Author Topic: NEW Fan Club Remix CD  (Read 11140 times)

morgan1098

NEW Fan Club Remix CD
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:19 AM »
According to this blurb at U2.com, if you subscribe to the site now you'll get a new U2 remix CD ("spanning their entire career... plus a few surprises") mailed to you before the end of 2009.

http://www.u2.com/service/subscribe

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: NEW Fan Club Remix CD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Wow, that's far and away the earliest they've ever announced the annual fan club CD.

God, Part II

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »
This year was the first time I ever subscribed to U2.com, in early Feb.; since the mail out of this remix CD will happen in 2009, is there historical precedence that there's any chance those who already subscribed earlier this year will qualify for this disc?

morgan1098

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
This year was the first time I ever subscribed to U2.com, in early Feb.; since the mail out of this remix CD will happen in 2009, is there historical precedence that there's any chance those who already subscribed earlier this year will qualify for this disc?

There's a lot of talk about this on the Interference forum, and I think the theory is that if you subscribed to U2.com in 2009, you will likely receive the remix CD even if you already got the Medium, Rare and Remastered CDs earlier in the year.  That's not official, of course.

I have avoided subscribing to U2.com so far, and instead have picked up the fan club CDs on ebay after they are released.  I got the Slane Castle CDs for less than $20 and the Medium, Rare and Remastered set for less than $15.  The older CDs are expensive, though.  It's rare to find the Zoo TV CDs for less than $80 (I still haven't taken the plunge).  And Melon has always commanded a top price.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
They just released a bunch of new tour dates as well. That means scalpers will be signing up for accounts to get the presale codes and then dumping the remix CD on eBay. There will be plenty to go around.

These CDs have historically not been sent out until right around the December holidays. Looks like my account doesn't expire until December 2, so I plan to wait until then to renew. I don't want to take any chances on getting another copy of Medium Rare instead of the new remix CD.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:40:03 AM by Brad »

miryclay

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 02:12:25 PM »
I think the logic will be that U2 had a 'good year' and are offering something back to their fans.
To put it mildly.

God, Part II

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
I think the logic will be that U2 had a 'good year' and are offering something back to their fans.
To put it mildly.

Really?  Outside of the robust sales for the 360-degree tour, I thought this was going down as the worst year for U2 since the early '80s.  Their lowest selling album since THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE, with three singles that have barely charted.  I've felt nothing but sympathy for the boys since March...

morgan1098

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »
If the tour is successful, it's a good year, at least financially.  Hardly any bands make money selling albums and singles any more.

But I'm sure the band would like to see NLOTH "catch on" and start selling like hot cakes.  Not for the money, but just because it's an awesome album that deserves to be heard.

God, Part II

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
But I'm sure the band would like to see NLOTH "catch on" and start selling like hot cakes.  Not for the money, but just because it's an awesome album that deserves to be heard. because U2 (and I) is desperately afraid that the general populace no longer considers them relevant.

Fixed.  :(

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
But I'm sure the band would like to see NLOTH "catch on" and start selling like hot cakes.  Not for the money, but just because it's an awesome album that deserves to be heard. because U2 (and I) is desperately afraid that the general populace no longer considers them relevant.

Fixed.  :(

heh. I feel that their output would be better this decade if it was less consensus and more Edge (and Bono to an extent).  While incomplete, the HTDAAB demos were more interesting (IMO) than the finished product.

God, Part II

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
heh. I feel that their output would be better this decade if it was less consensus and more Edge (and Bono to an extent).  While incomplete, the HTDAAB demos were more interesting (IMO) than the finished product.

