Author Topic: The History Mix  (Read 2857 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
The History Mix
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:39:28 PM »
http://www.u2songs.com/news/historymix

Back a few months ago we started a semi-regular column called "The History Mix".  It's our way of digging into U2's past in different ways.  We've looked at U2's Christmas songs, a piece on remixes, a piece on how they've done as solo artists in the Irish charts, a piece on the cover for the Passengers album, etc.

It's a great place to look back on things that might not fit elsewhere. 

Just wanted to bring it to the attention of those here who may not frequent the news.  Perhaps there will be a story there that catches someone's interest.  The link above will take you to all of the columns to date.  We've been fairly routine getting these out about every two weeks or so.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: The History Mix
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:08:37 AM »
Aaron, thanks for the heads-up.

When I first went to the main page of the forum and saw "The History Mix" on the right side of the screen, I thought, "Hey, someone must have taken the audio of "The History Mix" 7:40 video montage (from the limited edition bonus DVD of The Best Of 1990-2000), separated it from the DVD and created an MP3 of it."    :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:11:19 AM by dagobah »

miryclay

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:12:05 AM »
I hope they continue with that format of The History Mix that was made on the AB video. Years later as I got into Video and Graphic Design as a hobby did I realize how amazing those ten minutes were.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
Aaron, thanks for the heads-up.

When I first went to the main page of the forum and saw "The History Mix" on the right side of the screen, I thought, "Hey, someone must have taken the audio of "The History Mix" 7:40 video montage (from the limited edition bonus DVD of The Best Of 1990-2000), separated it from the DVD and created an MP3 of it."    :P

That is where we took the name from.  A bit obscure to some I realize, but I've always liked that clip...one of the first things I can remember Carl and I working on as a team when he joined me was a transcription of that video...

Anyway i liked it for a look back into U2's history.  It's kind of wide open as for content. Playing with some ideas and having a bit more fun with it. :)

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
I just read the one titled Covering Passengers (Aaron J Sams with assistance from Harry Kantas)

Fascinating!  A lot of research sure goes into those columns.  I don't know how you have the time to do it.  I loved the 1990s era of U2 . . . especially Passengers:  Original Soundtracks 1.  I still play most of its tracks quite often.  Back then . . . . . I actually thought all of the films discussed in the CD booklet were real films (but then eventually discovered only three of the films were real).

miryclay

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 07:01:25 AM »
Aaron,

Thanks for posting this. I found EPs to be pleasant for a number of reasons. They can be a bait for fans inbetween album cycles or be an interesting housekeeping endeavor like Wide Awake in America. A couple of years ago I created some music with some friends for recording and realized all that was coming out was EP amounts of content. We concluded that it was either that we were either part of the video game/ADD generation or that the album was really just a commercial based endeavor all along anyway.

morgan1098

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »
Here's the Billboard article from 2014 (referenced in the History Mix article) explaining why EPs have become a big deal again, especially for newer acts:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6221881/ep-music-business-success