Author Topic: Oddities.  (Read 2102 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Oddities.
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
Hi All --

We are still working on moving content to the new site and finishing off the content that has already been moved.  It's time to look at one section that hasn't had an update in a while:

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/fun.html

The original intention was to place items here that only had a tenuous connection to U2.  Or that just would not fit anywhere else.  U2 collectibles such as the Staring at the Sun kaleidoscope,  tour merchandise etc, would go elsewhere.  This would be for stuff that contains no U2 music, but probably still needs a nod somewhere in the site.

The list as it last was published was:
1994 Bubble and Gum (Not Official)
1994 Live from Sydney Promotional Announcement
1996 Exile on Classical Street - Various
1999 ReWired - Jeep Grrlz
2001 New Year's Dub - Musique vs. U2
2003 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Press Kit
2003 In God's Country: The Music That Inspired the Joshua Tree
2003 Peter and the Wolf Book and CD
2004 Take Me to the Clouds Above - LMC vs U2
2005 MOJO U2 Jukebox - Various

Right away I'd say that the "Live from Sydney Promotional Announcement" should come out and be posted with any collectibles.  But the others give you an idea what we were looking at.  CDs that are built around a U2 sample such as the Jeep Grrlz and Musique vs U2 singles. Collections that U2 had a hand curating. 

So I'm throwing it out there.  What's missing?  Any suggestions for what needs to be added?

My own thoughts on a few things?  The Johnny Cash box set of Love God Murder includes liner notes by Bono, so that would be a possible inclusion.  The first CD that sampled U2 was by Kiss AMC and called "A bit of" which is probably notable for being there first and should be added. 

Anyone have any favorite fun items you think might fit in well?

George

Re: Oddities.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
I think that the following stand out from the list because they are essentially just remixes of U2 tracks.  There is actual musical U2 content here.  Of the three, the LMC single is the only one that adds vocals to the U2 content.
1999 Re-Wired - Jeep Grrlz
2001 New Years Dub - Musique vs. U2
2004 Take Me to the Clouds Above - LMC vs U2

Also, I would include the digital only (?) single from 2007, "V2 vs. U2 (Remixes)", which is just two remixes of With Or Without You.  And what about the promo-only "New Years Dub 2000" remixes by Ferry Corsten from 1999?  Or is that already in the main discography because the track did eventually get used years later on the War remaster deluxe release?

Regarding:
1996 Exile on Classical Street - Various
Perhaps a section could be devoted to tribute albums?  The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra released "Pride: The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays U2" in 1999 as well.  No doubt there are others, such as the lullaby album?

As for all the other things that do not include performances, suddenly a grey area emerges as you might have to ask how these items actually fit into a discography.  If you include Bubble and Gum, do you include the U2 condoms?  Tour books?  Calendars?  Clothing?  What about Negativeland?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
The New Year's Dub mixes are in the discography because they are credited to U2. 

These other three are important as you said as they are based around the U2 track first and foremost, and the entire release is.  The reason I only include those three is because those are the three which U2 had had a hand in directly.  I don't want to try to track down every song by every artist that will include a sample of U2's work.  But those ones stand out as "bigger" things to be aware of.  And maybe down the road we can work on a list of what else samples appear in...

There is a section for tribute albums, it'll be the last thing i probably work on bringing across, but it too will eventually need an update.  The old section was here:
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/tribute.html

Negativeland should go in the "Oddities" section - that's the sort of thing i was thinking of.  Good one.  So should the M released Pop Muzik Remixes which included the remix used on Popmart, and maybe even EBN's "We Will Rock You" cd.  Released items that aren't U2 but would be of interest.  Things that won't fit elsewhere.

Anything that U2 releases themselves, such as condoms, tour books, calendars, clothing would all stay in the collectibles section, unless it has an audio or video component then it would go in the proper spot under audio or video.  Bubble and Gum should probably come out but i said I'd move everything across first before moving or so on.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:03:22 AM »
Landslide by Harmonix is similar to New Years Dub in that the whole track is built around samples of Streets. I have an EP with six different mixes of the track. No idea whether this was endorsed by the band in any way.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »
There's also Grace's "Skin on Skin" / "Orange" built on the Perfecto Mix of Lemon.  That also spawned a whole CD of mixes...I'm thinking maybe a sampled page will be better for some of these...