Author Topic: "The Troubles" CD and Digital releases - Frequency cutoff after 3:30  (Read 2699 times)

U2Joshua

...so, I stumbled across this, accidentally, when reorganizing my lossless library.  Track 11, "The Troubles" from SOI, on both CD and iTunes has a frequency cutoff above 16Khz from about 3:30 and afterward.

The same is not true, however, of the audio portion of the music video found on the i+e Paris DVD and Blu-ray releases.

CD: Attachment 1

iTunes: Attachment 2

(Music Video from) i+e DVD: Attachment 3

(Music Video from) i+e Blu-ray: Attachment 4

I can only assume this is an unintended file data corruption that was pressed to all cd / digital masters.  Having tried a couple of different cds, as well as various online digital releases (both lossless and lossy), they all have this "glitch," while the music video audio appears uncorrupt and pristine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:43:13 PM by U2Joshua »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: "The Troubles" CD and Digital releases - Frequency cutoff after 3:30
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
Strange. It's in my FLAC copy, too.

U2Joshua

...they fixed it (in MFiT) ::)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:30:08 PM by U2Joshua »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Well, I guess that answers my question about whether they actually remastered SOI for these 2017 MFIT versions. I guess I have to rebuy this one as well. 🙄

U2Joshua

Well, I guess that answers my question about whether they actually remastered SOI for these 2017 MFIT versions. I guess I have to rebuy this one as well. 🙄

Yep...  it was the last one I bought...  took a risk - saw that Troubles had been corrected and felt mildly vindicated😏

u2expert

Re: "The Troubles" CD and Digital releases - Frequency cutoff after 3:30
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
U2Joshua, thank you so much for taking the time to post this. Just the excuse I needed to purchase all the MFiT re-releases.

This would contribute perfectly to a u2songs article on record pressing mistakes and recalls. Any takers?

- The Joshua Tree (CD - some US pressing) - One Tree Hill | Exit edit
- “Zoo TV: Live from Sydney” DVD from Achtung Baby 20th Anniversary Region 2, instead of Region Free
- etc...

- Larry dropping his drum stick during Ultra Violet does not count. ;D (Couldn't help myself)

Cheers,
u2expert