Author Topic: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.  (Read 55973 times)

PatrickM

Re: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

"Angel of Harlem" is now available to download as well.

George

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »
Very good!  Just two more remain.  I am suddenly confident that they will be made available now.

As for the the five tracks debuted on the tour, well, I'm not confident, but I U2.com isn't giving me reason not to hope.

Edit: and what a good version!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:41:44 PM by George »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »
So Auckland, then? I believe that was the only performance from the 360 tour?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, looks like they played it several times on the European leg. Will have to figure out which show.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:32:38 PM by Brad »

PatrickM

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »
It's from Paris, July 12th, 2009.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »
Thanks! Saves me from having to YouTube every performance.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Concerning these two most recent U2.com bonus downloads, Pride (In The Name Of Love) and Angel Of Harlem . . . . . . I'm just not impressed with them.  In this new download of Angel Of Harlem, the Michael Jackson song snippets don't do anything for me.

I do appreciate different live versions . . . . . like if U2 does a live acoustic version of a song . . . . . or if U2 makes huge changes in the live performance, like they did with I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (for example, their Somerville Theatre live version [which is similar to the album version] is completely different from their live version on the Artificial Horizon CD).

Having said that, I don't need 8 or 9 live versions of songs . . . . . 2 or 3 will do.  But I suspect I'm in the minority.

I much prefer my existing live versions of Pride (In The Name Of Love) and Angel Of Harlem, which are the only ones I have in my iTunes library:

Pride (In The Name Of Love) from the 2-CD U2 Go Home Live At Slane Castle, Meath, Ireland, September 1, 2001

Pride (In The Name Of Love) from a single track iTunes purchase - Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony when U2 was inducted, New York City, NY, March 14, 2005

Angel Of Harlem from the 2-CD U2 Zoo TV Live, Sydney, Australia, November 27, 1993

Thus, I'm deleting these newest U2.com bonus downloads from my iTunes library.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »
Concerning these two most recent U2.com bonus downloads, Pride (In The Name Of Love) and Angel Of Harlem . . . . . . I'm just not impressed with them.  In this new download of Angel Of Harlem, the Michael Jackson song snippets don't do anything for me.

As the U2360 tour was getting ready to launch the news of Michael Jackson's death went around the world. I was at those first two shows in Barcelona and my friends and I were surrounded by music by Michael Jackson.  You couldn't escape it. Driving to the show the cab driver had Thriller playing.  It was a really nice touch to hear Bono doing those bits in concert.  He added MJ snippets to Desire on one night, and Angel of Harlem on another.  And the snippets continued through the first bunch of shows on the first leg.

They weren't the best I've ever heard.  And sometimes it sounded like he was really straining.  And taken out of context this way they sound really strange. 

OK U2.com - we now need some "Party Girl", "Mothers of the Disappeared" and "Stingray Guitar".  We know you have them.  :)

As for the new tracks that debuted live?  If those songs are on the new album, they'd be the perfect choices for backing tracks to some of the singles.  An "Every Breaking Wave" single to lead off the releases from the album with live b-sides of "EBW", "North Star" and others?  That'd be a nice start.  :)

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm also hoping that Every Breaking Wave, North Star and Mercy could possibly show up on the new album, but has there been an example of a song debuting live and then appearing on a full length album? I think we've missed the boat on these songs. Maybe one would appear as a bonus track the way Fast Cars was on Atomic Bomb? I'd even be okay with Stingray, Mercy, Every Breaking Wave and North Star taking up half the space on a new album, because they're all too good to care that we only get half an album of new songs. But B-Sides is probably the only hope we have. Just hope they're studio versions so they can be as complete as the band want them.

miryclay

« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
The track is ok....the snippet is topical and fitting. However, when U2 get loose, like really loose sometimes disaster strikes. The same happened with Desire in Mexico on POP. There is a difference between loose and a trainwreck. This track straddles that line.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
I guess that's why it's a free download. Gift horse, etc...  ;D

miryclay

« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
I know, :)

My mothers used to say when feeding us....

Beggars can't be choosers.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
My copy arrived today in Nova Scotia.  YAY!  Still no sign of the replacement discs for U22 and Zoo TV Live that they said they would send out but just got notification that those have shipped as well.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
For those of you . . . . who have received your Edge's Picks CD, has anyone determined any errors in the track-list printed in the From The Ground Up book?  Errors such as concert location of where the tracks were performed or date of performance.

Remember that the U22 booklet contained this misprint:
first track on Disc 1 of U22
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Recorded at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, May 15, 2011
The U22 booklet mistakenly states the song was performed November 15, 2011

morgan1098

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
For those of you . . . . who have received your Edge's Picks CD, has anyone determined any errors in the track-list printed in the From The Ground Up book?  Errors such as concert location of where the tracks were performed or date of performance.

Remember that the U22 booklet contained this misprint:
first track on Disc 1 of U22
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Recorded at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, May 15, 2011
The U22 booklet mistakenly states the song was performed November 15, 2011

I mentioned this already, but in the credits, Terry Lawless is credited with keyboards on Pride (In the Name of Love), which of course isn't even on the CD.

George

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »
OK U2.com - we now need some "Party Girl", "Mothers of the Disappeared" and "Stingray Guitar".  We know you have them.  :)

Tick-tock, U2.com.  We're waiting.  You've built up our expectations.  Just give us what we want...