Author Topic: She's a Mystery to Me (Live)  (Read 3238 times)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
She's a Mystery to Me (Live)
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
I used to have a live version I downloaded of U2 playing She's a Mystery to Me. I thought it'd be the same recording as on the All Because of You single, but when I eventually bought that single it turned out to be different. I liked the one I had much better (it was the full song, Bono knew the words, it ended properly). Does anyone know if there's an official release with a different performance of the song on it?

God, Part II

Re: She's a Mystery to Me (Live)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
There is not...the one with the amusingly bungled ending is the only official release.

miryclay

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »
I've got a live version from the Point Depot on a bootleg called

U2 The Ultimate Acoustic Collection.

It has drums and is a soundboard. Its actually a great version

miryclay

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
The guitar solo is kinda wonky and it has horns...

slaneman

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:11 PM »
If you have a lossless soundboard from Point Depot then it's from 1989-12-30, which was an outstanding show, as were all the Point Depot shows. In fact, maybe 4 of the best shows ever. This was the first time the band ever played this song, which Bono mentions---

"Uh, this is a song, uh, I’ve never played…before, so…
A little lower, a little lower if I hear myself it puts me off
So you have to keep quiet for this or I’ll forget the words"

I don't know if Bono's remarks are on your copy.

Those were the horns of B. B. Kings band, not wonky at all--remember you got a bootleg, not a finished product, even if it's a soundboard. The songs stretches a bit at the end probably because it was brand new to everyone. Otherwise you got Bono in great voice at a magical venue with one of only 2 complete versions.

The second time they played it, and the only other time Bono sang the full lyrics live was on 1990-01-06 in Rotterdam when U2 were making up gigs they'd postponed for the Lovetown tour. This version has Bono bringing in Claudia and Sophia from BB's singers to add some harmony. And they did an excellent job. This is also a great version, though I think it's only appeared as a very good lossless audience recording. The audience clapping can be annoying.

The few other live versions Bono only sang half the lyrics. The Brooklyn Bridge version as B-side is remarkable to me because Bono could still hit the high notes pretty well after riding around on a flatbed truck on a chilly day for 8 hours. Even if only half the lyrics were sung, it still sounds great to me. My thinking is they decided to make the song shorter after Lovetown to fit their setlist better whenever they wanted it. ZooTV, Pop--only one time each acoustic. Gives Larry a break.

So for now either Point Depot or Rotterdam. Or the short versions. Maybe the vault will open one day and there will be a Sun City version.