Author Topic: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.  (Read 55983 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
I received my copy of From The Ground Up today. Very, very nice package and definitely worth the renewal price.

The cover image is contained in the book, so I've made some iTunes cover art to match the book cover. The only drawback is that Aaron isn't hiding in this one.  ;)

Is that the jacket of the book that came out through u2.com?  If so it is different than the one released in stores. 

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
Yeah, it's a thick paper dust jacket of sorts that has a pocket in the front for the photos and a slot in the back for the CD. There's also a gatefold on the back with some spider cam photos of the claw.

The book, I assume, is the same as what is sold in stores except for the dust jacket. There's no mention of "Music Edition" printed on the actual book.

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
Couple questions, where was that photo taken? As in, the actual stadium and city, but then, where is the camera situated and where does it point? It looks like it's taken from the ground, hence the title, but it also looks like the camera warps to make it look like the camera is below the ground... or something. Can someone explain it to a layman like myself?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
You don't recognize that stadium ceiling? Seriously, the book doesn't say, but maybe someone will recognize it.

I assume the photo was made by the "gigapixel fancam" that was used to make panoramic crowd shots at North American shows. If you look at those photos on U2.com, you can tilt upward and get a similar "ground up" view of the claw. There are a couple of similar shots in the gatefold of the dust jacket.

http://www.u2.com/gigapixelfancam/110708/

morgan1098

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
Brad, that iTunes art is perfect. Thanks for that.

I should know this already, but how much text is in the book?

miryclay

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
I got my notice today. This is exciting.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
I received my copy of From The Ground Up today. Very, very nice package and definitely worth the renewal price.
Yeah, it's a thick paper dust jacket of sorts that has a pocket in the front for the photos and a slot in the back for the CD.
Brad, you did not mention that you received the Edge's Picks CD.  If there's a slot in the back of the book for the Edge's Picks CD, then what will it be sent inside of . . . . . when they mail it to us?

Will it be a cardboard sleeve thing like:
-  the Zoo TV Live CDs
-  the Artificial Horizon CD

Or will it be a cardboard sleeve thing (that opens like a book) like:
-  the Go Home Live From Slane Castle CDs
-  the U2.communication CD/CD-ROM
-  the Starbucks All You Need Is Love CD

I got my notice today. This is exciting.
Notice?  What are you referring to?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:01:06 PM by dagobah »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
You don't recognize that stadium ceiling? Seriously, the book doesn't say, but maybe someone will recognize it.

I assume the photo was made by the "gigapixel fancam" that was used to make panoramic crowd shots at North American shows. If you look at those photos on U2.com, you can tilt upward and get a similar "ground up" view of the claw. There are a couple of similar shots in the gatefold of the dust jacket.

http://www.u2.com/gigapixelfancam/110708/

I'm pretty sure it is also from the London show in 2009.  Not sure specifically which one, but i've seen that image before and i think it was from the set they did at Wembley.  I'll try to track it down again...

A

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
Brad, you did not mention that you received the Edge's Picks CD.

The CD was included. It was inserted in a slot in the back of the dust jacket.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
Couple questions, where was that photo taken? As in, the actual stadium and city, but then, where is the camera situated and where does it point? It looks like it's taken from the ground, hence the title, but it also looks like the camera warps to make it look like the camera is below the ground... or something. Can someone explain it to a layman like myself?

It's not London.  I was thinking of the image at his site:

http://www.larmann.com/ - click on the "360o Full Sphere" link on the left to see what I was thinking of.  It's definitely not that stadium once I had a good look.  I assume the version in the book is probably taken by a similar rig perhaps.  Maybe seeing that 3D image will help you conceptualize better where the camera may be?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

Not a huge amount.  It's five chapters, and I read it in an afternoon.  Easy enough to plow through.  Felt maybe it was a bit short on content at times.  Seemed to jump big sections of the tour.  Focused on a handful of shows...

morgan1098

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »

Not a huge amount.  It's five chapters, and I read it in an afternoon.  Easy enough to plow through.  Felt maybe it was a bit short on content at times.  Seemed to jump big sections of the tour.  Focused on a handful of shows...

Oh yeah, I remember now.  I think you said something similar in a review of the book for @U2.  Thanks!  Hopefully mine will arrive today or tomorrow.

morgan1098

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
Got it today!!  Haven't listened yet, but a few initial observations:

1. Edge offers commentary on each song on the CD just like Adam, although the comments are shorter.  He refers to GOYB as "much maligned."  Gotta love the honesty!  :)

2. Only credited snippet is "Let's Dance" by Bowie.  Redanka and Dirty South are credited for the remix on Crazy Tonight, and the sample of the Iranian song is also credited.

3. Terry Lawless is credited with keyboards on Electrical Storm, IALW, and... Pride.  Perhaps Pride was cut from the CD at the last minute?

Can't wait to listen and read!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
3. Terry Lawless is credited with keyboards on Electrical Storm, IALW, and... Pride.  Perhaps Pride was cut from the CD at the last minute?

No offense to anyone who likes Pride but - YAAAY!!  So glad it wasn't on there.  I'm so tired of that song.  :)  But everyone's milage differs.  Met a young guy in Dublin who was seeing them for the first time and all he wanted was to see Pride.  He was so enjoying every minute of it when they played it too.  :)

morgan1098

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »

No offense to anyone who likes Pride but - YAAAY!!  So glad it wasn't on there.  I'm so tired of that song.  :)  But everyone's milage differs.  Met a young guy in Dublin who was seeing them for the first time and all he wanted was to see Pride.  He was so enjoying every minute of it when they played it too.  :)

Since when has "Pride" involved keyboards anyway?  :/