Author Topic: "Lemon (Momo's Reprise)" vs. "Lemon (Momo's Beats)"?  (Read 5806 times)

U2Joshua

"Lemon (Momo's Reprise)" vs. "Lemon (Momo's Beats)"?
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
Can anyone shed light on these two mixes of "Lemon" for me?

Having purchased The Complete U2 on iTunes in 2004, and upgrading it to iTunes Plus in 2009, the Lemon (Remixes) album purportedly included both "Lemon (Momo's Reprise)" and "Lemon (Momo's Beats)."  However, it seems that they errantly included "Lemon (Momo's Reprise), twice, and called the 2nd one "Beats" when in reality it's the identical track as "Reprise."  Both have a track length of 4:09, while http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/pr033.html indicates that "Beats" should be in the neighborhood of 4:25

Unfortunately, both of these tracks are otherwise only available on Vinyl, so finding the correct digital copy of "Beats" seems next to impossible.  The closest I've come to it is this (low quality) YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQVeRD4iSI, for which I assume the audio is a vinyl rip, with the audio component being 96kbps.

Does anyone have any information they can provide on this?  Particularly, whether a legitimate digital copy of "Lemon (Momo's Beats)" is available, anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

U2Joshua

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: "Lemon (Momo's Reprise)" vs. "Lemon (Momo's Beats)"?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
If you do a search in the forum here you'll find some notes about the mix up in iTunes.  They never did fix it.  And I'm not sure a digital copy exists, at least not any that I'm aware of.  I do have the vinyl though, and one of these days real soon i'll finish digitizing my own collection.  I will take a peek when i get home to see if i have a copy of this one for you though...

U2Joshua

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
If you do a search in the forum here you'll find some notes about the mix up in iTunes.  They never did fix it.  And I'm not sure a digital copy exists, at least not any that I'm aware of.  I do have the vinyl though, and one of these days real soon i'll finish digitizing my own collection.  I will take a peek when i get home to see if i have a copy of this one for you though...

Thanks, Aaron!  I look forward to it.

Regards,

U2Joshua

miryclay

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
Aaron,

Is your work on the Lemon single complete or is it just untrackable?

miryclay

MDuchek

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
Yes, the YouTube link you provided is Momo's Beats (I have the vinyl) and I think it actually sounds all right if you ask me.  Both of the "Momo" mixes and the Serious Def Dub are all variations on elements in the Bad Yard Club Mix, all by David Morales.

MDuchek

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
Also Momo's reprise is on the Achtung Baby Deluxe so it is now available on CD.  In fact I thought it was released on another CD release previously, but currently I am only finding it on one of the fruitlegs (Mango).  Hmmm...

I took a bunch of vinyl only mixes and put them to CD at one point, but I don't think my rip sounds much better than the Youtube link.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 01:51:54 AM »
I ran across this thread because I've been upgrading all of my U2 singles in my iTunes library to lossless and I remembered this error in The Complete U2.

I was able to rip the DASH audio from that YouTube stream, which is 128 kbps. I still hear a ton of compression artifact, so I assume that it was encoded from a lossy source to begin with. A decent vinyl rip should sound much better, so I guess I will have to track down a vinyl promo.

There was also a promo cassette with all of the David Morales mixes, but it doesn't appear that those pop up too often for sale. Vinyl is a better source anyway, IMHO.

morgan1098

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
The cassette in question is the S.I.N.Mix cassette that Aaron wrote about earlier this week:

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
There was also an Island internal promo cassette.

https://www.discogs.com/U2-Lemon-David-Morales-Remixes/release/10168733

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Found an allegedly mint copy of the vinyl on Discogs. Should have it in a few days.

U2Joshua

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
Found an allegedly mint copy of the vinyl on Discogs. Should have it in a few days.

Sweet!

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:49 AM »
The cassette in question is the S.I.N.Mix cassette that Aaron wrote about earlier this week:

The u2songs.com discography page for the track Lemon [Momo's Beats] says:
The version of this included on “The Complete U2” is actually wrongly labeled, and is “Momo’s Reprise”.
Yes, “Momo’s Reprise” was included on that compilation twice in error.

So that SINMIX cassette had both   Lemon[Momo's Reprise]   and   Lemon [Momo's Beats]   . . . . . and they were the same track?
In Lemon [Momo's Beats], was the extra 20 seconds just silence?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »

The u2songs.com discography page for the track Lemon [Momo's Beats] says:
The version of this included on “The Complete U2” is actually wrongly labeled, and is “Momo’s Reprise”.
Yes, “Momo’s Reprise” was included on that compilation twice in error.

So that SINMIX cassette had both   Lemon[Momo's Reprise]   and   Lemon [Momo's Beats]   . . . . . and they were the same track?
In Lemon [Momo's Beats], was the extra 20 seconds just silence?

There are two different tracks, Momo's Reprise and Momo's Beats. Both are on the cassette, and both can be found on promotional pressings of Lemon. It's only on "The Complete U2" that there is an error and one is wrongly named, resulting in the same track being available twice under different names on that set.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »
There are two different . . . . . . . .
Thanks for the additional confirmation.