Poll

Are you happy with the amount of information on each discography page?

Yes, it's perfect.
No, I'd like it to be more streamlined.
No, I want even more information.
Not interested in matrix info.
Don't need liner notes on the page.
Other (please comment in the thread).

Author Topic: Are you happy with the amount of information on each discography page?  (Read 15235 times)

God, Part II

Re: Are you happy with the amount of information on each discography page?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
For me, a price guide would be useless; the price I will pay for a U2 CD revolves solely around how much I want the music, not what the "going rate" is.  My emphasis is on building a U2 music library, not a U2 music collection, if that makes sense.  Oh, and Aaron, thanks for looking into my situation; I'm upgrading my PC this weekend and then can begin submitting some of the aforementioned updates--just so I don't continue to spin my wheels, to which email address should I forward them?

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »
search won't be a problem with the new system, in fact it's something I'd like to really flesh out (though probably on the side as an alternate to more traditional navigation).

price guide just seems like a losing battle in terms of time. maybe just have the top x rare items (U2 3, some promo stuff, etc). then again I'm not a collector.  ;D

slaneman

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »
Regarding the atU2 price guide, I agree the actual pricing is pointless. But much of the background info was extremely informative about the rarer items. I would like to see it somewhere here on the site if it's not a big hassle. I wouldn't include the prices or worry about updating them, however. I'm not a collector and I truly suck at U2 discography but I learned a lot from reading that section. Was sad to see it go. I thought the info was very helpful, especially for someone new to U2 collecting.

George

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 03:02:28 AM »
Re: info on the page.  I think that releases that have identical track lists but come from different countries or slightly vary in artwork should be merged into the same entry.  There can be a subsection stating the countries of release and different art works.

Like GP2, I also contributed something a while ago but never saw it.  I don't really mind, as I have it and know it exists, but it should be up (it's the one-track US Discotheque David Morales Radio Edit [4:07]).

I'd be happy to contribute to the database building or whatever.  I've been building my own at home for years.

sleus

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 04:09:59 AM »
IRegarding price guiding I agree with the above. Í wouldn't be interested in such a thing as there are already other websites on the net doing that.

Stick to your core, which is building the best U2 discography section ever!! 

People should use this site to see what U2 items are out there. How to get them, and at what cost, well that's up to them, is not the task of U2sanderer. At least that's the way I see it.

Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
Re: info on the page.  I think that releases that have identical track lists but come from different countries or slightly vary in artwork should be merged into the same entry.  There can be a subsection stating the countries of release and different art works.

This is something we're pondering - it'd make things a bit more streamlined and only people that collect to have every item would be a little left out (I don't see how we'd put in matrix/upc for every similar release in a reasonable manner).

u2expert

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
I’d personally like to see the following:

- Add a form (linked to the main page) where we can submit new or previous releases for review by the u2wanderer.org team. Request the following: title, track(s), release date, catalog number, attach images (include scanning guidelines), notes etc...

- Consider writing an article every few months going into deep analysis of a recording...

http://www.u2wanderer.org/isthatall/004.html is an excellent reference for anyone who purchased 'The Complete U2' it could be updated to include the iTunes Plus upgrade.

http://www.atu2.com/news/the-three-sunrises-a-listeners-guide-to-the-unforgettable-fire-remaster.html by Mark Stevens is an outstanding article on the recent The Unforgettable Fire Remastered release. Recruit him to write a similar article on War and The Joshua Tree!

How about an article(s) exploring the lesser known officially released recordings e.g. Báidín Fheidhlimí by Bono from the Gangs of New York Film

Cheers,
u2expert

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »
As has been stated a few times, we're going to allow people to submit content, what form that takes will pretty much be dictated by the easiest way to manage the information.

re: more articles, I doubt it.  "Recruiting" people from other fan websites is probably not going to happen, it's not like we get paid to do this.

Bobsboy

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »
Sometimes it would be helpful if there were more details on differentiating between versions of a particular track...other than that, really...the information contained on this site is amazing. Also...and this may be something you're already considering or working on...it would be nice to include a section on or listings of "semi-official' tracks. I'm thinking of things like the Daniel Lanois version of "Thank You" that was available as part of a podcast downloadable from I-Tunes, the Alex Metric remix of "...Crazy Tonight", which was officially sanctioned by the band and played by him during a radio set, but never released, or the song "Don't Come Knocking" which never had a true commercial release but was in the movie of the same name. Thanks for listening, and, if no one else says it, truly, thanks for this site. i can't explain to you what a helpful resource it's been over the years. This and one other U2 site are the only ones i make sure to check every single day.

God, Part II

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
What is "Thank You"?  A U2 track?  I've never heard of it, Daniel Lanois remix or otherwise...

u2expert

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »
What is "Thank You"?  A U2 track?  I've never heard of it, Daniel Lanois remix or otherwise...
All explained here: http://www.u2wanderer.org/rtss/index.php?topic=273.0

Cheers,
u2expert

God, Part II

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
Ah, thank you (he he...see what I did there?)...my collecting angle has been pretty laser-focused on tracks where one or more members of the band actually perform, not just "written by" stuff (with only rare exceptions, like "You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart" and "Goldeneye").

slaneman

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Ah, thank you (he he...see what I did there?)...my collecting angle has been pretty laser-focused on tracks where one or more members of the band actually perform, not just "written by" stuff (with only rare exceptions, like "You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart" and "Goldeneye").

For GP2---
**Groan***  **Thud** **Crickets chirping**

Watch out you don't hurt anyone with that laser-focused collecting angle.  >:(

For U2expert--
I'm impressed somebody read that old thread. Seems like ancient history now. My how TIME FLIES.........   ::)

slaneman

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 11:43:51 PM »
Ok--both my jokes went thud...tough crowd here... :D

God, Part II

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
Ok--both my jokes went thud...tough crowd here... :D

Gotta be honest, the angry face ( >:() made me fear you weren't joking and I'd really rubbed you the wrong way with my cheezy attempt at humor. (*shrug*)