Poll

What was your favorite gift from the current fan club at u2.com?

2005: Metal Keychain
2006: U2 Communication (Live tracks from Milan and Chicago, and CDRom)
2007: Zoo TV Live (Live tracks from Zoo TV Sydney DVD)
2008: U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle (Live tracks from Slane Castle DVD)
2009: Medium, Rare and Remastered (Rare tracks from The Complete U2 and Remasters)
2010: Artificial Horizon (Remixes)
2011: Duals (U2 with other performers)
2012: U22 (Double CD Live tracks from U2360 Tour)
2013: From the Ground Up: Musical Edition (Single CD U2360 Tour, Lithographs, Book)
2014: North Side Story (Book)
2015: Another Time, Another Place (2x10-inch Vinyl)
2016: U2ieTour Serigraphs (4 Limited Edition Prints)

Author Topic: Favorite Fan Club Gift  (Read 8060 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Favorite Fan Club Gift
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »
We've had 12 gifts from the fan club since they stopped the publishing of Propaganda and I'm interested in finding out what gift if any is your favorite?  Feel free to discuss as well.  You can pick just your favorite, or your favorites up to a total of three items. 

God, Part II

Re: Favorite Fan Club Gift
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:19:28 AM »
Just because of the sheer breadth and scope of the release, I have to go with U22 but MEDIUM, RARE AND REMASTERED and FROM THE GROUND UP are also very strong contenders. Still stunned, after being on tour all year, at how badly they dropped the ball on this year's offering.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
Just because of the sheer breadth and scope of the release, I have to go with U22 but MEDIUM, RARE AND REMASTERED and FROM THE GROUND UP are also very strong contenders. Still stunned, after being on tour all year, at how badly they dropped the ball on this year's offering.

I left it open to multiple votes in case someone wanted to add more than one.  I went with the same ones you mentioned.  Although most of "Medium, Rare, and Remastered" had previously been released it was nice to have those on CD and not just as a lossy download from iTunes.

U22 was impressive with the big booklet, and the whole "pick your favorites" idea they did.  "From the Ground Up" really impressed me too - it was a book, lithographs, bookmarks, and a CD.  That was awesome. 

Nikabrik

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »
I've gotta go with Artifical Horizon 3xLP and the Live from the Marquee 2x10". With the former, there were tracks that either weren't previously released commercially or were very difficult to find, and with the latter, it was a nice full setlist of an early show that showed well-known songs in their infancy. So the music was great.

But honestly, the vinyl releases are the best by far for me. CDs are so cheap to manufacture, and are nearly irrelevant when digital files are so easily obtained. Getting digital files plus a truly custom analog physical package (with fantastic packaging, like colored vinyl and foil embossing on Artificial Horizon) is what felt the most like they actually put some effort in. The Duals CD was so poorly designed that it looked like a student project. Terribly.

U2fan1966

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »
I LOVED the U22 discs from the 360 Tour. I have often thought it would be a great fundraiser if they picked a tour and sold the soundboard version of the shows; or even a given leg.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
I've gotta go with Artifical Horizon 3xLP and the Live from the Marquee 2x10". With the former, there were tracks that either weren't previously released commercially or were very difficult to find, and with the latter, it was a nice full setlist of an early show that showed well-known songs in their infancy. So the music was great.

The 3xLP for "Artificial Horizon" wasn't the fan club gift that year.  The CD version was the gift.  If you wanted the vinyl you had to buy it separate.  :)  Although I do love that they offered up something like that.  Speaking of which, it's still available to buy at u2.com if anyone didn't get it the first time around...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:29:52 AM »
I LOVED the U22 discs from the 360 Tour. I have often thought it would be a great fundraiser if they picked a tour and sold the soundboard version of the shows; or even a given leg.

Can you imagine what it would be like if you were given the option to get any full show from the tour when you subscribed?  You sign up and they give you the full set of dates and let you pick one.  Do it up with a nice booklet, some nice art on the discs, and I bet people would go wild for it.  :)

U2fan1966

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
Great idea....think how much they could raise for the Red Campaign, or how many wells could be built. The possibilities are huge.

CONCERTCHICK

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
My favorite was the U2360 tour book with the CD, lithographs, and bookmarks.  I was very impressed by that!  I recently opened it though and when I went to pull the lithographs out of the sleeve, they were stuck to some glue that was inside the sleeve.  Had no idea there was glue in there or how that happened, so now there's a little bit of litho ripped off of Bono lol.  Boo!  I also liked the U22 CD's and the Slane Castle CD. 