In my own opinion, I can't go with you there ("Vertigo" has more punch than "Native Son", "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" moved from a clumsy demo to a classic final cut, "Yahweh" was much messier as a demo and, most improved of all, "Fast Cars" is just all around more badass than "Xanax and Wine"), but I do agree that it seems there were too many cooks in the kitchen on NO LINE ON THE HORIZON, which dulls the edge of the whole project.  There isn't a single song on the album that didn't have its sonic and/or emotional effect improved upon by tracks from earlier albums.  Don't get me wrong--I really like the album, and even mediocre U2 still demolishes the best work from almost any other band out there, but it never really leaves the runway for me.  I hope Lanois and Eno return to the background with their producing efforts in the future, and if they feel the need to mix it up again by performing with the band as musicians/vocalists, it be done as another Passengers project, not as a U2 one.  Of course, I could be wrong--most people think HTDAAB is the worst of their three albums from this decade; I think it's easily their best.  All I know is that musical popularity/relevance is a fickle dame, and I'm afraid that, in the eyes of the general populace, just the setback of a single album may have permanently knocked U2 off their "greatest band in the world" post.  Hopefully, for future projects, they'll get better about picking their singles which, for NLOTH, should have been "Magnificent (Unedited)" and "Breathe", instead of "Get On Your Boots" and "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight".  But when "City of Blinding Lights" was not the immediate follow-up to "Vertigo" and then, when it was finally released as a single, it was edited down to a pale shadow of its original grandeur, I knew definitively that the decision-making process of picking singles was not U2's strong point anymore...

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
Can we get back on topic, please?  Concerning the new remix CD for subscribing to U2.com ..... when they say "it will feature remixes spanning U2's catalogue", it sounds to me like MOST of the songs would have already been available on the Complete U2 digital box set (via iTunes).  I have NO connections when it comes to information.  I am just using logic here.  But what is this stuff about "and some surprises"?  Before I pay $50 to renew, I would like to know what this refers to.

The previous subscription renewal offers were fantastic because their songs weren't previously available:
the U2 Communication CD/CD-ROM set
the Zoo TV Live In Sydney 2-CD set
the U2 Go Home 2-CD set

Back in March (2009), U2.com offered the 2-CD set "Medium, Rare, & Remastered" for renewing your subscription.  Weren't all the songs on it already available on the Complete U2 digital box set (iTunes)?  Because of that, I didn't renew.  Like many of us, I had already purchased the digital box set.  Is it possible this new 2010 subscription offer is the same concept as the offer from March 2009?

Take note:  I understand the idea of "surprising" us sounds good in theory.  And I also understand that some people don’t get a U2.com subscription just so they can get the bonus CD-sets.

My main point is ...... U2.com informed us (in advance) about the U2 Communication, Sydney, & Go Home sets.  It allowed us to know what we were getting for our renewal fee.  Maybe that will still happen.  But if we still don't know by December ....... I hope that someone on this forum has the connections to find out what the "surprises" are.  At this point, does anyone know?

morgan1098

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
I'm guessing they'll announce a track list shortly, but until then, I don't think anyone knows what will be on it.  My theory is that the "exclusive" or "never before released" mixes will be newer songs from NLOTH.  Probably mixes of Boots or Crazy Tonight that didn't appear on the CD singles.

If the ONLY reason you would join U2.com is for the CD, I say skip it.  That's what I'm doing.  These CDs will be available on ebay for a reasonable price, at least before they go out of print.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
My main point is ...... U2.com informed us (in advance) about the U2 Communication, Sydney, & Go Home sets.  It allowed us to know what we were getting for our renewal fee.  Maybe that will still happen.  But if we still don't know by December ....... I hope that someone on this forum has the connections to find out what the "surprises" are.  At this point, does anyone know?

You'll have a whole year of that fan club offer.  You may have to pay an extra $10 if you let your subscription lapse, but from the sounds of it they should be shipping in December (which takes most peoples dates back where they belong) - and like others have said there will be a whole whack on ebay due to scalpers and people who have multiple accounts...

But, I do have a contact at the fan club and I will ask for more information...

escapement

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »
I just did my renewal so I thought I would post here with my experience.

Cost to renew is $40.  New subscriptions are $50.  Anyone remember when it was $20?  :)

The 12 months you pay for is added on to your existing subscription.  For example my expiration date had been 02 March 2010 and now it is 02 March 2011.

The receipt for the renewal shows an entry for U2.Com5 Membership CD 'U2: Remixes'.  The catalog number of 'Medium Rare and Remastered' is U2.Com4.  Also, the subscription page advertises the new cd as the bonus for subscribing.   

The way it has worked the previous four years is one bonus per annual subscription.  So if you signed up earlier this year and already got 'Medium' you'd have to renew to get the new cd.

I'd like a tracklisting too.   What is with these guys and announcing new cd's with no tracklistings?  We've got The Unforgettable Fire remaster and now this.   And more remixes.  Meh. But I didn't bother with The Complete U2, so hopefully I'll get something I didn't already have.  Maybe.