Author Topic: New "Best Of" on November 20  (Read 5249 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
New "Best Of" on November 20
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:11:21 AM »
The timing of the new "Best Of" seems to make sense as a tie-in with U2 by U2, but I really wasn't expecting another compilation so soon.

I wonder about the wisdom of including The Saints Are Coming considering the proceeds from the single are going to charity.  Who's going to buy the single if they can wait three weeks and get it on an album.  (Well, me, for one.)

With only one brand new song, I'm sure this is going to be viewed by many as a moneygrab.  Personally, I'm always happy when there's new U2!

[Edited on 2006-10-2 by Brad]

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:29:45 AM »
I just think it's weird that out of a two and a half decade catalog, one of their definitive 18 tracks is gonna be a somewhat hastily recorded collaboration cover song.  It'd be nice to get some more extras... at least the best of 90-00 had some new mixes, edits, as well as two new tracks.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
New \"Best Of\" on November 20
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 01:50:13 PM »
Originally posted by morgan1098
Wasn't the third "Best of" supposed to focus on live material?

Anyone know what the "deluxe edition" will be?  Billboard seems to imply it's a CD, but u2tour.de claims it's a bonus DVD.

I think the "Best Of Live" idea is just fan speculation.  I've actually heard more rumors that a "Best Of The Best Of" was in their recording contract, and I think that's what we've got here.

I'm hoping for a DVD with some videos from the 80's.  I think that would make this a must buy for a lot of fans.

[Morgan, I'm going to abuse my new-found moderator superpowers here and split the rest of your post into a new thread so this one doesn't get derailed. -BH]

[Edited on 2006-10-4 by Brad]

morgan1098

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »
Thanks, Brad.  And thanks for splitting the remasters to a different thread.  I realized after I posted that it really didn't belong in the same category.  :)

As for the "Best of the Best," it will be interesting to see if it follows the same design format (b&w photo, colored border, etc.) as the 80-90 and 90-00 compilations (I'm guessing not).  Hopefully there will be a couple of tracks on there that will make it worth buying.  In addition to the two new songs, perhaps:
*Original of the Species (Single version - this was only available as a promo or download)
*WTSHNN (single mix w/ Edge on backing vocals - this version wasn't included in the Complete U2 digital box set).
*Pride (longer version from the 12" single)

I know none of these are very likely, but it would be nice not to have the exact same tracks that already appear on the previous compilations.

Also, with only 16 tracks to choose from, will anything from October or Pop make the cut?  Time will tell...

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:39:10 AM »
Hehe Brad you noticed that pretty quickly eh? =) I'll get around to hacking the code to give you the staff cosmo 'stars' sometime.

A best of live would be very cool - streets/please from rotterdam would be a no-brainer for me.  Perhaps a studio-live or the actual live performance of saints.  Of course it'll prob just be an a-side collection, but we can always dream.  Hope the bonus stuff will be something special.

morgan1098

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »
According to this rather cryptic page at CDJapan, the album will be released in Japan on November 15th and will include a bonus track.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:24:23 AM »
http://u2log.com/archive/2006/10/u2_part_with_record_label.php

They were contractually bound for 3 best-ofs, this explains the timing.