Author Topic: New U2 album SONGS OF INNOCENCE  (Read 90378 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: New U2 album SONGS OF INNOCENCE
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
yes, i was told by two sources i trust that it would be digital only that there are no plans for any commercial physical releases on January 12. 

morgan1098

« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
yes, i was told by two sources i trust that it would be digital only that there are no plans for any commercial physical releases on January 12.

It's tough to figure out the rules on the digital frontier. The Billboard article clearly states that EBW is already being played on Clear Channel stations and it's climbing the air play charts (albeit quite slowly). So at least in the US, the single is already "released." I'm not sure what is supposed to be happening on January 12. I'm not expecting a physical release either, but like Brad, I'm hoping we get something interesting like a single remix or a new b-side in digital form.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:36:23 PM by morgan1098 »

slaneman

« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
Will we get B-sides? Will we get remixes? Will they offer flac?
(Will the Broncos get the ring?)

Don't touch the water!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »

It's tough to figure out the rules on the digital frontier. The Billboard article clearly states that EBW is already being played on Clear Channel stations and it's climbing the air play charts (albeit quite slowly). So at least in the US, the single is already "released." I'm not sure what is supposed to be happening on January 12. I'm not expecting a physical release either, but like Brad, I'm hoping we get something interesting like a single remix or a new b-side in digital form.

Sorry.  I'm obviously not making myself clear.

The promotional release has already happened.  Promotional CDs are circulating and the track has been digitally delivered to radio stations for airplay.  This is the equivalent of an old time promotional CD which would show up before the single.

The January 12 date refers to the date the "single" will be made available for purchase in digital store fronts and a push will be put on selling that single.  I was told there would not be a physical release, so no CD and no vinyl, just that there will be a digital single available.  It could be as simple as the current song with the new artwork.  I have no information on whether or not there are going to be additional tracks.  It could be just the video for the song being released for individual sale on iTunes (if there is a video separate from the Films project).  I wouldn't sit around waiting for bonus tracks...

slaneman

« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »
If 'The Miracle' was any indication, then I wasn't hoping for much. 

(I had to make a small joke for Don) :)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
I'm certainly not holding my breath for anything. Not sure how many digital sales they would get selling an album cut that was available for free for as long as it was, but I guess the fixed cost would be close to zero.

I've also heard that a video of the 60 Minutes Australia performance of EBW was pushed out as a promotional video in November, but don't know if they would try to sell that sort of thing.

I agree that the most likely thing is the album version with new cover art and nothing else.

morgan1098

« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2014, 04:08:48 PM »

Sorry.  I'm obviously not making myself clear.

The promotional release has already happened.  Promotional CDs are circulating and the track has been digitally delivered to radio stations for airplay.  This is the equivalent of an old time promotional CD which would show up before the single.

The January 12 date refers to the date the "single" will be made available for purchase in digital store fronts and a push will be put on selling that single.  I was told there would not be a physical release, so no CD and no vinyl, just that there will be a digital single available.  It could be as simple as the current song with the new artwork.  I have no information on whether or not there are going to be additional tracks.  It could be just the video for the song being released for individual sale on iTunes (if there is a video separate from the Films project).  I wouldn't sit around waiting for bonus tracks...

Yeah, I got it. I was only commenting on how strange the idea of a "single" is in the digital world. As you said, the EBW promos are already out there and it is getting radio play. If the purpose of a promo single is to convince people to either 1) buy the single or 2) buy the full album, THEY CAN ALREADY DO THAT! Why wait for January 12? If I heard "EBW" on the radio today and thought, "Oh! I've got to have that!" I could go straight to iTunes and either download the individual song or download the full album. What would be the point of waiting until Jan. 12?

I'm just asking rhetorical questions here. I'm just too old skool to understand 21st century marketing.  :)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
So can I put EBW in my "U2 Singles" playlist now, or do I have to wait until Jan. 12?  ;D

slaneman

« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »

I've also heard that a video of the 60 Minutes Australia performance of EBW was pushed out as a promotional video in November, but don't know if they would try to sell that sort of thing.

Is this that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukyqbZOR5Bc

It's got a couple tiny video edits but it sounds like the Aussie one from 'extra minutes'--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRKdKxGaHo

It truly sucks that physical media is dead. 

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
Yeah, that looks like the one.

u2hmtmkmkm

« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
"
"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith... Echoes of this song seem to appear in "Song For Someone" on Songs Of Innocence.
"

I noticed this comment on an atu2.com article. Does anyone else agree with that, and can explain where they see the similarities? I'm currently listening to the live version from Miami in 2011 and I don't notice anything.

miryclay

« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
I don't hear it. North Star is a superior song IMHO.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
i agree with this one.  I never hear "North Star" in there.  I'll have to look up the original discussion on that one to see if there's any insight to where that came from...

miryclay

« Reply #238 on: December 17, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
The chord changes in North Star are beautiful.

miryclay

« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »
Kinda looks like something from the HTDAAB Portgual photo shoot but good nonetheless.

I was thinking the same thing! It looks like a lot of photos in the HTDAAB booklet.

Another EBW promo

https://www.facebook.com/U2Market/photos/a.78487989035.76452.75855394035/10152948080414036/?type=3&theater