Author Topic: Vertigo Live DVD  (Read 6748 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Vertigo Live DVD
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »
According to Musictap, the Vertigo Live DVD is set for release on 11/15 in both Standard and Deluxe editions.  No further details at this time.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 07:46:12 AM »
Awesome if it's true.

That's probably the quickest they've released a live show on video - the tour wouldn't even be over by then.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 04:29:10 PM »
there is news about a U2 DVD up on atu2.com

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:37:12 AM »
I have been looking and looking for this on Amazon, and finally found it under the title "Vertigo 2005."

Posting it just in case you are searching for "U2" as I was.  There are no details about the release on the page, but it appears both versions are listed.  However, the only way to tell the two apart is by the price of the items.  I preordered both, and plan to cancel one as details filter through.  I hate when an item is $24, only $1 away from qualifying for the free shipping.  Then I have to find something else to include in the order.

[Edited on 10/17/2005 by jimbo913]

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:59:04 AM »
The single DVD version is only $13.99! That's a bargain bin price.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:59:54 AM »
Yeah, I thought that was a good price too.  The other one is close to 24 IIRC.  So being a dollar short, I added the single version too.  I guess I need both like I needed all three of HTDAAB... but I got those too (insert crazy face).

[Edited on 10/18/2005 by jimbo913]

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »
Well....??? What do you think?

I've had my "deluxe edition" for 2 days now. I have watched the show  maybe 10 times...the 2nd disc only twice. It will be on repeat at my store for a while. ..

Is this the right place to gather reactions and comments about it?

Who else has watched it?

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »
I guess my post didn't go through yesterday.

I haven't yet listened to the second DVD, but will while away for the holidays.  I ripped a copy of the audio and have listened to it several times.  I think the audio suffers a bit from too much bass and some arena echoing, but it is still a welcome addition to my collection.  Can't wait for the Milan show :)

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 10:44:35 AM »
Hey folks, long time no post...

I did pick up the double-disc version, because, well, it's what the collector does, right?

So far, I've only watched up to LAPOE.  That was last week.  I've had no real desire to go back and finish.

It just...  it doesn't grab me.  It doesn't feel like being at a U2 show to me.  There are things that I like about it, but lots that I don't.

The best thing about it so far is the sound mix.  It does sound fantastic.  I almost wish that it sounded *less* crisp!  Some songs that are just walls of noise in concert (LAPOE, for example) come through way too cleanly, in my opinion.  Also, I wish there was a little more crowd noise included...  but that's just personal preference (I like a great sounding AUD recording over a SBD most times).  Overall, though...  a bang-up job with the audio production.

The worst thing...  the direction.  While the shots might look nice, they're gone before your eyes have a chance to adjust to them.  I think I'm still one of the "MTV generation"; I do know how to follow a fast-paced video.  But the editing job is garbage in my view.  All the quick cuts, the rapid zooms, the messing around with focus to be "artsy"...  I hate it.  Not to mention that the wacky camera angles just feel bizarre.

I also cannot wait for the Milan show!  Just seeing those little teaser clips during the 60 minutes interview the other night...  wow!

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 09:43:06 PM »
Hey u2rob!

There are some great Kodak moments on this dvd. I was disappointed the first time through it but have since grown to love it, warts and all. This is the sharpest video they have ever done. (When the camera settles down for a second) And you are right, the audio is really made for a home theatre playback. It sounds like a clean arena mix. Larry's kick drum booms out through a subwoofer, if you got one, and his snares come across much better in 5.1. When you hear Edge's guitar zooming through the rear speakers on Bullet--wowo.

I agree they missed the boat totally with that second disc. They could have done so much more. It's like buying the deluxe "bomb" with the booklet. Collectors only need apply...

Some of the unscripted band interactions provide the best moments for me. Edge and Larry exchanging a little "well done" handshake after Into The Heart and Bono urging Edge on during Mysterious Ways. And sure, there may never be a concert like Slane again with all that emotion, but it was Bono's and Jordan's birthday and there are some cool moments. IMO anything even half as good as the previous dvds is still great to watch and listen. On our big screen system it will blow you away, believe me. So, next time you're in DC, look me up...:)

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »
Yeah, band interactions are indeed a critical part of this DVD.  Without them, I think they come off kinda...  well, they're kinda mechanical.

My favorite band interaction moment from what I've seen so far was Bono whacking one of Larry's cymbals with his microphone while standing behind the kit during...  I want to say it's during Electric Co.  Naturally, Hamilton decides to cut away before Larry's full reaction plays out (ARGH), but you can see him make a face and turn around towards Bono a bit while the camera is still on him.  Pretty funny stuff.

I don't know.  I'm not ready to make a final call on this, but is it not a little worrying that about 30 seconds of Milan footage excited me more than the prospect of watching the rest of this DVD?

Party at slaneman's!

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 11:21:46 AM »
I do enjoy the DVD, but it is definately lacking in something.  I chalk it up to the fact that it is an early show in the tour (I am correct in that right?).  It seems to be missing the energy of other stuff I have seen.  But again, I still have fun seeing it.  

I think it is funny that you guys say it sounds great on your home theater systems.  My audio rip doesn't sound as crisp as other audio rips from Slane and Boston.  It sounds "arena-ish" with echoes and is a bit bass heavy.  But that might be more a product of my Carolla factory stereo than anything else.  My home audio system has decided that it will no longer play CD-Rs, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it proper-like.