Author Topic: U2.com 2017 subscriber "gift"  (Read 989 times)

George

Re: U2.com 2017 subscriber "gift"
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
...the audio hasn't been converted from a smooth analog waveform to a stairstep binary digital code...

This is a myth about digital audio.
http://productionadvice.co.uk/no-stair-steps-in-digital-audio/

Plus, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts these records are cut from a digital master.

Yes, there are no cut-and-dry answers when it comes to what is better, although I generally stand with God Part II in the wish that vinyl would, if not disappear, be matched with an identical digital media release.

There are many releases these days on vinyl that were originally digitally recorded.  Unless you receive a file that is in the original sample rate and bit depth, regardless of whether or not your media is CD or vinyl, you're losing something.

Similarly, lots of recordings, like The Joshua Tree, were recorded to tape.  The gift we're getting has been digitally remastered and is now being pressed to vinyl.  Each step of the way, something is lost.  This is true every time that there is an analogue step involved in the process.  Of course it might be very small, but it is there nevertheless.

George

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
Only if they're lossless will it pass muster with me and, even then, something about music that only exists as a file on a hard drive doesn't sit well with me.

Absolutely yes.  It also makes enjoying the collection much more possible.  Where is the joy in having that rare track on your hard drive when you could have it in your hands?

God, Part II

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Regarding the vinyl aspect, obviously we don't need to start an audiophile debate here, but the merits of vinyl go beyond bitrates. Properly mastered vinyl is truly lossless, in that the audio hasn't been converted from a smooth analog waveform to a stairstep binary digital code. Sure, you might not own a turntable, but most people don't own a CD player anymore either. At least this way you're getting a collectible piece that actually has audio (as opposed to the serigraphs) and if you don't like it, you can resell it for much more money.

This article thoroughly and richly covers why I find vinyl to be a subordinate medium to CD, and on top of all of it, I have to add that each and every time you play a vinyl, it progressively degrades, whereas the fidelity offered by CD remains constant no matter how many times it's played. To George's point, if that's your thing, no sweat off my back, but when the only options offered are vinyl and/or compressed digital downloads/streams, then I get pissed.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

George

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
To George's point, if that's your thing, no sweat off my back, but when the only options offered are vinyl and/or compressed digital downloads/streams, then I get pissed.

Rereading my post, I clearly wasn't clear.  What I meant to convey is that I prefer to have a digital physical copy over simply a downloaded file, as the downloaded version really brings very little joy to me and my collection (in comparison to a CD).  You and I, we're on the same page.

God, Part II

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Rereading my post, I clearly wasn't clear.  What I meant to convey is that I prefer to have a digital physical copy over simply a downloaded file, as the downloaded version really brings very little joy to me and my collection (in comparison to a CD).  You and I, we're on the same page.

LOL, I think you are misreading my reply! I said, "to George's point"--in other words, "in support of what George already said about vinyl and CD coexisting". And when I said "if that's your thing", I was addressing Nikabrik's affection for vinyl.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:11:57 PM by God, Part II »

U2Joshua

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
I'm a digital guy, mainly because I've not invested in a record player, and don't seek out purchasing vinyl.  I believed the experts when things went digital and they said digital was better.  To each their own - I'm fine with someone who thinks clicks, hiss, pop, etc. = better sound.  I listened to plenty of vinyl as a kid, when that was the technology of the day.  For now, I'm a digital consumer, regardless if it's physical (cd) or not.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:37:47 PM by U2Joshua »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
Regarding the vinyl aspect, obviously we don't need to start an audiophile debate here, but the merits of vinyl go beyond bitrates. Properly mastered vinyl is truly lossless, in that the audio hasn't been converted from a smooth analog waveform to a stairstep binary digital code. Sure, you might not own a turntable, but most people don't own a CD player anymore either. At least this way you're getting a collectible piece that actually has audio (as opposed to the serigraphs) and if you don't like it, you can resell it for much more money.

This article thoroughly and richly covers why I find vinyl to be a subordinate medium to CD, and on top of all of it, I have to add that each and every time you play a vinyl, it progressively degrades, whereas the fidelity offered by CD remains constant no matter how many times it's played. To George's point, if that's your thing, no sweat off my back, but when the only options offered are vinyl and/or compressed digital downloads/streams, then I get pissed.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

This video clears up a lot of myths about the "shortcomings" of digital audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM