Author Topic: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.  (Read 56039 times)

morgan1098

Re: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
I hope they announce something soon because I need to renew. Last year I speculated we'd get "Songs of Ascent"... but that's because I thought it was just going to be leftovers from the NLOTH sessions. Now we know it's actually the third album in U2's planned trilogy.  :)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
Anyone want to speculate on what the new subscribers gift will be? I am hoping they put both 360 and any more North Side Stories to bed...
A compilation of SOI promo performances would be welcome.

Go back to the 360 and give us an EP of new songs from then - "mercy", "boy falls", "Glastonbury", "North Star", "stingray guitar". And throw in a CD single with bsides (a remix, a live version, a new track) for The Miracle and EBW.

morgan1098

« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »
Anyone want to speculate on what the new subscribers gift will be? I am hoping they put both 360 and any more North Side Stories to bed...
A compilation of SOI promo performances would be welcome.

Go back to the 360 and give us an EP of new songs from then - "mercy", "boy falls", "Glastonbury", "North Star", "stingray guitar". And throw in a CD single with bsides (a remix, a live version, a new track) for The Miracle and EBW.

That would be awesome!!!  Last year the announcement came on 14 November, so hopefully we'll hear something in the next couple of days.  I'm kind of worried that they gave us so many extras with the actual album release that there might not be that much left for the fan club.

Last year's gift was not the greatest, but the book IS a good read and it ties in perfectly with the themes of the new album. I wonder if that was the plan all along?  Probably not.

George

« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »

I'm 100% behind this idea.  Someone needs to tell someone who makes things happen to make it so.

u2hmtmkmkm

« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »

Unless those songs would make it onto Songs of Experience. Mercy and North Star were my favourites on the tour. Sad not to see them get high quality treatment with official release... yet.

PatrickM

« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2014, 05:30:05 AM »

With the tour announcement coming soon, my expectations for the subscriber's gift are close to zero. I really don't expect anything else other than the presale codes. This year's subscription rate is already attractive for the hardcore fans and I just don't see them digging into the archives to offer something rare or unreleased.  Keeping in mind the gift (if any) will be SOI-related, here are two options I would really like to have:

1) A double A-side 7' single for The Miracle/Every Breaking Wave
2) A 12' single for Crystal Ballroom Remixes.

Don't hold your expectations to anything more than that.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
I don't know.  They are in an odd space with this one.  If tickets go on sale next week, then they are faced with a number of subscribers who will not have to renew to enter into the ticket sales.  Many of us have been bumped ahead now and subscriptions renew in FEB / MAR instead.  So they'll renew after the ticket sales.

They could be devious and offer a second set of presales if you renew.  That would probably get people interested, but otherwise they might have to actually work to get people to sign up again...

Although a tour is a surefire way to ensure they are going to get tonnes of new subscribers.

miryclay

« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »
I suspect a new package will be on the horizon. I would move away from 360 extra tracks because a) 360 is over b) they were not happy with those bridges and such in EBW and other test tracks. An EP of say the Jo W session would be great or even an exclusive record pressings of the acoustic sessions. Double 45's or 12" single of Crystal Ballroom would also be great.

I hope they save those 360 rarities, North Star and Mercy for SOE.   

miryclay

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
Don't hold your breath for Mercy, Stingray or Glastonbury. They are all done.

morgan1098

« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »
They're so focused on the new material now (and rightly so!), I think it would be a mistake to do another "archival" release for the fan club. Hopefully there are some cool SOI-related gems that they could put on a CD or vinyl.

At the same time, I also think it's possible that tickets might be the only real fan club incentive this year, and that there won't be a physical gift. I hope I'm wrong though.

miryclay

« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
I think U2 should continue the wave of generosity for their fans. No one likes to subscribe to a website that doesn't offer tickets and it has been a couple of years. I really like the subscriber gifts because they usually release stuff that is semi-promo anyway. Think u2Communication and Slane. It is possible that they might announce a gift but not distribute it till the new tour in the spring.

Medium was an excellent comp that tidied up some housekeeping and was released a month after NLOTH so maybe we will see another one. It is fun to hear songs in new contexts. I still feel that they should leave behind AB, 360 and anything related to North Side. Subscriber only R & H remaster would be cool.

miryclay

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »
If they release Medium Part 2 what would be on it?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »
I suspect a new package will be on the horizon. I would move away from 360 extra tracks because a) 360 is over b) they were not happy with those bridges and such in EBW and other test tracks. An EP of say the Jo W session would be great or even an exclusive record pressings of the acoustic sessions. Double 45's or 12" single of Crystal Ballroom would also be great.

I hope they save those 360 rarities, North Star and Mercy for SOE.   

Mercy has already been released in a live format.  So it's already out there.  What's the harm in going back again?  As for North Star - it's also already showing up in the 4th Transformers movie, and elements of it are showing up on the new album.  so it may not be a starter from here either...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »
If they release Medium Part 2 what would be on it?

Not that much that i'd be interested in.

Full band stuff? Released since the last compilation...
Soon.
The new songs from Achtung Baby Remaster, Oh Berlin and the like
Winter (soundtrack and Linear versions)
An Acoustic Version of Original of the Species
North Star as it appeared in Transformers
Ordinary Love.
Live version of Mercy.
The Unforgettable Fire remastered material.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
They're so focused on the new material now (and rightly so!), I think it would be a mistake to do another "archival" release for the fan club. Hopefully there are some cool SOI-related gems that they could put on a CD or vinyl.

At the same time, I also think it's possible that tickets might be the only real fan club incentive this year, and that there won't be a physical gift. I hope I'm wrong though.

They could look at other avenues for revenue on the tickets as well.  They are now being managed by Guy Oseary who also manages Madonna.  Madonna doesn't sell a fan club membership.  Instead you buy access to a presale.  She'll sell so many shows in one week and you buy access to the presales for those shows.

So you buy your access.  I think it was $40.  You get a small gift (it was a poster or a laminate).  And you get access to the presales for all the shows on sale that week.  So if Toronto and Ottawa are both on sale that week you can try for either. 

But she spreads her ticket sales over a wider window.  So Toronto and Montreal might be in different weeks.  So if you want presale access to both you buy two presale access codes.  It gets expensive quickly if you like going to multiple cities.

I've already heard that pricing will be similar to her last outing in the seats, so they may borrow a few other ideas from her as well.