Author Topic: Sugar Daddy released in US  (Read 3137 times)

slaneman

Sugar Daddy released in US
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »
Even though Amazon still shows a release date of Nov. 24---
The long awaited, highly anticipated latest Tom Jones album, 24 Hours, containing "Sugar Daddy", finally showed up iin my mailbox today. Europeans had an earlier release date, so they can appreciate the tingles of excitement and shakey hands I experienced ripping open the Amazon mailer. This is Tom's first new release in 15 years over here. My mother, rest her soul, was a huge fan. I grew up listening to "What's New Pussycat". Before CD...before cassette...before 8-track! At the dawn of Stereo...just after Edison...

Before loading it in my PC I prudently reached for my inhaler and heart attack pills to take the edge off what I knew would be a taxing evening of listening...and carefully ripping to wav and flac and making folders for my U2 A-Z  and collaborations sections on my detachable USB drive. Oh my! Maybe I'll take another pill.

I shoved my copies of U2 by U2, Pimm, and U2: A Diary (highly recommended btw) to the side and carefully placed my electron microscope on my U2 work table to attempt to read the credits for the song. Here's what I found:

(Bono / The Edge / Simon Carmody) Universal Music Publishing BV...blah-blah...The Edge-Guitar. Bono-Slasher Guitar. Paul Farr-Guitar. Alex Bonifanti-Bass. Darren Lewis-Keyboards, Programming and Arrangement. lyiola Babalola-Synths, Programming and Arrangement.

I knew it!! Bono on Slasher Guitar!!! And Bono collaborated with his old friend Simon...sly devils...I googled furiously...and landed on a Tom Jones website reading his fans' reactions to "Sugar Daddy". And while not as offensive as some recent spam here, I'll not repeat their comments.

More googling...there's the beach pics...I need another pill
Wasn't that Simon Carmody with old pal Bono and those 19 year old bikini girls? Hmmmm...sugar daddies...

More googling...wtf is a slasher guitar? Any electric guitar players out there? Alls I found was an Epiphone Slasher guitar for $139. Gotta get me one of those.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:08:11 PM by slaneman »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: Sugar Daddy released in US
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
Perhaps a slasher guitar is one being played by someone who is murdering the tune?  ;D

I'm going to try to pick up this CD on Tuesday.  Then I'm not going into another store until after New Years.