Author Topic: Unforgettable Fire: Re-Release October 2009  (Read 52597 times)

PekkaL

Re: Unforgettable Fire: Re-Release October 2009
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
Maggie's Farm, Help & Sun City were probably left out because of copyright and licensing issues, as U2 very rarely release covers these days.

No idea about Sunday Bloody Sunday, though. Maybe they just forgot it?  ???

[BTW: Leads me to think about the inevitable Rattle and Hum remaster. Will we see it released without Helter Skelter, All Along the Watchtower, Freedom for My People and The Star Spangled Banner? Or even without Love Rescue Me and When Love Comes to Town, if Dylan and B.B. want their shares?]  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:42:04 PM by PekkaL »

God, Part II

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »
Does anybody know the answer to my question about which version of Pride (In The Name Of Love) was played on the radio back in September 1984?

I heard "Pride" numerous times during its original release and it was always the album version (which, keep in mind, is the same version used in all three 1984 videos for the track); I never heard the so-called single version until I bought the German CD single years later.

morgan1098

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
Does anybody know the answer to my question about which version of Pride (In The Name Of Love) was played on the radio back in September 1984?

I heard "Pride" numerous times during its original release and it was always the album version (which, keep in mind, is the same version used in all three 1984 videos for the track); I never heard the so-called single version until I bought the German CD single years later.

Yeah, even if they had both versions available, I think most radio DJs would favor the album version because it's shorter.

Also, I just listened to the single version again, and the 2nd guitar solo isn't the only "addition."  Bono also sings "In the name of love, what more in the name of love" an additional 4 times leading up to the 2nd guitar solo.  His voice actually sounds a bit rougher at times than what we're used to on the album version.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
I think I'm the last person to discover these two versions of Pride (In The Name Of Love) are different:

- the one on the The Unforgettable Fire album (3:48)
- the Single Version that is now available on as a bonus track on the Remastered Version on The Unforgettable Fire (4:40)

From about 3:20 to 3:33 of the Single Version, I noticed something new.  Is that little section the only difference between the 2 versions?  Bono seems to be saying a few new lyrics.  If I'm hearing this correctly, then I would think this would require the Lyrics Section of this website to list a Single Version of Pride (In The Name Of Love) ....... kind of like the song Please is listed separately as both a Studio Version and a Single Version.  Here are my specific questions:

1 - Is that little section the only difference between the 2 versions?
2 - If not, what are the other differences?
3 - Is the new Bono part something that requires a set of lyrics for the Single Version of Pride (In The Name Of Love)?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed thoroughly .....

The extra section in the single version actually also includes an additional chorus (starting at 2:43). If you compare the tracks, the chorus before that little "nobody like you" ad-lib section isn't in the album version. Instead, the album version goes straight from "they could not take your pride" to the chorus after the ad-lib dealie. I like the extra chorus, Bono's voice is rawer and more expressive.

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
Does anyone else detect a little of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For at the very beginning of Disappearing Act? I was humming it after my first listen and my brain kept leading my mouth into doing Still Haven't Found without me even realising it. Is it mentioned anywhere if this song or part of it was used for Still Haven't Found? Does anyone else think there's a similarity there?

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
Yes, my immediate reaction also was ...... the start of Disappearing Act sounds like the guitar part in I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »
Good to know I'm not going insane.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
Good to know I'm not going insane.

That's hardly a logical conclusion.

miryclay

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:44 PM »
I listened to the Pride single off of UF RM and it seems a few beats slower. Maybe it has just gotten faster thru live performance...

God, Part II

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
I listened to the Pride single off of UF RM and it seems a few beats slower. Maybe it has just gotten faster thru live performance...

That's exactly it; they play it in a higher (and less effective, IMO) key live.

God, Part II

« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
Well, it took me longer than I'd hoped because I was working my way through The Beatles new mono and stereo sets but I was finally able to compare and contrast the new remaster of TUF with the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs 24K Gold Master Recording CD and...

in my opinion...

the winner is...

the MFSL disc.  Why, you ask?  Much like THE JOSHUA TREE beforehand, general fidelity seemed equal between the two (in other words, neither was noticeably louder or clearer than the other); however, I noticed two distinct differences between the two, one slight, one more notable.  In the slight difference category, the new remaster actually gave a tad more clarity to the higher frequencies; it didn't make for any dramatic change, though.  Most evident for me was hearing the acoustic guitars chiming in at the close of the title track with more clarity and transparency than I'd heard before.  In the more notable corner, identical to the experience I had with THE JOSHUA TREE remaster vs. MFSL comparison, the bass on the MFSL is much richer, punchier and weightier.  Now, people seem to be of two minds about that.  For some, this level of bass seems "overcooked", murky and too "thick"; for others, like me, it adds needed bouancy, power and just sheer rock-and-rollness to the album.  Also, as a slight side note, you can clearly hear the tape hiss from "Elvis Presley and America" sharply end as we move into "MLK" on the remaster, which I find off-putting; no such sharp audio drop-off is evident on the MFSL.  So, for my money, though the remaster is obviously a clear improvement upon the earlier mass releases of TUF, I'll be sticking with the MFSL for my future listening needs.  That said, the bonus CD with remixes and b-sides sounds fabulous, much better than any previous CD versions I've heard and, actually, to my ears, packs more sonic wallop than the remastered TUF album proper.