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
My favorite was the U2360 tour book with the CD, lithographs, and bookmarks.  I was very impressed by that!  I recently opened it though and when I went to pull the lithographs out of the sleeve, they were stuck to some glue that was inside the sleeve.  Had no idea there was glue in there or how that happened, so now there's a little bit of litho ripped off of Bono lol.  Boo!  I also liked the U22 CD's and the Slane Castle CD.

Uh oh.  I better check mine out now.  Mine have been there since I got the book.  Much the same as the new ones will rest in whatever they send them in for all time lol. :)

enaul

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
Medium, Rare and Remastered (Rare tracks from The Complete U2 and Remasters), especially the bits from the Itunes "Unreleased And Rare" in a great quality make this one a great item. My favourite!
U2 Communication has great songs, altough later releases have replaced this one, but i still like the item.
U22 and From the Ground Up: Musical Edition are great souvenirs of the tour, also the additional mp3s were superb.
Another Time, Another Place (2x10-inch Vinyl) never opened, missed tracks, i think, never listened side D, because it was not downloadable ...

Zoo TV Live: The original Westwood One Show on cd sounds better.
U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle: ok, but the dvd is ok too.
North Side Story (Book) ok, some articles i missed over the years, ugly poster.

The 2005 Metal Keychain never comes out of its envelope.
2010: Artificial Horizon (Remixes) and 2011: Duals (U2 with other performers) Nah

U2ieTour Serigraphs (4 Limited Edition Prints): Are they serious??? I hope they still will cancel my order ....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:55:13 AM by enaul »

morgan1098

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

I had the same problem with the glued lithographs. I immediately requested a replacement, and ended up with not one, but TWO new copies. So now I actually have three of these sitting on my shelf, one with glued lithographs and two regular ones.

As for a favorite fan club gift, I'd pick U22, From the Ground Up, and Medium/Rare/Remastered. I also have a soft spot for Artificial Horizon, and I like Zoo TV and U2 Go Home despite the fact that they inexplicably took "Mysterious Ways" out of the show and tagged it on at the end.

George

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:11 PM »
I also have a soft spot for Artificial Horizon.

This was my fourth pick after From The Ground Up, U22, and RM&R.  Horizon at least offered a couple of new tracks and some upgrades of previously promo-vinyl-only material.

My favorite was the U2360 tour book with the CD, lithographs, and bookmarks.  I was very impressed by that!  I recently opened it though and when I went to pull the lithographs out of the sleeve, they were stuck to some glue that was inside the sleeve.  Had no idea there was glue in there or how that happened, so now there's a little bit of litho ripped off of Bono lol.

I just found that my Bono was stuck, too!  I'm glad you mentioned it, because I didn't pull much on it and ruin it.  I got a hair dryer and after a couple of minutes the glue warmed up just enough all along to allow me to take the lithograph out almost unharmed.

Can you imagine what it would be like if you were given the option to get any full show from the tour when you subscribed?  You sign up and they give you the full set of dates and let you pick one.  Do it up with a nice booklet, some nice art on the discs, and I bet people would go wild for it.  :)

I actually would not like that.  There would be no way that I could properly own all of the shows, and so my collection would feel like it would forever have an unfillable hole in it.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »
I also have a soft spot for Artificial Horizon.

This was my fourth pick after From The Ground Up, U22, and RM&R.  Horizon at least offered a couple of new tracks and some upgrades of previously promo-vinyl-only material.

My favorite was the U2360 tour book with the CD, lithographs, and bookmarks.  I was very impressed by that!  I recently opened it though and when I went to pull the lithographs out of the sleeve, they were stuck to some glue that was inside the sleeve.  Had no idea there was glue in there or how that happened, so now there's a little bit of litho ripped off of Bono lol.

I just found that my Bono was stuck, too!  I'm glad you mentioned it, because I didn't pull much on it and ruin it.  I got a hair dryer and after a couple of minutes the glue warmed up just enough all along to allow me to take the lithograph out almost unharmed.

I actually would not like that.  There would be no way that I could properly own all of the shows, and so my collection would feel like it would forever have an unfillable hole in it.

Maybe an opportunity to do something useful with the tiered pricing.  $40 for one, $50 for two, $75 for four, $200 for a full set.  :)

God, Part II

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
Maybe an opportunity to do something useful with the tiered pricing.  $40 for one, $50 for two, $75 for four, $200 for a full set.  :)

TAKE MY MONEY!!!