums: http://forum.atu2.com/index.php/topic,32518.0.html (There is no news on whether this is permanent or temporary)  The announcement is a couple of posts down.

morgan1098

Re: Welcoming New Forum Members.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Wow! That's too bad, especially since the decision is motivated by negativity on the board. I, too, am grateful for how drama-free this forum is. I hope it stays that way.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
I'll kick off the hellos.

My name is Aaron or AJ.  And I came up with the idea for this place back in 1995. We've been updating somewhere ever since. Stayed the longest at U2Wanderer.Org (15 years) before moving to U2Songs.Com, and yes the forum is still running at the old site.  I'm a live junkie, and have traveled from Istanbul to Honolulu on pilgrimages to see the band. Favorite album is No Line on the Horizon.  Yes.  No Line. Although my copy has had "Get On Your Boots" surgically removed and replaced with a different mix. When I'm not doing the U2 thing I'm listening to New Order, Arcade Fire, and collecting odds and ends from Star Wars which are stuffed in any hole that isn't filled with the already out of control U2 collection.

And for those wondering why this is in the Discography section? It's the most trafficked section on the forums.  Most of the discussions land here or down in the lyrics...

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:49:14 AM »
With the atu2.com forums shutting down . . . . .

For those who haven't seen the shut down notice, it can be seen here on their forums: http://forum.atu2.com/index.php/topic,32518.0.html (There is no news on whether this is permanent or temporary)
I hadn't logged-in to the atu2.com forum for a few weeks.  That may be the reason I was not aware of the shut down notice.  I tried logging-in with your link above . . . . . it didn't work.  I also tried with my normal Internet page and that didn't work either.  That's weird.  Oh well, no big deal to me.

morgan1098

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »
I'll follow up with another hello.

I'm Don, and I have been visiting this site for many, many years. Aaron brought me on staff a few years back, and since then I have been writing articles (the "5 Albums" series, etc.) and helping with editing, news, social media, etc. I've been a U2 fan since 87 when The Joshua Tree knocked me off my feet. It's still my favorite album by any band, ever. I haven't seen the band live as much as I'd like. In fact, I missed the JT30 Tour because U2 skipped Denver. I joined some other guys on a road trip to see JT30 in St. Louis--and the show was canceled! 1700 miles for nothing. I'm a huge music geek, and outside of U2 some of my favorite groups are Rush, REM, Midnight Oil, Peter Gabriel, a-ha, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Icehouse, Afro Celt Sound System, and many Realworld Records artists, to name just a few.

Kevin

• ZOO Station Radio
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
HI! I've been an lurker here for years (since Sept 2004) but I always login here for U2 discography answers. No other site has the info Aaron has collected. I've been a serious U2 fan since ZooTV days, and started my first U2 fansite in the late 1990's. I've created U2torrents & currently run ZOO station radio, (and other U2 fan properties).   ;)  Thanks for allowing me to be apart of the community.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:21:10 PM by Kevin »

George

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been here since, um, many years.   I've been a fan since Achtung Baby - it was the first album I ever bought and first concert that I saw.  I've seen the band 15 times now.  I mostly enjoy the collecting aspect - U2 music collecting is pretty much my hobby.  I try and contribute whatever knowledge that I can.  Compared to my friends, I'm a U2 encyclopedia, but compared to the true experts that are on this site, I'm more of a small informational brochure.

Welcome to all newcomers!

Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about @U2, seems a lot of forums are obsolete now, used to be you could talk with a lot of people from around the world. Talk about the music, collecting, tours, etc.

Anyway, been around online for about 20 years now, been part of a lot of sites / forums. Done my part in making U2 wealthy for sure. I have an extensive collection and enjoy collecting although many have come to the realization I may be a bit OCD and clinically insane.

So, always around here, there, everywhere.

Eric