slaneman

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
heh--you just had to mention the Beatles boxes... 8)

But thanks for posting the TUF comparison.  ;)

I haven't tried comparing the various versions yet but I was immediately impressed by the bonus CD.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
A few days ago, I subscribed to U2.com so I could guarantee my acquisition of the U22 Live 2-CD Set offered to subscribers only.  It had been 2 years since I had a subscription.  As many of you know, with this U2.com subscription, they sent me a 25% off online coupon code to be used at the U2 Shop on U2.com.  I thought "Why not try to use it toward the Super Deluxe Edition Box Set [2-CD / 1 DVD] re-release of The Unforgettable Fire ?"

So I went to the U2 Shop (on U2.com) to see what price was available.  But the online shopping process didn't make sense to me.  It started out at U2.com, then went to fanfire.com, which is what I expected.  But I don't understand what happened next.  It linked to Amazon (UK).  At that point, I stopped the check-out process without getting a price because I just didn't feel comfortable.  I'm here in the United States.  I use Amazon (US).  Why would Amazon (UK) allow me to purchase through them?  It just didn't feel right.

So instead, I decided to hold off on using the 25% U2.com coupon and I went directly to Amazon (US).  I don't remember how much you guys paid for the 2-CD/1-DVD Edition when it was re-released in October 2009.  I have been checking the price on Amazon (US) numerous times over the last few weeks.  It's weird how this pricing stuff works.  A few weeks ago, it was about $45.  Then it jumped to $54 and it stayed $54 for a while.  Then, tonight, I saw it priced at $34.  So it dropped $20 in one day!  I figured I had better take advantage of this price decrease.  I just finished my purchase on Amazon (US).

Does anybody have feedback on what I was experiencing with the U2 Shop/fanfire/Amazon (UK) shopping process?  Here's why I'm interested in feedback.  If it's possible, I would like to use the 25% off online coupon code toward the purchase of the Super Deluxe Edition of Achtung Baby from the U2 Shop (on U2.com).  I emphasize . . . . if it's possible.  Things I will have to consider:
- the difference between the U2 Shop price and the Amazon (US) price and how much difference the 25% off coupon makes
- I will pay shipping at the U2 Shop, but I will get free shipping at Amazon (US) [because the order is at least $25]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:35:25 AM by columbiaeagle »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
For a while u2.com was doing music sales through Amazon - and that's why you ended up sent to Amazon UK.  They weren't actively filling orders for music through the site, they just sent people to Amazon for the box sets etc.  And no, your 25% would not have worked in that case as you were buying through Amazon.  (And even though you are in the US, you can purchase from Amazon Canada, or UK etc., I do it all the time...)

The deluxe edition of Achtung Baby is being sold through the page directly however, but people who have tried to buy it with their 25% off coupon have had difficulty applying it toward their purchase.  The 25% coupon isn't good for everything.  It wasn't good on the Achtung Baby Box, or the 360 from the Rosebowl release before it, or the Artificial Horizon LPs.  It works great on T-Shirts and the more common stuff, but they don't seem to allow it to be used for multimedia...

morgan1098

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
(And even though you are in the US, you can purchase from Amazon Canada, or UK etc., I do it all the time...)

Yes, buy from amazon.uk as often as you can!  I have gotten all sorts of stuff from there for way cheaper than I could get it from amazon us, even including the international shipping.  A couple years ago I got the Joy Division "Heart and Soul" 4CD box set from amazon.uk for $18 shipped.  It's like $50+ bucks on amazon US.

A couple caveats, though:
*Just like iTunes, you can't buy mp3s from amazon's uk store if you live in the US
*Obviously, DVDs can be a problem because you'll probably get PAL discs rather than NTSC discs.

A couple cool things:
*The price you see on amazon.uk includes Value-Added Tax (VAT) that is only applicable to UK residents.  Add the item to your cart, and if you're outside the UK you'll see the price is actually quite a bit lower than what was listed.
*To find out what your "grand total" will be, just add the items to your cart, but obviously don't hit the "Pay" button yet.  Then go to www.xe.com/ucc, and you can do a currency conversion to see what you'll pay in US dollars.  In almost every case, the same item on amazon.uk will be significantly cheaper than buying it as an "import" through amazon.com.