Author Topic: Kindergarten  (Read 2781 times)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
Kindergarten
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
Does anyone know when the Kindergarten version of Achtung Baby fits into the timeline of their releases? For instance, the version of Until the End of the World is more different from the finished product than the version that appeared on the film soundtrack, so I'm guessing it comes before that. But is it before or after the Red Hot & Blue version of Night and Day?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: Kindergarten
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
The answer is "various times".

Some of the tracks are sketches from throughout the recording sessions, and one, I think it was Trying To Throw Your Arms...well it was little more than an instrumental and Bono's vocals were apparantly recorded recently.  You can see the mention of "Declan Gaffney" in the recording credits...he wasn't around in 1991 working with U2...

"Until the End of the World", "Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses", "Acrobat" and "Even Better than the Real Thing" all took shape in Berlin at Hansa Ton Studios.  As well as work on "Salome", "North and South of the River", and some early work on "Love is Blindness" - mostly Larry drumming...Some of these kindergarten versions could come from that work.  I'm basing those on the material lifted from the studio that appeared in the 7 disc set from those sessions..."One" and "Mysterious Ways" also developed there but likely after the stolen material was lifted.

"The Fly", "Ultraviolet" and "Zoo Station" were developed after the Hansa sessions, in Dublin. 

In July of 1991 they were working to finish off songs, and that included changes to mixes for "Mysterious Ways", "One" and "The Fly".  So some of those could be alternate mixes created during that time.

No good answer, but I feel that the Kindergarten disc was not an "alternative" version of the album, but was instead assembled from various demos from various points in time instead...

morgan1098

Re: Kindergarten
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
I love, love Kindergarten.  I agree that it's probably assembled from demos from all over the place, but I actually like that it doesn't sound like just "demos."  Not as polished as the final album, but not rough sketches either.  And all of the different melody lines and lyrics are cool to hear.  I like how there's an entirely different chorus on "Zoo Station" that sounds like it was lifted from "Boy."  Of course, U2 was trying to NOT sound like U2 for this record, so I can see why they ditched it.