Author Topic: some info (I hope interesting) for the discography section...  (Read 5236 times)

Trevor

some info (I hope interesting) for the discography section...
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »
I'm making the "complete" complete u2 correcting all the errors made by itunes and adding every missing track from my collection and I have noticed some interesting things that could be useful for the discography section:

Even Better Than The Real Thing (Live) from "Vox Presents The Radio 1 FM Sessions" - the cover say 3.38 but the track is long 4.09, at the end there is a little bit of mysterious ways...

New Day (Reggae Remix) - this song is co-written by bono too, as you can read on the cover, so we can understand that the part written by bono is what he sings since it is not present on the other version where bono do not appear on the credits...

New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) / Take Me To The River / Light My Fire [live] from Simple Minds' "Silver Box" is long 12.33...

One (Live) from "Tibetan Freedom Concert" - the previous track has the intro by bono at the very end...

Rockin' In The Free World (Live) from Pearl Jam's "Love, Reign O'er Me" fan club single is long 5.27, it is an edited version of their performance which is some minutes longer...

the us version of snake charmer ep (cat. 90151-1-B) has the alternate version of "Snake Charmer" 6.15 and "Snake Charmer (Reprise)" 6.58, while hold on to your dreams is the same version of the ep with the cat. IMA1...

I also compared these versions with the audience recordings I have and I can say that:

Sweet Jane (Live) from Lone Justice's "This World Is Not My Home" is recorded live at the Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT, April 23, 1985...

Satellite Of Love (Live) from "Peace Together" is recorded live at the Texas Stadium, Irving, TX, October 16, 1992

City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, Miracle Drug (Live from Chicago) from U2.COMmunication are from 9th
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You (Live from Milan) are from 21th
Miss Sarajevo (Live from Milan) is from 20th, same version of the single but different from the 18 singles milan dvd that is from 21th
The Fly (Live from Chicago) is from 10th

Vertigo (Live) 4.42 from "Vertigo Live From Chicago (Promo)" is from 9th, same as u2.communication
Cry / The Electric Co. (Live) 5.56 is from 9th
Beautiful Day (Live) 4.32 is from 10th
All Because Of You (Live) 3.45 is from 10th, same as itunes single

Original Of The Species (Live from Milan) from itunes 18 singles bonus is long 4.50...

Rob ;-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:58:30 AM by Trevor »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: some info (I hope interesting) for the discography section...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
Your complete Complete U2 is more complete than mine.  ;D

I've only included tracks featuring the whole band.  I've got a separate playlist for Bono's solo stuff, etc.

Also,  I very nearly deleted your post along with all of the spam.  Glad to finally read something else on this board.

Trevor

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:49:02 AM »
...I'm trying to make it really complete  :)

there are some stuff it was years I don't listen to it... I also noticed that the original version of do they know it's christmas from the 1984 single is about 10 seconds longer than the one from the 20th anniversary single (considering it has about 5 seconds of silence at the end)... and the 12" mix has the part with all the xmas messages, the sames of feed the world but in different order, on the 12" mix bono is the first to make the wishes :)

royal station 4/16 - the cover says 6.40 but the song is long 7.10

lemon (lemonade mix) and mix edit have a little different lyrics than the one on this site...

...note that I have found several errors on the original complete u2, the biggest is on the melon cd, they forgotten to include the bad yard club mix 8.36!! but there are others like the fades between discotheque and velvet dress on the beautiful day single, the micro gap between tracks on please popheart ep. streets single version is not the right version. same thing for angel of harlem and even better: they include the single versions on the album!! ...and there are more, I lost the count...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:53:10 AM by Trevor »

cleaner

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »
always hoped anyone would start to show little mistakes in the discography. Cause I'm only collecting tracks from the whole band or bono singing it had never been a complete revision if I had started with it. So I think this is the right place to collect suggestions of corrections.

- "40" on the German Single-Version is not the same like the version on the album; there is the strange sound at the beginning missing, so length of the single-version is only 2:35 (instead 2:37)

- "New York New York" by Ecco Homo: the CD-Version contains "Stress", length is 3:30 like on the 7" vinyl. There is an official 12", rooArt 875261-1, which contains a shorter version (3:56) at the B-Side with following "Stress (3:30)" and a longer version (5:30) at the A-side; it's black vinyl with picture label and the cover is a bit different to the other ones: the "New York"-writing on the top is black instead of mint, the writing in the second line mint instead of black, except the "O" from York, this is yellow

...to continue...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
anyone else have any additions here?  Bumping this one forward so i can make these updates asap.  :)

yes we are updating, and yes we are going back through all the old stuff....

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »
anyone else have any additions here?  Bumping this one forward so i can make these updates asap.  :)

yes we are updating, and yes we are going back through all the old stuff....

::: Oh yes!!  ;D

I'm ready whenever you say, to help!
JOSE

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
Just posting again.  The discography has grown by leaps and bounds since the last post.  I am faithfully referring back to this topic and others here in the forum when searching for information.  Today for instance I am documenting the deluxe version of 18 singles, and the live tracks from Milan, and the information Trevor provides above is invaluable.

I ask again - does anyone have anything along these lines they'd like to see added?

For those wondering on updates on the progress of the discography?  All singles entries have been rewritten. Fan Club CDs, and the remastered albums are all rewritten. Collaborations with other artists have all been rewritten. Currently working on various artists compilation appearances, and digital only albums.  We are getting very near a point where we can relaunch. Hopefully before the end of the year we will be able to launch the new site.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:09:40 AM »
Going through all of this stuff I found one tidbit that hasn't ever been covered in the discography before...

The song Blue by Zucchero, was released in Germany as a single with a subtitle "Blue: Remixes".  That CD contained three mixes.  Blue (English Version), Blue (Instrumental) and Blue (Edit).  Looking at the songs on this single I figured it was the album mix, the edit we are familiar with and an instrumental track.  The album version is 5:48 in length.

What i found here though is the album version isn't present on this single.  Instead the track labelled "English Version" is an edit at 4:33 in length, which has never been listed in the discography, the "Edit" is the 4:04 version that we've had listed for some time.  And the instrumental, although labelled as such, actually contains some lyrics which means I should probably list it in the discography as well even if Bono is not specifically credited on the credits for the single:

"I'm in the mood. I'm in the mood of love.

Green
Red
Grey

Blue

Green
Red
Grey

Blue

Green
Red
Grey

Blue"