Author Topic: New single  (Read 2439 times)

morgan1098

New single
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
So Aaron has some interesting info on a possible new U2 single on the front page. http://www.u2songs.com/news/steve_lillywhite_mixing_new_u2_single1

What does everyone think of Lillywhite's involvement? I find it interesting that he was not involved in any way with SOI, and instead U2 had a bunch of young whippersnappers like Ryan Tedder and Dangermouse. And yet now it appears that they have a veteran working on SOE. It seems like the roles should be reversed in this scenario.

God, Part II

Re: New single
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
Well, keep in mind, it's not just Mr. Lillywhite, but apparently DJ Kygo and DJ Khaled are also working with them, too, so they still have some of that young blood running through the veins of SOE (though my own blood chilled at hearing Khaled's name--I was able to handle Dangermouse, but now this? The world doesn't need a hip-hop U2. The world doesn't need U2 adapting to current radio trends--it needs to do what it does naturally so well that, like this month's offerings from Green Day and Kings of Leon, radio can't help but pay attention!). For me, though, this is a sign that U2 is seeking fresh production talent to take them 75% of the way to the radio finish line before reclaiming the core U2 sonic stamp in the final lap.

morgan1098

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »
Well, keep in mind, it's not just Mr. Lillywhite, but apparently DJ Kygo and DJ Khaled are also working with them, too, so they still have some of that young blood running through the veins of SOE (though my own blood chilled at hearing Khaled's name--I was able to handle Dangermouse, but now this? The world doesn't need a hip-hop U2. The world doesn't need U2 adapting to current radio trends--it needs to do what it does naturally so well that, like this month's offerings from Green Day and Kings of Leon, radio can't help but pay attention!). For me, though, this is a sign that U2 is seeking fresh production talent to take them 75% of the way to the radio finish line before reclaiming the core U2 sonic stamp in the final lap.

Yeah, I know it's not like the old days. If Steve Lillywhite's name appears in the credits of SOE, it will be in a long list of other producers/mixers, including some younger, hipper names. I just thought it was weird that it would happen with SOE rather than SOI, since the first album was all about going back to their earliest roots.

God, Part II

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »
Maybe it's a kind of reverse psychology. "We used young talent to help today's youth relate to our experience as youths (SOI), but now that we've got 'em paying attention, let's show them why we're the best band in the world--U2 unfiltered, shed of the clothing of modern pop radio sensibility--by bringing back some of the old guard."

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »

Read the Khaled article again. We updated with some other information. Pretty sure he's working on something for (RED) with Bono and it's nothing to do with the band.  And I wouldn't worry about Kygo either.  I do suspect he's just remixed the song and he's not the actual producer on it...