Author Topic: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.  (Read 55976 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: U2.Com 2012 Membership Package.
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »
Don't get me wrong - this package is great (along with U22)!  However, as good as some things can be, it doesn't mean that they're perfect, and I certainly believe that third releases of 360 versions of Crazy or Sunday Bloody Sunday would be met with great happiness amongst fans if they were replaced with Mothers of the Disappeared and others.

As happy as I would have been with "Mothers of the Disappeared", I figured from the start that "Crazy" would show up on this.  If it's supposed to be representative of the 360 tour along with what's on U22, then you had to have "Crazy" in there.  It felt wrong to have that song missing.  Even if we've had other releases. 

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" falls into the same category as "Pride" for me.  Over used.  But I didn't see "Scarlet" making it on it's own. Actually I had counted it out because it didn't have "Walk On" to be attached to.  Never thought about them including the song before it instead.  So it makes sense.  I don't think "Scarlet" stood on it's own...

Oh as for who doesn't rip the audio from the DVD?  I'm one of them.  I've always struggled with it, and I'm content to just let them put it out through the fan club like they've done with other releases.  Happy U22 and Edge's Picks didn't include the same live versions from the Rose Bowl at least...

morgan1098

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
Electrical Storm and Your Blue Room made the cut, so I'm happy.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see Scarlet on there too.

Actually, the fact that TWO out of the 15 songs are Passengers tracks makes my head explode.

jw

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
I figured from the start that "Crazy" would show up on this.  If it's supposed to be representative of the 360 tour along with what's on U22, then you had to have "Crazy" in there.  It felt wrong to have that song missing.  Even if we've had other releases. 

I agree.  Even though Crazy is on a couple of other releases, this is "home" for that song.  How can you have 360 tracks and not include Crazy?  I was disappointed it didn't make it on U22, so I'm happy to see it here.

George

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
As happy as I would have been with "Mothers of the Disappeared", I figured from the start that "Crazy" would show up on this.  If it's supposed to be representative of the 360 tour along with what's on U22, then you had to have "Crazy" in there.  It felt wrong to have that song missing.  Even if we've had other releases. 
In my goal to "have" everything, I'd sacrifice anything that I've already got for something I haven't.  But yes, of all the 360 songs, Crazy is far and away the most representative of the tour.  I'm not crazy for triple Crazy, but I certainly get why its here.

Never thought about them including the song before it instead.  So it makes sense.  I don't think "Scarlet" stood on it's own...
I look forward to seeing hearing how it flows.  I, too, have trouble imagining it without Walk On.

Oh as for who doesn't rip the audio from the DVD?  I'm one of them.  I've always struggled with it, and I'm content to just let them put it out through the fan club like they've done with other releases.
Aaron, I'm genuinely surprised.  I actually played my Rose Bowl rip many, many more times than any studio album since it came out.  The same was the case for the the Slane, Boston, Zoo, Vertigo, and Mexico City videos.

Electrica the fact that TWO out of the 15 songs are Passengers tracks makes my head explode.
Ditto.  Absolute, complete ditto.  Two songs from the peak of their experimental phase are embraced and captured forever here 15 years on, but not a glint of a note from Pop.  As I think about it, Velvet Dress could have very nicely replaced Your Blue Room on alternating nights, at least musically.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
> Aaron, I'm genuinely surprised.  I actually played my Rose Bowl rip many, many more times than any studio album since it came out.  The same was the case for the the Slane, Boston, Zoo, Vertigo, and Mexico City videos.

I grab boots of the shows I've attended so I tend to have a wealth of live material to listen to from any particular tour.  And usually there's some good stuff floating around.  So while I don't have a copy of the Rose Bowl show in audio, I do have boots from the 20 odd shows I did make it to.  The quality varies, from barely listenable to soundboard (London and Montreal both got streamed / aired on radio so there's great quality versions available).  So if I'm grabbing a live show to listen to I'm more likely to grab something I was at rather than going back to the live releases.  I'm more a studio type guy.  But I do enjoy when there's something released from a show I've been to, especially if it's memorable.  :)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
So the four songs that haven't been released are:
Return of the Stingray Guitar
Mothers of the Disappeared
Angel of Harlem
Party Girl

That'd be a nice X-Mas day EP to download from u2.com wouldn't it?!  :-)

miryclay

« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
When they played NYD in Dublin it was pretty special. I think that it if the band played it sparingly it could be the next Bad. That is, fans crave it instead of loathe it.

miryclay

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
Can someone document the live releases of Crazy from 360? With locations?

miryclay

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
Can someone document the live releases of Crazy from 360? With locations?

miryclay

Dublin - Wide Awake in Europe/Artifical Horizon
Rose Bowl - U2 360 At The Rosebowl Promo CD
Somerville Theater, Boston - Amazon/iTunes download

miryclay

« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
so this one is from where?

Paris...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »
When they played NYD in Dublin it was pretty special. I think that it if the band played it sparingly it could be the next Bad. That is, fans crave it instead of loathe it.

I agree.  It was special because it wasn't expected.  But all of a sudden I was enjoying it, and loving it, because it seemed fresh, and it seemed like being reunited with a long lost friend.  :)

miryclay

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
Can someone remind me what the Sommerville downloads were all about with cover art?

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
miryclay, according to the iTunes "Get Info" box for my Somerville download of I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight:
Somerville Theatre (Boston, Massachusetts)
performance on March 11, 2009
Amazon.com MP3

I always buy downloads from iTunes (US) first.  If iTunes doesn't have them available, only then will I buy them from Amazon.com MP3.  I'm guessing that was the situation back when I bought the Somerville download of I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight.

I did not get the other March 11, 2009 Somerville performances via download.  Here's where I got them:

I imported (into my iTunes library) my Somerville Theatre performance of Breathe from my Magnificent CD-Single.

I imported (into my iTunes library) my Somerville Theatre performance of Magnificent from my I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight CD-Single.

I will try to paste the cover art for the I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight download:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:23:56 AM by dagobah »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
miryclay, according to the iTunes "Get Info" box for my Somerville download of I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight:
Somerville Theatre (Boston, Massachusetts)
performance on March 11, 2009
Amazon.com MP3

I always buy downloads from iTunes (US) first.  If iTunes doesn't have them available, only then will I buy them from Amazon.com MP3.  I'm guessing that was the situation back when I bought the Somerville download of I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight.

I did not get the other March 11, 2009 Somerville performances via download.  Here's where I got them:

I imported (into my iTunes library) my Somerville Theatre performance of Breathe from my Magnificent CD-Single.

I imported (into my iTunes library) my Somerville Theatre performance of Magnificent from my I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight CD-Single.

I will try to paste the cover art for the I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight download:

Vertigo is also on one of those Magnificent CD singles.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2012, 02:48:03 AM »
I received my copy of From The Ground Up today. Very, very nice package and definitely worth the renewal price.

The cover image is contained in the book, so I've made some iTunes cover art to match the book cover. The only drawback is that Aaron isn't hiding in this one.  ;)