Author Topic: SHM CDs  (Read 5086 times)

u2expert

SHM CDs
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Does anyone know if U2 has released any SHM (Super High Material) CDs besides 'The Best of 1990-2000'?

What are SHM CDs you ask? Alan Cross from 'The Ongoing History of New Music' will explain:
http://corusexploremusic.media.streamtheworld.com/audio/0043_shm_cds_100203741.mp3

Cheers,
u2expert

Scarlet

Re: SHM CDs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
Didn't know U2 had released any ? Isn't the SHM stuff Japan only releases ? Another dead before released format.

slaneman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »
Does anyone know if U2 has released any SHM (Super High Material) CDs besides 'The Best of 1990-2000'?

So, do you have this?

http://www.jpophelp.com/scripts/newsite/proddetails.asp?listid=JPN-UICY-90831&showname=1

I've read a little about SHM but have never heard one. Unlike XRCD (also by JVC), HDCD, and SACD, SHM involves no remastering or bit enhancement to the original. I know there's debate about whether the SHMs are actual improvements or not since it's the same 1s and zeroes being burned, just on a different type of material. The other formats do sound better, though the differences are easier to hear on better stereo systems.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »
So to be clear, SACD and HDCD use higher sampling and/or bit rates, XRCD uses a different mastering process, and SHM is just a different kind of plastic.

I have a Denon CD player that plays SACD, DVD-Audio, and HDCD. I really wish one of these formats would have taken off.

It's an iPod world now, I guess.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »
Gotta love "High Definition" CD. "Check out the resolution on this... sound..."
I wish they at least made new formats more cross-compatible. Most CD players these days will play SACD, but I can't play DVD-audio in much of anything. It's even worse when I want to rip a DVD-audio track onto my computer -- way harder than just ripping a CD. (Though I use Linux, so it's expected that some things are harder to do).
I'm sad that even just ordinary CDs are going out of style. It wasn't until earlier this month that I finally started purchasing digital music online. I like having hard copies, so they're all going to end up on a disc anyway. And I like having the case and the art and everything. Something to line up on the shelf.
I've seen a slow increase of digital albums and singles on sale in stores, in the form of cheap little memory sticks packed in CD-sized boxes. I guess that's a decent compromise, but given the choice I'd still buy the CD.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:49:39 AM »
I've seen a slow increase of digital albums and singles on sale in stores, in the form of cheap little memory sticks packed in CD-sized boxes. I guess that's a decent compromise, but given the choice I'd still buy the CD.

SlotMusic = FAIL

slaneman

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:17:44 AM »
SlotMusic = FAIL

:D

I was going to wait at least 1 more post before SIS=Sinking Into Sarcasm...

... however SHM, being a Japanese invention, always makes me think of the Seinfeld episode involving the SHTH="Super Happy Terrific Hour".

The Who Sell Out Remastered...7.95
The Who Sell Out Deluxe 2 CD...19.95
The Who Sell Out Deluxe 2 CD SHM...59.95

SHM=VD(voodoo digital)