Author Topic: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release  (Read 11533 times)

George

The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »
The discussion already started a bit in the thread about the 2014(!) U2.com gift.  It's quite clear that we seem to have a desire of not wanting to start new topics?!

Anyhow, I was initially excited about this, as I am with any new release.  It looks beautiful.  But as I got thinking properly, I became pretty disappointed with this new set.  I am very glad that the deluxe vinyl and CD versions have identical audio content.  And the photo book and photos, while they will probably only be looked at a couple of times, do seem quite nice.  But here are my criticisms.  Some of these criticisms may overlap with each other.

1.  The concert is missing four tracks - The Unforgettable Fire, Help!, Bad, and Spanish Eyes.  This is presumably done in order to fit everything onto one CD.  That's a shame.

2.  The decision to include new remixes instead of demo versions, as was done with the Kindergarten versions on the Achtung Baby set.  From the list here, it looks like we're only getting one alternative mix from 1987, the other seven are new:
  • One Tree Hill 2017 Remix (St Francis Hotel)
  • Bullet the Blue Sky 2017 Remix (Jacknife Lee)
  • Running To Stand Still 2017 Remix (Daniel Lanois)
  • Red Hill Mining Town 2017 Mix (Steve Lillywhite)
  • With or Without You 2017 Remix (Daniel Lanois)
  • Where The Streets Have No Name 2017 Remix (Flood)
  • I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
  • One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)

3.  The single edit of Streets is missing.  I don't really care, but as far as a complete set goes, it's not here, yet it made the 20th anniversary re-release.

4.  Where are the tracks from the same era that appeared on compilations only?  I'm thinking about:
  • Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
  • Jesus Christ
  • Maggie's Farm
  • Springhill Mining Disaster

5.  No Blu-Ray or high-definition audio?  Achtung Baby had a downloadable 24-96 version available for its re-release.

6.  No 5.1 surround sound mix?  Many "top" artists are creating these for their re-releases.

7.  No video content?  The 20th anniversary set included a concert, promo videos, a documentary, and other unreleased videos.

8.  The price is pretty excessive.  Only the eight aforementioned tracks are new releases (the concert has been available on Wolfgang's Vault for download for several years).  In comparison to the Achtung Baby release, it's a bit outrageous.  That release (the "super" version) gave far more new material for only a little bit more money than is being asked for this release.

9.  I'm restating it, but a Kindergarten-like CD would have been a very nice addition to this package.

miryclay

Re: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
I think we just have to accept that albums are living and breathing documents. TJT started this by having multiple sleeve covers for CD, cassette and vinyl. So the precedent is there. U2 tend not to be too completist in their thinking and tend to value artistry a little more. Here is an interesting JT website:

https://public.tableau.com/views/2017-JoshuaTree-2/Dashboard6?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowVizHome=no#1

morgan1098

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
I think U2 is pretty protective of their demos, except in rare cases. They got burned when the Axtung Beibi outtakes were leaked and said on numerous occasions that the music was never intended to be heard by the public. And in the article on the Joshua Tree demos this week on U2Songs there's that quote from the Edge about how "Womanfish" "never should have seen the light of day." I think in U2's mind, if something isn't worth developing past demo form, it's not for public consumption. Of course their fans don't feel that way.

I'm optimistic about the new remixes because they are largely done by the original production team: Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite, and Flood. I'm guessing these will sound more like "alternate" versions than actual remixes, and that's a good thing. We know that the Red Hill Mining Town remix brings the original brass more into the mix, and of course the re-recorded vocals so that Bono can sing it live. My guess is that these "remixes" actually will be similar to the "baby" versions from the AB set. I hope so.

Agree on the price, though. That's crazy. I will hope that the price for the 4CD set drops well below $100 on amazon. I'm still fuming that we can't use the U2.com 25 percent off coupon on these.   >:(

I did notice that even the CD set comes with a digital download card. I wonder if they will offer FLAC or some other high-res format? I'm sure no 5.1 though.

miryclay

morgan1098

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
Currently I can get the 4CD set for $82 including shipping to the US from amazon Germany. Cheapest I've found so far. Amazon US is currently $110. The problem is I'll have to wait almost two weeks past release date to get it from Germany.

miryclay

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
Here is an interview with Lanois from Sunday night where he discusses each song on the album. Fourth stream down on the showreel.

http://mixlr.com/bono_girl/showreel/

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
IIRC, there was no announcement about the 24-bit release of Achtung Baby. it just showed up on HDtracks.

The press release did say that Joshua Tree is being released in "digital formats," so I am still hopeful that we will see a 24-bit release, at least for the main album.

U2Joshua

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »
Not to be unnecessarily contradictory, here, but the HD release of AB is only 24/44.1, and not 24/96, which 24/96 is actually a much more common HD release format, and to those who argue for such things it would be "better" (sounding/quality).

I recently read that all new submissions to Apple for the iTunes Store must be in 24-but, as apparently they are future-proofing their store content for if/when they decide to compete in the HD music space.

If that's true, makes you wonder what is actually out there from the U2 camp that has never seen the light of day.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:56:21 AM »
Actually, I see quite a few new albums released in 24/44.1 these days on 7digital, HDtracks, Qobuz and the like. That said, I beleive Joshua Tree was originally recorded to analog tape, so if they were going to do a high-resolution transfer, there would be no reason not to go with 24/96 or 24/192.

And I believe that Apple story is a bit of a myth. They prefer to receive 24-bit masters, but I don't think they would refuse to sell an album if it wasn't available in that format. In fact, plenty of albums in the 80's and 90's were recorded in 16-bit digital.

U2Joshua

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
Actually, I see quite a few new albums released in 24/44.1 these days on 7digital, HDtracks, Qobuz and the like. That said, I beleive Joshua Tree was originally recorded to analog tape, so if they were going to do a high-resolution transfer, there would be no reason not to go with 24/96 or 24/192.

And I believe that Apple story is a bit of a myth. They prefer to receive 24-bit masters, but I don't think they would refuse to sell an album if it wasn't available in that format. In fact, plenty of albums in the 80's and 90's were recorded in 16-bit digital.

Got it.  Thanks for the clarification.  Sounds like you're ahead of the curve on this HD music thing  8)

miryclay

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »

miryclay

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »
Here is an A/B of the RHMT versions.

https://youtu.be/CbvwBeIhJvw

morgan1098

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »
One week to go until release day. Has anyone seen any unique promos or other stuff pop up for this? I thought it was interesting that Jimmy Kimmel had the box set on his desk when U2 was on the show earlier this week. It could have been just a mock-up, of course, but he commented on how heavy it was, so it was probably the real thing.

The Hermit

• I'm a traveler of both time and space
    • My Collection

morgan1098

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »
https://twitter.com/AtomicCollector/status/862389692079247360

Thanks! I've been meaning to ask about that here... does anyone know why that Croke Park cassette (we mentioned it on Twitter and Facebook recently) puts RHMT at the end of Side A and starts Side B with In God's Country? That has to be intentional... right?!?