Author Topic: New U2 song: "Ordinary Love"  (Read 61028 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: New U2 song: "Ordinary Love"
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
I picked up the Mandela DVD this morning. The audio is English 5.1 and Spanish 2.0 Dolby. Unfortunately on the Spanish soundtrack there is some narration over the beginning of the song, so I guess I will have to manually mix down the 5.1 audio to get a proper stereo mix of the movie version of Ordinary Love.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:56:14 AM by Brad »

slaneman

« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
So is the DVD version identical to the the version shown in the movie theater?

If so there's still the fact that the Spanish version on the DVD has dialogue over it, hence not quite identical.  :P

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »
There's also a version with director's commentary in stereo.  ;D

As far as I know, this is the same version that ran in theaters. Has the "tough enough" part repeated three times at the end.

slaneman

« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
Thanks...hopefully the director is speaking English.  ;D

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
I'll have to look at the Canadian release - it's unlikely we have a Spanish track up here.  So maybe there will be something different on this end.  Bought it last night but haven't had a chance to open the package yet.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
I never saw Mandela in theaters, but the DVD version does appear to be the same version that people described hearing in the theater, including the outro with the "tough enough" line repeated three times. A better way to end the song than the fade out of the single version, if you ask me. It's definitely distinct from the single version, the Epworth mix, and the Interscope promo mix.

Unfortunately, there is no clean stereo version of the track on the US or Canadian version of the DVD. The US release has a 5.1 English language track and a Dolby 2.0 Spanish language track. The Spanish language track has some narration over the intro, ruining the only stereo mix. The English language track has a serious imbalance between the left front and right front channels. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake or a very odd artistic choice until I examined the Canadian DVD...

The Canadian DVD has Dolby 5.1 English and French tracks. The English language track has the same channel imbalance, which is obviously a mistake. The French language track is correctly balance, so the best way to get a clean version of this film version of Ordinary Love is to order the Canadian DVD, rip the French language track, and mix it down to stereo.

I don't have the hardware to rip the Blu-ray version. Would be interested to know if there is a stereo track there or if it has the same channel balance problem. I also need to look at the specs on other international releases to see if there may be a stereo track on one of those.

Obviously a little disappointed with the US DVD. I wonder if Amazon will accept a return if I explain the disc is flawed?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »
Blu-ray is apparently English and Spanish 5.1, so no stereo track. It is DTS-HD, which is lossless 5.1.

I should probably learn to rip Blu-rays at some point. Have to get an external drive first, though.

morgan1098

« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
Long shot here, but does anyone know where I can get a digital version of the Interscope promo version of "Ordinary Love"? I meant to try and capture it from this link, but it's no longer available:

https://soundcloud.com/igapromotion/u2-ordinary-love

:)