Poll

What does Bono say at the end of the Chorus?

Leave it out
2 (50%)
Live it out
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: "Please"  (Read 3301 times)

U2Joshua

"Please"
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
...just wanted to drop a note regarding "Please."  Don and I are leading some folks through a survey of U2 selections, and tonight I'll be playing the song "Please" and discussing the lyrics with a group of teens.  It was torturous to decide which version to play, first off, as there are multiple variations (edits).  I'm opting for the U.S. Edit.  Why?  Well...  we're in the U.S., number one  :P  And, it may be no accident that in the U.S. edit they leave out the "September... streets capsizing,..." et. al. section, which may make better sense if you're taking the song's context to be more directly related to the "Troubles" of Northern Ireland, and so forth.  Plus, I just don't want to include that portion as it's a bit more of a sidebar and may add confusion and time to an already limited discussion with kids who have never heard the song before.

At any rate, much appreciation for the lyrics here.  I am curious, however, if anyone else hear's "Live it out!" as opposed to "Leave it out!"?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:32:19 PM by U2Joshua »

slaneman

Re: "Please"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
I didn't do the lyrics for Please on the site but the versions with those lines sound like 'leave' to me. Also the various live versions I've heard sound closer to 'leave'.
But I can understand hearing 'live' occasionally. Sometimes it's a toss up, but 'live it out' just doesn't seem right altho I don't really understand what Bono is talking about all the time. :)

U2Joshua

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Thanks for humoring me, @slaneman.  If there are times when Bono sings, "Live it out," I think it fits the narrative of the song well.

My interpretation is that he is pleading with people to "live out" their beliefs, convictions, and ethics.  The music video helps me understand it this way.  Those who are "on their knees" are people who claim some sort of overarching belief or ethic - often times through the lens of their given faith structure - and being on one's knees is an image of someone who is praying.  Many people claim faith and talk a lot of talk, and will even go so far as to pray for someone or something, but then fail to back up their sentiments or claims with any actionable action.  So, the plea here is for those persons to "get up off (their) knees" and do something about whatever it is they are/were praying for/about.  Or, to use a more common colloquialism, people often fail to "put footsteps to their prayers."

The song is replete with spiritual language and references - i.e.  "catholic blues," "convent shoes," "sermon on the mount," and a bit less specific, but still in the spiritual wheelhouse, "line of grace," etc.  And, in that sense, I think Bono is targeting christendom, in a more immediate sense, but I think the message, or application of the message, is more universal and can be applied to anyone who espouses an ethic, but fails to live out their convictions.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:44:18 PM by U2Joshua »

morgan1098

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
Hmmm. Like Josh, I've always heard this clearly and unambiguously as "Live it out." Stop talking about peace, stop praying about peace, get up off your knees and live it out. I'm certain Bono has talked about this in an interview somewhere but of course now I can't find it!  :)