Author Topic: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release  (Read 11542 times)

MDuchek

Re: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
I thought I had heard BTBS was from 11/11?

miryclay

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 07:06:57 PM »
That was the date of the SF concert in which they didn't play that track.

If you listen to this video boot (which many not be correct you can hear Bono speak Spanish which isn't on JT30)

https://youtu.be/5oiaV7bQ8aY?t=295

miryclay

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »
Here is the official download link:

http://redeem.thejoshuatree.com/

slaneman

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:55 PM »
Eureka! I’ve discovered the guiding principle for U2’s editing of live shows.
It was right in front of my eyes, like those spinning red dots after a 6-pack of Guinness...

Some quick math yields a simple solution. This is child’s play for any grade school mind like mine.

It could also answer other age old questions such as:  Is there really a Santa Claus? What is a MFiT, really, and can I save a .jpg of one to my desktop? Will it be chilly on Mars? Should I take a sweater? When will the next album be released and will global warming have expanded the oceans so far by then that I’ll need a canoe to make it to 7-11 for some Fritos?

U2Joshua

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
🤣

God, Part II

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
Eureka! I’ve discovered the guiding principle for U2’s editing of live shows.
It was right in front of my eyes, like those spinning red dots after a 6-pack of Guinness...

Some quick math yields a simple solution. This is child’s play for any grade school mind like mine.

It could also answer other age old questions such as:  Is there really a Santa Claus? What is a MFiT, really, and can I save a .jpg of one to my desktop? Will it be chilly on Mars? Should I take a sweater? When will the next album be released and will global warming have expanded the oceans so far by then that I’ll need a canoe to make it to 7-11 for some Fritos?

Still makes more sense than the lyrics to "Elvis Presley and America".

U2Joshua

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
Okay, legitimate question:  apologies in advance if discussed elsewhere, already, and I missed it.

Why did they jack with the b-sides/bonuses disc, as compared to its release in 2007?  As I see it, they deleted "Streets (Edit)" and replaced with two remixes that could have just as easily been added to the Remixes CD.

I suppose I see that with Lillywhite's alternative 87' mix it is seen as distinct from the other remixes, in that the other remixes are all contemporary.  That being said, why did Eno's OTH Reprise not make the remixes disc?

Did they just want to make it "different" than the 2007 release?

morgan1098

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
The Eno mix definitely should have gone on the remixes disc. It's a 2017 creation and makes no sense with the archival material. The Lillywhite makes sense where it is as it's really an early mix, almost a demo, rather than a reinterpretation. I have no idea why they took off the Streets single version... that one should be there.

As for "why"? Good question. I'm convinced there is some sort of legal/business reason why they tweak these things the way they do. Put it in the same category as moving "Mysterious Ways" out of the running order and making it a bonus track on U2: Go Home, or making the "acoustic sessions" a single track on SOI deluxe. I'm guessing these decisions go down to fine print and $$$ somewhere, because they make no sense from a purely aesthetic or marketing perspective.